Harvard Professor Jailed; Officer Is Accused of Bias

The wonder here is that the first article I read said it was a "neighbor" that reported the break in. Why doesn't the professor get out and meet his neighbors so that this doesn't happen? Or perhaps, he just doesn't associate with whites?
Do we know that his neighbors are all white?

In any case, maybe he does say hello to his neighbors. Is it his fault "all blacks look alike"?

Last edited:
Here's Gate's version of events.

I suspect we will never know what really happened and that is a shame.

Gates Says He Is Outraged by Arrest at Cambridge Home - washingtonpost.com
If a person dressed like a cop rang my bell late at night, said he was investigating a reported break-in but did not specify that it was my house that was reported as the one broken into nor that I resembled the person reported as having brocken in, and then this person asked me for ID, I would not let him into my house and I might even ask for ID before offering my own.

This sounds like a comedy, or tragedy, of errors. I think Gates had reason to be offended but I don't see where he has reason to claim the arrest was racially motivated. He's the one who brought up race. He made an assumption.
Yeah, the fact that he jumped to that conclusion counts against him while at the same time it is a reasonable conclusion to jump to...I agree, I'd be very apt to call 9/11 if cops came to my door under the circumstances. But that's prolly because as a woman I've learned to be suspicious of men claiming to be cops.

If a person dressed like a cop rang my bell late at night, said he was investigating a reported break-in but did not specify that it was my house that was reported as the one broken into nor that I resembled the person reported as having brocken in, and then this person asked me for ID, I would not let him into my house and I might even ask for ID before offering my own.

This sounds like a comedy, or tragedy, of errors. I think Gates had reason to be offended but I don't see where he has reason to claim the arrest was racially motivated. He's the one who brought up race. He made an assumption.
Yeah, the fact that he jumped to that conclusion counts against him while at the same time it is a reasonable conclusion to jump to...I agree, I'd be very apt to call 9/11 if cops came to my door under the circumstances. But that's prolly because as a woman I've learned to be suspicious of men claiming to be cops.

good thinking and a real cop wouldn't have a problem with it, either.

This sounds like a comedy, or tragedy or errors. I think Gates had reason to be offended but I don't see where he has reason to claim the arrest was racially motivated. He's the one who brought up race. He made an assumption.

it happened in the middle of the day, and what house do you think the cops would be checking for a reported break in? the one down the street?

I've had cops ring my door to ask if I noticed anything when things have happened in my street but none of them demanded i show ID. If Gates knew there was no break-in at his house, why would he think the cop was mistakenly investigating a break-in at his house. Is he supposed to be clairvoyant?

This sounds like a comedy, or tragedy or errors. I think Gates had reason to be offended but I don't see where he has reason to claim the arrest was racially motivated. He's the one who brought up race. He made an assumption.

it happened in the middle of the day, and what house do you think the cops would be checking for a reported break in? the one down the street?

I've had cops ring my door to ask if I noticed anything when things have happened in my street but none of them demanded i show ID. If Gates knew there was no break-in at his house, why would he think the cop was mistakenly investigating a break-in at his house. Is he supposed to be clairvoyant?

no. is the cop?

Not to go off on a tangent but...

I really really really fuckin hate it when I see unmarked cop cars making traffic stops. They shouldn't be allowed to do that IMO. It doesn't take much effort on the part of a would be bad guy to simply install a siren and a couple of flashing blue lights in his grill.

good thinking and a real cop wouldn't have a problem with it, either.
Hopefully. I've known some arrogant cops in my time though. It's very hard for me to condemn an innocent person that questions their motives.

For the record I think most cops are good cops. The few bad ones keep me on my guard.

:rofl:

Now you're just being intentionally dense. :lol:

Gates had just busted down his own door in broad daylight. No clairvoyance required to surmise how that might look to people who don't know you.

I really really really fuckin hate it when I see unmarked cop cars making traffic stops. They shouldn't be allowed to do that IMO. It doesn't take much effort on the part of a would be bad guy to simply install a siren and a couple of flashing blue lights in his grill.
It happens. We've had cases of rapists doing just that.

