Has America arrived at the need for dictatorship?

This is just an exercise to provoke thought and hopefully untie some members here behind the idea that dictatorships are a really bad idea, what we can do to prevent that and what can be done to lower the tone of division between our political parties and citizens so we can get stuff done.
An excellent idea, thanks.

The worst part of this lousy situation is that we've done this to ourselves, we've chosen to act like this, we have put ourselves into this mess. No one forced us.

I think this is going to keep getting worse long before it gets any better, if ever. On one hand, I think our system has enough checks & balances to avoid a dictatorship, regardless of some of the silly hyperbole we're hearing. On the other hand, we've become so shallow and tribal that there's a long way still to fall.

Great insight.

From the ground up at least meaning from us the citizens' view, polarizing issues come in so many forms. For me politics is all about protecting my family and improvements to the VA system. For someone else maybe it's an increase in neighborhood crime or rising healthcare costs. I think that's where pundits get us to divide but it's also very true we choose when and what to watch.

Isn't it awesome that no has one has forced us politically really--yet--in a dictatorship sense. Also agree it is likely to get worse but strangely we've barely pulled back from the brink of that abyss more times than anyone can could really name. Yeah the general culture really has shallowed and tribal is just the word to use for all the groups and subgroups we see emerging. But I think diversity has been a good thing in the past. Seems to me it can be somewhat all about how social and cultural groups present themselves and interact and also how the media sells them to each other.

Definitely lets hope that long fall never comes. It's very interesting to watch the political machine cycle under such a heavy load.
It's a hopeful thought that this is cyclical. I hope you're right.

From my perspective (whatever the hell that is), it's like watching people wearing red mud wrestling with people wearing blue. The mud makes them all look the same.

Anyway, I hope you're right.

This is just an exercise to provoke thought and hopefully untie some members here behind the idea that dictatorships are a really bad idea, what we can do to prevent that and what can be done to lower the tone of division between our political parties and citizens so we can get stuff done.

The worst part of this lousy situation is that we've done this to ourselves, we've chosen to act like this, we have put ourselves into this mess. No one forced us.

I think this is going to keep getting worse long before it gets any better, if ever. On one hand, I think our system has enough checks & balances to avoid a dictatorship, regardless of some of the silly hyperbole we're hearing. On the other hand, we've become so shallow and tribal that there's a long way still to fall.

Tribal implies Native Americans and they did not do it. America treads water and takes a big gulp once in a while but keeps afloat.
There was no implication of Native Americans in my post.

America's Red vs. Blue debate. Ya just can't tell the difference.
m04_19643923.jpg

I calculated 80% of all US-Americans did not vote for president Trump.

I would suggest: "Every human being one vote". I would say: Parents should vote for their children and all children should get more and more possibilities to vote with their growing age on their own.

And in other democracies in the world Trump had not won, because he had not more than 50% of the votes. He had to make a coalition first with one of the more little political parties first. Mrs. Clinton had more votes and I guess she had also a better chance to make a coalition with one of the more little parties of the USA.

Thought provoking for sure. But how do we account for manipulation at polling places and possible electronic warfare interference by foreign powers?

I am a foreign power which interferes in the moment with your political system. Here in Germany it's impossible to manipulate our elections - we use still normal paper and not electronical paper - but it's not possible here to eliminate the influence of foreign political powers. I'm damned disappointed for example that the Turks here in Germany voted for the dictatorship of Erdogan, which he sells as a so called "presidential system". Somehow the word "president" becomes indeed more and more worldwide a synonyme for dictatorship.

You are being fooled big time by the regime. You don´t need election fraud when the parties do all represent the system, when the red-green make tax reforms for the monopoles and the black-yellow perform an early nuke exit. Manipulation takes place through the media, though. When 40 % of the journalists support the Greens, you don´t need to wonder, when you get islamists, pedophiles, gays, nazis, madmen everywhere. It is medial green inbreeding, and the other 60 % do support other parties but are mostly of the same kind of societal perversion.
Do nut understand me wrong. It won´t get better with the religious, conservative nuts. It is the same forced alienation of the people from their nature.
This is why it is time for a true national dictatorship that has the power to act while it doesn´t interfere in the peoples´ private affairs.

