Harvard Professor Jailed; Officer Is Accused of Bias

The more I read about this incident the more I think Gates was trying to get arrested. Nothing like a little street cred to boost enrollment in his African-American history course(s). What a douche.
This is then guy who sympathies with guys who beat up transvestites who give them blow jobs but who has no concept of what it means to come home, find your house broken into, and the police off on the wrong track?

More incoherent, angry jibberish from an emotional anguille. Ho hum.
:lol: Methinks mani is peeved.

Angry-eel said:
It really FUCKING pisses me off that manifold is so much smarter than me and I don't care if it's nature or nurture, I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE! :mad:

Settle down Beavis, settle down.

I agree but from the story it doesn't sound like the guy knew anyone called the cops on him.

From the article in the OP:

But in the report, Sergeant Crowley said that as he told Professor Gates he was investigating a possible break-in, Professor Gates exclaimed, “Why, because I’m a black man in America?” and accused the sergeant of racism.
Oh, missed that. Still, I can understand where he'd be pissed off. I never willingly open my door to the police.

He had a right to refuse entry, sure...But the man could have simply been polite and answer the officer's questions at the door, show his ID, have a good laugh, and be done with it.

Instead, he got overly defensive and made false accusations against an officer who was simply doing his job, which is why he ended up in handcuffs for disorderly conduct.

Last edited:
From the article in the OP:
Oh, missed that. Still, I can understand where he'd be pissed off. I never willingly open my door to the police.

He had a right to refuse entry, sure...But the man could have simply been polite and answer the officer's questions at the door, show his ID, have a good laugh, and be done with it.

Instead, he got overly defensive and made false accusations against an officer who was simply doing his job, which is why he ended up in handcuffs for disorderly conduct.
Yes, I get it, Val. The po-lice are always right and must be obeyed. :lol:

Oh what, as opposed to people who behave as if they're above the law are always right? :cuckoo:

Oh what, as opposed to people who behave as if they're above the law are always right? :cuckoo:
In my fantasy world if you aren't doing anything wrong then the police shouldn't harass you.

In my fantasy world if you aren't doing anything wrong then the police shouldn't harass you.

:eusa_eh:

Personally, I don't think the police should be harassing anyone.

And based on what I've read on this story, the police officer certainly was not harassing Gates.

Okay, if it was me, I would have been a little pissed and upset, seeing as my house had just been broken into, I might even have gotten more upset if the cop refused to show ID.
BUT ... in the best interest of attending to the larger issue, that my house had been burglarized, I would have kept a lid on it and cooperated with the cop and brought up any charges of racism or incompetence or whatever, later on.

He had just got off a long flight from China, he blew his top. I'm glad the charges were dropped. If the eminent professor were to admit his behavior warranted the cop having to go through with what he warned him he would do, my respect for Gates would be restored.

Okay, if it was me, I would have been a little pissed and upset, seeing as my house had just been broken into, I might even have gotten more upset if the cop refused to show ID.
BUT ... in the best interest of attending to the larger issue, that my house had been burglarized, I would have kept a lid on it and cooperated with the cop and brought up any charges of racism or incompetence or whatever, later on.

He had just got off a long flight from China, he blew his top. I'm glad the charges were dropped. If the eminent professor were to admit his behavior warranted the cop having to go through with what he warned him he would do, my respect for Gates would be restored.

Where are you pulling this crap from that his house had just been burglarized? :eusa_eh:

The officer was answering the call of a possible break-in, not exactly "harassment". :doubt:

... had been inside for a few minutes when Sgt. James Crowley of the Cambridge Police Department appeared at his door and asked him to step outside.

Professor Gates, 58, refused to do so

According to the police report, Professor Gates initially refused to show identification.

Professor Gates followed him outside, the report said, and yelled at him despite the sergeant’s warning “that he was becoming disorderly.” Sergeant Crowley then arrested and handcuffed him.

Last edited:

Where are you pulling this crap from that his house had just been burglarized? :eusa_eh:
Just an assumption. His doors had been busted open. Don't know if he was but wouldn't that be your first thought if you came home and saw your doors busted open? I'm pretty sure that's what was on his mind. It's not clear if he actually was.

Forum List

Back