I don't think it's entirely unreasonable for him to think race could be involved but I would think a smart guy like him would wait for solid evidence before making accusations. Perhaps he was trying to provoke the cop as minifool keeps barking about. I won't deny that's a possibility. I also know firsthand that cops can be racist.
So, like you say, we'll never know exactly what happened and perhaps the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Mostly I think it was a misunderstanding that got out of hand and that someone went too far.

no. is the cop?
Did the cop think intruders normally open front doors and invite cops into the kitchen?

It happens. We've had cases of rapists doing just that.
It's why no woman traveling alone should get out of her car when pulled over by a cop until she is certain he's legit. And even then she should be wary ...

no. is the cop?
Did the cop think intruders normally open front doors and invite cops into the kitchen?
Only the smart ones. :lol:

And millions of blacks are jumping on it as we speak, Gates himself has decided to turn this into a reason to spread hatred:

"I am appalled that any American could be treated as capriciously by an individual police officer. He should look into his soul and he should apologize to me," Gates said. "If so, I will be prepared to forgive him. I think that poor people in general and black people in general are vulnerable to the whims of rogue cops, and we all have to fight to protect the weakest among us. No matter how bad it was going to get, I knew that sooner or later I would get to a phone and one of my friends would be there to help."

His next project on race, he said, will be rooted in his arrest. "I hope to make a documentary about racial profiling for PBS," he said. "[The idea] had never crossed my mind but it has now."

He said the documentary will ask: "How are people treated when they are arrested? How does the criminal justice system work? How many black and brown men and poor white men are the victims of police officers who are carrying racist thoughts?

"I want to be a figure for prison reform. I think that criminal justice system is rotten."

I'm so sick of the race card. We have a black man as the president of the USA. Does this mean racism is dead? No, but it sure as heck means it's crippled and not nearly as strong as so many are claiming.

Gates had just busted down his own door in broad daylight. No clairvoyance required to surmise how that might look to people who don't know you.
Busted? I thought the door was jammed? It's not clear what the cop actually saw when he came to the house. In any case the cop seems not to have given adequate information as to why he was there and why he was demanding ID from a homeowner in his own home.
The cop messed up. Gates messed up.

The fact that the officer's first words to Gates were to ask him to step outside, indicates he intended to arrest him.

no. is the cop?

i don't know.

i'm not clairvoyant.

The fact that the officer's first words to Gates were to ask him to step outside, indicates he intended to arrest him.

so now you're clairvoyant?

And millions of blacks are jumping on it as we speak, Gates himself has decided to turn this into a reason to spread hatred:

"I am appalled that any American could be treated as capriciously by an individual police officer. He should look into his soul and he should apologize to me," Gates said. "If so, I will be prepared to forgive him. I think that poor people in general and black people in general are vulnerable to the whims of rogue cops, and we all have to fight to protect the weakest among us. No matter how bad it was going to get, I knew that sooner or later I would get to a phone and one of my friends would be there to help."

His next project on race, he said, will be rooted in his arrest. "I hope to make a documentary about racial profiling for PBS," he said. "[The idea] had never crossed my mind but it has now."

He said the documentary will ask: "How are people treated when they are arrested? How does the criminal justice system work? How many black and brown men and poor white men are the victims of police officers who are carrying racist thoughts?

"I want to be a figure for prison reform. I think that criminal justice system is rotten."

I'm so sick of the race card. We have a black man as the president of the USA. Does this mean racism is dead? No, but it sure as heck means it's crippled and not nearly as strong as so many are claiming.
Well...he did include poor white men, Shelia. That should count for something. It's not exactly a secret that the cops treat suspects badly...but it may be unknown that the courts treat innocent POOR people worse. If you can't afford a decent lawyer or aren't assigned a decent one pro bono you can pretty much kiss your freedom goodbye.

so now you're clairvoyant?
Clairvoyant would be a good name for a sock puppet. :eusa_angel:

• Thanks
Reactions: del

Forum List

Back