This is incredibly fascinating. I know essentially nothing about German politics so your post is an interesting window to look through. So you do think a dictatorship could possibly clean up the system and achieve more for the people than reliance on multiple steeply divided political parties? I recall reading one of your posts in another thread where you wrote about being unable to own firearms capable of self-defense. That horrifies me because I believe it is an intrinsic, ancient right of the father figure or whomever is tasked with defending the family. Thanks though for the informative post.

Forgot to mention: how do you think your country would keep a dictator in check while not removing some or all rights of the people?

Please offer up your thoughts on the matter.

Humans are pack animals that love to be led, which is why dictatorships have existed in abundance on this rock.

America, viewed objectively, is a monarchy cloaked in the guise of a constitutional republic, we just don't trot them out for show/ tell like the Britts....

Said monarchy are the .01% , they own the media , grease congress to their biddings, validate and profit from our conflicts , dis science when it serves them to do so , wind up national gestalt and propagate discontent among us 'wee folk'

Public figures like Trump or Obama are no more than their mouthpieces , incumbents of any tenure their b*tch ,partisans their diversion, voters fodder.

~S~

Tribal implies Native Americans and they did not do it. America treads water and takes a big gulp once in a while but keeps afloat.
There was no implication of Native Americans in my post.

I never said there was and merely injected the term to get a bite.
I never said you are Lapo Lapo either which means big fish.

Humans are pack animals that love to be led, which is why dictatorships have existed in abundance on this rock.

America, viewed objectively, is a monarchy cloaked in the guise of a constitutional republic, we just don't trot them out for show/ tell like the Britts....

Said monarchy are the .01% , they own the media , grease congress to their biddings, validate and profit from our conflicts , dis science when it serves them to do so , wind up national gestalt and propagate discontent among us 'wee folk'

Public figures like Trump or Obama are no more than their mouthpieces , incumbents of any tenure their b*tch ,partisans their diversion, voters fodder.

~S~

^^ And that's about as honest as it gets. Why not just yank down the curtain and stop pretending?

~S~

^^ And that's about as honest as it gets. Why not just yank down the curtain and stop pretending?
The veil is off some of our eyes. Thinking seems to be too difficult for a great number of Americans. The desire to believe all's well is understandable, and it is very strong. Being open-eyed, open minded, rational and searching appears to take too much effort for the majority.
There is certainly an élite than runs things and it has made sure it remains untouchable.

I would suggest: "Every human being one vote". I would say: Parents should vote for their children and all children should get more and more possibilities to vote with their growing age on their own.

And in other democracies in the world Trump had not won, because he had not more than 50% of the votes. He had to make a coalition first with one of the more little political parties first. Mrs. Clinton had more votes and I guess she had also a better chance to make a coalition with one of the more little parties of the USA.

Thought provoking for sure. But how do we account for manipulation at polling places and possible electronic warfare interference by foreign powers?

I am a foreign power which interferes in the moment with your political system. Here in Germany it's impossible to manipulate our elections - we use still normal paper and not electronical paper - but it's not possible here to eliminate the influence of foreign political powers. I'm damned disappointed for example that the Turks here in Germany voted for the dictatorship of Erdogan, which he sells as a so called "presidential system". Somehow the word "president" becomes indeed more and more worldwide a synonyme for dictatorship.

You are being fooled big time by the regime. You don´t need election fraud when the parties do all represent the system, when the red-green make tax reforms for the monopoles and the black-yellow perform an early nuke exit. Manipulation takes place through the media, though. When 40 % of the journalists support the Greens, you don´t need to wonder, when you get islamists, pedophiles, gays, nazis, madmen everywhere. It is medial green inbreeding, and the other 60 % do support other parties but are mostly of the same kind of societal perversion.
Do nut understand me wrong. It won´t get better with the religious, conservative nuts. It is the same forced alienation of the people from their nature.
This is why it is time for a true national dictatorship that has the power to act while it doesn´t interfere in the peoples´ private affairs.

This is incredibly fascinating. I know essentially nothing about German politics so your post is an interesting window to look through. So you do think a dictatorship could possibly clean up the system and achieve more for the people than reliance on multiple steeply divided political parties? I recall reading one of your posts in another thread where you wrote about being unable to own firearms capable of self-defense. That horrifies me because I believe it is an intrinsic, ancient right of the father figure or whomever is tasked with defending the family. Thanks though for the informative post.

