MERKEL CAVES IN: Germany 'to offer to scrap EU tax on cars' in Trump victory

dcbl

Good guys wear white hats
Aug 23, 2011
Bham, AL
hmm, looks like German Hillary is scrambling to save her ass

we have the best trade wars, Mr President the best!

Womp Womp

ANGELA Merkel appears to have caved in to Donald Trump with Germany considering scrapping the European Union’s 10 percent tax on American car imports.

Not quite

Currently, the EU has a 10% tariff on all light vehicles. America has a 2.5% tariff on all cars and a 25% tariff on all light trucks, i.e. pick-ups, SUVs, etc. That's because light trucks are Detroit's most profitable product, and the American consumer - i.e. you - payer higher taxes to protect Detroit's most lucrative market.

Because light trucks are about 60% of the US light vehicle market, the average US tariff on light vehicles is higher than it is in Europe at ~12.5%. IOW the idea that we are getting hosed is simply nonsense. American tariffs, i.e. trade taxes, are higher on cars and trucks than they are in Europe.

Negotiations will center around reducing all tariffs on light vehicles, not just cars.

If you don't believe that trade is a zero-sum game - which educated people know it is not - then reducing tariffs on all vehicles is a good thing because it lowers taxes consumers pay and gives people more choice.

Last edited:
It just came across the wire that Harley-Davidson is planning to shift some production overseas in response to Trump's Trade War.
This is one helluva balancing act he's trying. On one hand, it may well be true that America still has enough economic influence in the world to pull this off. On the other hand, markets aren't going to wait forever.

What concerns me the most is the group of people Trump has around him. Economists are great and very helpful, but once they go partisan, they're dangerous.

I'll just keep hoping for the best.

It just came across the wire that Harley-Davidson is planning to shift some production overseas in response to Trump's Trade War.
This is one helluva balancing act he's trying. On one hand, it may well be true that America still has enough economic influence in the world to pull this off. On the other hand, markets aren't going to wait forever.

What concerns me the most is the group of people Trump has around him. Economists are great and very helpful, but once they go partisan, they're dangerous.

I'll just keep hoping for the best.
yea - all this TRUMP WINS TRUMP WINNING stuff around trade wars - those numbers can be spun around like a bingo cage at an old folks home. i don't want to cheat any other country or feel like we got one up on them. to me, not the point. but if we can balance out natural issues then let's go.

merkel however could be on her way out if she continues with the open immigration platform also. "the people" just don't want it. globalization never had a chance really. look in here, we can't even get along and agree on what to do or hell, right and wrong anymore. how could we have ever worked together on real issues that would face us globally when we're so petty to our own "side"?

IDK if its the same deal or not, but they were talking about doing this a year or two ago.

Not quite

Currently, the EU has a 10% tariff on all light vehicles. America has a 2.5% tariff on all cars and a 25% tariff on all light trucks, i.e. pick-ups, SUVs, etc. That's because light trucks are Detroit's most profitable product, and the American consumer - i.e. you - payer higher taxes to protect Detroit's most lucrative market.

Because light trucks are about 60% of the US light vehicle market, the average US tariff on light vehicles is higher than it is in Europe at ~12.5%. IOW the idea that we are getting hosed is simply nonsense. American tariffs, i.e. trade taxes, are higher on cars and trucks than they are in Europe.

Negotiations will center around reducing all tariffs on light vehicles, not just cars.

If you don't believe that trade is a zero-sum game - which educated people know it is not - then reducing tariffs on all vehicles is a good thing because it lowers taxes consumers pay and gives people more choice.
We are pushing for no tariffs, and it looks like Germany is ready to play ball

Merkel is feeling immense pressure based on her immigration policy already, she can't afford to turn off the spigot of their biggest cash cow

the bigger picture on the home front? Trump gets a win

Not quite

Merkel is feeling immense pressure based on her immigration policy already, she can't afford to turn off the spigot of their biggest cash cow

Nobody is pushing for no tariffs, that is a misunderstanding of what is happening.

The US has a list almost 3000 pages long of tariffs we place on goods, do you really think that is going away?

Then even if tariffs are gone there is the issue of subsidized industries that has to be dealt with.

What are the chances we stop the 20 billion a year in Ag subsidies?

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Oh I think this tariff war will hurt us in the short run but be well worth it in the long haul.

IDK if its the same deal or not, but they were talking about doing this a year or two ago.

They did move some production offshore a few years ago.

This morning, Harley is specifically citing the tariffs as a reason why they are considering shifting more, this time to Europe.

Understand that the response to Trump’s trade wars and trade taxes are specifically targeted towards his base.

For example, agricultural commodity prices are down about 15% to 2-year lows in a month since China announced retaliatory tariffs in response to Trump’s actions. China is the largest buyer of US soybeans. Something like 40% of all US soybean exports go to China. 95% of the counties in this country that produce soybeans voted for Trump.

Womp Womp

ANGELA Merkel appears to have caved in to Donald Trump with Germany considering scrapping the European Union’s 10 percent tax on American car imports.
lol.

awesome critical thinking and reading comprehension.

and late, as well.

No. Harley Davidson announced a move for some production overseas last year.

Not quite

yep.

".....One catch is that the Europeans also want a 25% U.S. tax on imports of light trucks—pickup trucks, sport-utility vehicles, and big vans—scrapped. Abolishing this relic of the Johnson administration could alienate U.S. auto workers, a core constituency for Mr. Trump in the midterms this fall...."

LOL.

and this:

"German car makers’ efforts face significant hurdles. Berlin has no power to hammer out trade deals—a prerogative of the European Commission, the EU’s executive body in Brussels—and would have to persuade fellow EU member states, starting with France, to back a radical free-trade approach many have shown little interest in."

LOLOL.

"Government officials in Berlin are cautious about the car makers’ initiative. While they endorse the idea, they say the government already approached the Trump administration with similar proposals weeks ago without eliciting much interest. They also say no talks are currently taking place on trade between Europe and the U.S. as the EU finalizes its response to Mr. Trump’s steel and aluminum tariffs."

LOLOLOL

Not quite

Nobody is pushing for no tariffs, that is a misunderstanding of what is happening.

The US has a list almost 3000 pages long of tariffs we place on goods, do you really think that is going away?

Then even if tariffs are gone there is the issue of subsidized industries that has to be dealt with.

What are the chances we stop the 20 billion a year in Ag subsidies?

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com
Sad and agree.

No. Harley Davidson announced a move for some production overseas last year.

And then today, they specifically said they would shift additional production to Europe in response to the EU’s retaliatory action to Trump’s steel and aluminum tariffs, ie trade taxes.

Womp Womp

Trump cultists love to declare victory before anything actually halpens. Merkel is “considering,” yet the only thing that matters is what the EU does, not what one member state “considers.”

Forum List

Back