Has-been rocker Bob Dylan wins NOBEL prize in literature

ShootSpeeders

Gold Member
May 13, 2012
Actually this makes sense since literature is just entertainment.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/14/arts/music/bob-dylan-nobel-prize-literature.html?_r=0

oct 13 2016 The singer and songwriter Bob Dylan, one of the world’s most influential musicians, was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature on Thursday for “having created new poetic expressions within the great American song tradition,” in the words of the Swedish Academy.

He is the first American to win the prize since the novelist Toni Morrison, in 1993. The announcement, in Stockholm, was a surprise: Although Mr. Dylan, 75, has been mentioned often as having an outside shot at the prize, his work does not fit into the literary canons of novels, poetry and short stories that the prize has traditionally recognized.

Oh fuck! There was Obama ..... and now Zimmerman!
The Nobel Numb Skulls are keen to give the prize to minorities and Third-World upstarts. I can only assume that they only just now found out that Zimmerman is Jewish.

Actually this makes sense since literature is just entertainment.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/14/arts/music/bob-dylan-nobel-prize-literature.html?_r=0

oct 13 2016 The singer and songwriter Bob Dylan, one of the world’s most influential musicians, was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature on Thursday for “having created new poetic expressions within the great American song tradition,” in the words of the Swedish Academy.

He is the first American to win the prize since the novelist Toni Morrison, in 1993. The announcement, in Stockholm, was a surprise: Although Mr. Dylan, 75, has been mentioned often as having an outside shot at the prize, his work does not fit into the literary canons of novels, poetry and short stories that the prize has traditionally recognized.

Obama, Putin and Dylan. Nobel Prizes are becoming more like Cracker Jack prizes.

Dylan has always had the reputation of blending in without being identified as Bob Dylan. It's true. When I was introduced to him, many moons ago, as simply "Bob", I formed an immediate impression of him (we sometimes do these snap impressions when we first meet someone) without knowing who he really was. As a not famous person - I didn't like him. Later it became obvious who he was and I was going, wow - I just met Dylan and all that stuff.

I liked his music decades ago and congrats to him on his award.

Bob Dylan is a poet for his age, his lyrics speak volumes about the change in American culture. Good for him. The Dylan Thomas of his time is realized.

Does anyone take that prize seriously? They gave the prize to a terrorist (Arafat), a global warming nutjob, and a droner of children. It's the way the Devil rewards his most faithful servants.

Dylan has always had the reputation of blending in without being identified as Bob Dylan. It's true. When I was introduced to him, many moons ago, as simply "Bob", I formed an immediate impression of him (we sometimes do these snap impressions when we first meet someone) without knowing who he really was. As a not famous person - I didn't like him. Later it became obvious who he was and I was going, wow - I just met Dylan and all that stuff.

I liked him too, but Nobel worthy? Then so were Peter, Paul and Mary.....

They were just singers. Dylan is iconic as a poet.

Last edited:

Nobel doesn't mean anything. It's an empty award given to Liberals by Liberals. I withdraw my congrats.

Nobel doesn't mean anything. It's an empty award given to Liberals by Liberals. I withdraw my congrats.
And when an American wins for Physics or Chemistry or Economics, you take no pride?

And when an American wins for Physics or Chemistry or Economics, you take no pride?
That was 50 years ago. Now they give it to the biggest leftists and perverts.

They were just singers. Dylan is iconic as a poet.

Can you recite a poem he penned without looking one up?

Joan Baez was a poet too, just not sure either is Nobel caliber.
lyricsimage.jpg

He is far from a has been. He sells out his venues and is on tour right now. Plays at the Chelsea in Vegas tonight and in Phoenix on Sunday. Tickets run from about 90 dollars to 140. His last album, Fallen Angels, released a few moths ago is kind of a shocker because of the songs. For all those critical of his voice, all but one song on it are Sinatra covers and it has gotten good reviews. It was his thirty-seventh studio album release. The guy is still performing and writing.

I never liked his music and don't understand the fascination. Always sounded like he was taking a dump to me.

He was folksie, and so were the Hippies. I liked a lot of his songs. Too bad he didn't give them to other people to sing. (actually he did.) But, bless his heart, he sings off key, and like he was either drunk or had one foot in the grave.
He's nearly comatose here, but I love the words:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back