Forgot to mention: how do you think your country would keep a dictator in check while not removing some or all rights of the people?

The problems with the parties is that they stand for themselves only. For example when that girl was raped and slaughtered weeks ago, the parliament was busy increasing party funding:
14 years old raped and murdered by Turk and Iraqi, offensive against AfD begins

The "dictator" is not busy fooling the people, he has no need to make impossible promises and doesn´t waste billions of tax money for a bogus electoral process. No expensive projects will be canceled just because opposition makes the people believe the government must go. The "dictator" can be ousted in regular polls when he cannot explain his measures to the people.
The current virtual dictator owns all parties and this makes it impossible to keep him in check. When you think you vote against him you vote for him in reality.
The "dictator" can issue orders without a bogus "opposition" condemning everything just because they are not in the government. The imperial system has proven to be highly effective without stripping the parliament off its powers. There were clear fields of competences. It led to the development of the welfare state, massive population increase, wealth increase and economic power increase.

List of regions by past GDP (PPP) - Wikipedia

Last edited:
And in other democracies in the world Trump had not won, because he had not more than 50% of the votes.
Neither did Bill Clinton.

I know but I think she was able to make a coalition with one of the more little parties of the USA, while Donald Trump would not had been able to do so. For Germany I see a clear situation: President Trump is an enemy of the Western World.

~S~

The veil is off some of our eyes. Thinking seems to be too difficult for a great number of Americans. The desire to believe all's well is understandable, and it is very strong. Being open-eyed, open minded, rational and searching appears to take too much effort for the majority.
There is certainly an élite than runs things and it has made sure it remains untouchable.

Great insights as well.

Don't get me wrong I love America and hopefully recognize how lucky I was to be born here. That said seems we can recognize the more downplayed and ignored but pretty obvious truths Sparky laid out while remaining patriotic and functioning well within the system. Does it need to be changed to better serve the citizen? I think so but even in heightened awareness of what's not so good we don't need an overt dictator to get us to a more happy place. At least I hope not.

The problems with the parties is that they stand for themselves only. For example when that girl was raped and slaughtered weeks ago, the parliament was busy increasing party funding:

The "dictator" is not busy fooling the people, he has no need to make impossible promises and doesn´t waste billions of tax money for a bogus electoral process. No expensive projects will be canceled just because opposition makes the people believe the government must go. The "dictator" can be ousted in regular polls when he cannot explain his measures to the people.
The current virtual dictator owns all parties and this makes it impossible to keep him in check. When you think you vote against him you vote for him in reality.
The "dictator" can issue orders without a bogus "opposition" condemning everything just because they are not in the government. The imperial system has proven to be highly effective without stripping the parliament off its powers. There were clear fields of competences. It led to the development of the welfare state, massive population increase, wealth increase and economic power increase.

Wow. I'd say you nailed something I've been contemplating recently about how the message almost always gets blocked by the messenger's personality, greed, career, etc. In Germany's case your saying the political parties are too busy taking care of special interest to fulfill real legislation the people need to prevent such tragedies. That was a really horrible crime to read about by the way but could be an important warning for my country.

Don't know if it's a good thing or not but you've made one seriously convincing case for a dictatorship and some good ways to keep him in check. We have a very similar situation in America with lobbyists who petition our Congress members around the clock with favors, gifts and cold hard cash. Much like Germany I think many real, vital and pressing issues people need addressed immediately get lost in the shuffle and voting for one side can be no different than voting for the other.

You are being fooled big time by the regime.

Which regime?

You don´t need election fraud when the parties do all represent the system, when the red-green make tax reforms for the monopoles and the black-yellow perform an early nuke exit.

Which nuke exit? What for heavens sake do you speak about?

Manipulation takes place through the media, though.

Media are a basic power moment of democracy - a kind of multiplier of the ideas of single persons.

When 40 % of the journalists support the Greens, you don´t need to wonder, when you get islamists, pedophiles, gays, nazis, madmen everywhere.

Are you sure you know something about Germany? Your ideas about Germany are a little crazy. Lots of Turks live in our country since very long decades and the green political party is an expression of opinions of Germans.

It is medial green inbreeding, and the other 60 % do support other parties but are mostly of the same kind of societal perversion.

Which perversion? We are a little slow sometimes - that's why we drive Porsche.

Do not understand me wrong.

I do not understand at all what you say about Germany.

It won´t get better with the religious, conservative nuts.

In your words: I am somehow such a nut.

It is the same forced alienation of the people from their nature.

Forced alienation? Nature?

Sorry to have to inform you: Hitler is dead. And dictators have some lousy characteristics - for example the characteristics to determine everything in the life of everyone. When a dictator likes to have pink French fries - ah sorry: "pink American freedom fries" - then you need a lot of pink color for your French fries - ah sorry: for your "pink American freedom fries".

Last edited:

Wow. I'd say you nailed something I've been contemplating recently about how the message almost always gets blocked by the messenger's personality, greed, career, etc. In Germany's case your saying the political parties are too busy taking care of special interest to fulfill real legislation the people need to prevent such tragedies. That was a really horrible crime to read about by the way but could be an important warning for my country.

Don't know if it's a good thing or not but you've made one seriously convincing case for a dictatorship and some good ways to keep him in check. We have a very similar situation in America with lobbyists who petition our Congress members around the clock with favors, gifts and cold hard cash. Much like Germany I think many real, vital and pressing issues people need addressed immediately get lost in the shuffle and voting for one side can be no different than voting for the other.

And then the parties become the lobbies. They refuse to remove tax gaps and even invite companies to write law drafts. And they introduce "globalization" as a way to put pressure on themselves to get rid of the responsibilities. They say we can´t tax them, they will relocate. They say national solutions don´t work.
So many politicians are suddenly managers and whatnot. The "dictator" can intervene and nullify questionable decisions of the parliament or elevate the issue to a plebiscite. Our president can refuse to enact a law, but there is no way to keep him in check. We do not even have the right to elect him. A parliament with limited permissions is less susceptible to fraud and corruption and the diversity and elections keep it in check while the election results also serve as measurement for the "dictator".

Which regime?
A regime is a government that doesn´t play by its own rules. And sometimes, our government doesn´t.

The "vorgezogene Atomaustieg".

Media are a basic power moment of democracy - a kind of multiplier of the ideas of single persons.
Ludicrous, when they all promote the same values.

Are you sure you know something about Germany? Your ideas about Germany are a little crazy. Lots of Turks live in our country since very long decades and the green political party is an expression of opinions of Germans.
All decades are equally long. And the green party, like the others, is neither green nor a party. It is a racist club of fanatic Germany haters.

Abnormalities are promoted. And Porsches are ugly.

Yes, read above. We neither need bands of homos nor "clean-living" "clears".

Sorry to have to inform you: Hitler is dead. And dictators have some lousy characteristics - for example the characteristics to determine everything in the life of everyone. When a dictator likes to have pink French fries - ah sorry: "pink American freedom fries" - then you need a lot of pink color for your French fries - ah sorry: for your "pink American freedom fries".
We don´t need such a dictator.

And then the parties become the lobbies. They refuse to remove tax gaps and even invite companies to write law drafts. And they introduce "globalization" as a way to put pressure on themselves to get rid of the responsibilities. They say we can´t tax them, they will relocate. They say national solutions don´t work.
So many politicians are suddenly managers and whatnot. The "dictator" can intervene and nullify questionable decisions of the parliament or elevate the issue to a plebiscite. Our president can refuse to enact a law, but there is no way to keep him in check. We do not even have the right to elect him. A parliament with limited permissions is less susceptible to fraud and corruption and the diversity and elections keep it in check while the election results also serve as measurement for the "dictator".

Yes I see your point. Again we see illustrated the disconnect between the citizen and the president and how parliament is not a very sturdy bridge between them. That actually helps me to take a fresh look at how our congress is also in ways a blockade more than a bridge to our executive branch. We vote him in every four years but between elections congress is really our only means of limiting his power along with the supreme court in some ways.

The supreme court in the US is supposed to function much like the dictator you theorize in that it is supposed be an impartial final word on many of our most electric issues. But of course its justices are appointed largely for their personal politics. It can be a vicious self serving cycle of extremely powerful men who really no longer relate to the average person.

Yes I see your point. Again we see illustrated the disconnect between the citizen and the president and how parliament is not a very sturdy bridge between them. That actually helps me to take a fresh look at how our congress is also in ways a blockade more than a bridge to our executive branch. We vote him in every four years but between elections congress is really our only means of limiting his power along with the supreme court in some ways.

The supreme court in the US is supposed to function much like the dictator you theorize in that it is supposed be an impartial final word on many of our most electric issues. But of course its justices are appointed largely for their personal politics. It can be a vicious self serving cycle of extremely powerful men who really no longer relate to the average person.
Indeed, and this is why a real parliament is required. You have only two parties, they cannot control each other because they suffer from party bias. Like I said before they are against the other because of competition and not because of right or wrong. And your President has too little contact with the Congress.

What. The. Fuck?

Which regime?
A regime is a government that doesn´t play by its own rules. And sometimes, our government doesn´t.

A government never plays by the own rules. To govern is a job.

The "vorgezogene Atomaustieg".

What has this to do with nukes? We close our nuclear power plants step by step. And because of the catastrophe in Fukushima we made some steps a little earlier ("vorgezogen"). Germany transforms the whole system of energy management and production into a system which is sustainable and more in harmony with the natural processes of planet Earth. Althought the Green Party is now not in the government this way will be continued.

Ludicrous, when they all promote the same values.

Values are in lots of cases worldwide and for centuries and millenniums the same values.

All decades are equally long. And the green party, like the others, is neither green nor a party. It is a racist club of fanatic Germany haters.

no comment

Abnormalities are promoted. And Porsches are ugly.

No comment

Yes, read above. We neither need bands of homos nor "clean-living" "clears".

?

We don´t need such a dictator.

You have a Trump - what's much pinker than pinkest, I guess. So what kind of dictator is your favorite dictator? You?

Last edited:
...Can the radical ideological division between political parties and thus the American people be traced to the root of our two party system?

I think it can be traced to the root of our founding. Samuel Adams stood on the steps of State House in Philadelphia nearly 240 years ago and spoke these harsh words, 'If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, - go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!' - iBoston.org
I hear that as - better to risk all for (individual) freedom than to be well fed in captivity (government largesse).

For the most part, Americans base ideology is shared, imho - a goal of 'Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness', The debate/conflict is centered around the role of a centralized government in achieving that goal - should the federal government protect or provide.

We bemoan the loss of civil discourse, but at a time when discourse was civil (if it ever really existed) there was marked inequity between classes of people. Our language was more genteel, but was life? I have several old newspapers, from the 40's - the letters to the editor are revealing - with a change of names they could have been written today. FDR was either loved or hated, praised or vilified, pretty much along party lines.

I think we naturally gravitate to like-minds, or causes - sometimes blindly without rational thought, sometimes with a burning sense of injustice that too often results in justice for some but injustice for others - it's a curse of the ages. I don't think it would matter if there were ten parties, other than the vitriol might be diluted somewhat.

Would the elimination of the bi-partisan Congress alleviate the inability of our government to swiftly legislate the most important issues of our time?

Yes...but at what cost?

Swift legislation at the federal level was never the design of the framers of the Constitution. They realized that the broader the scope of power, the less our liberty is subjected to the whims of a few. Some of our civil disagreement is over how much government is too much. Our problem is not under-legislation at the federal level, it's over legislation...and arbitrary enforcement.

We can tweak, but in my opinion eliminating the legislative branch would be a fatal error - the best of intentions would devolve into an oligarchy - if we're lucky. Do we sacrifice the imperfect practical for the illusion of the 'ideal'?

When it comes to the affairs of mankind, there's nothing new under the sun - the years change, our nature does not.

Excerpt from Kipling's 'The Gods of the Copybook Headings'

"As it will be in the future, it was at the birth of Man
There are only four things certain since Social Progress began.
That the Dog returns to his Vomit and the Sow returns to her Mire,
And the burnt Fool's bandaged finger goes wabbling back to the Fire;

And that after this is accomplished, and the brave new world begins
When all men are paid for existing and no man must pay for his sins,
As surely as Water will wet us, as surely as Fire will burn,
The Gods of the Copybook Headings with terror and slaughter return!"

Forum List

Back