Harvard Professor Jailed; Officer Is Accused of Bias

Nesser, would you still be as quick to draw a conclusion were it YOUR house that cops refused to investigate after an accusation of racism? It's not like Gates was dragged out of his house and lynched. he is just as complicit as the cops MAY have been. I've seen dickhead cops too but that doesn't mean that you won't appreciate them doing their jobs when, statistically, it really IS a burglary than a misunderstanding. Would you be so inclined to hop on a side were it black cops arresting a white home owner? If not, then why.

o hold the fuck up..when is the last time a cop came to your house and ask you for id....well? i would not have been hostile as this but i would have refused to show my id in my own fucking home without a warrent...and i would have told the cop to get the fuck off my land...unless it was one of them i know...but i have a right to my damn privacy...if they got a warrent ....serve the fucker...if not..get the fuck out of my face and off my land.

And as the situation is presented your refusal would lead to your arrest. Why? because the cop had no way to know you lived there unless you showed him ID. A Neighbor called it in when she saw 2 men obviously breaking in through the door.

Personally I would be glad my neighbor gave a fuck and called it in. And I would be appreciative that the cops came out to investigate a possible break in at my home.

Better yet, have a neighbor like Joe Horn.

Joe Horn shooting controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Let's not forget he was just returning from a long-as-fuck trip from China and had a hard time opening his apartment door... and then a dick of a cop shows up and asks him to prove that he really lives there... Another issue was that according to the Professor, the cop refused to identify himself... I know how dickish cops can be, I myself had a bit of an argument with one about his attitude towards me...

So let's not all just take the cop's side... hm?

The cop refused to ID himself? I guess the name tag and badge didn't help.

Several years ago, a young lady was murdered at our local highschool. We had a car that was the type that was reported as leaving the scene. The cops showed up an our door. I showed them my driver's license, and anything else they asked for. I wanted that murderer caught probably more than they did.

Obviously you wanted the murderer caught. He was giving your car a bad name.

The wonder here is that the first article I read said it was a "neighbor" that reported the break in. Why doesn't the professor get out and meet his neighbors so that this doesn't happen? Or perhaps, he just doesn't associate with whites?

Haha, nice implication... his fault for not being neighborly, huh?

Love it.

The more I read about this incident the more I think Gates was trying to get arrested. Nothing like a little street cred to boost enrollment in his African-American history course(s). What a douche.

Awesome, you must be correct - who wouldn't want this to happen, especially some 'street cred' craving Harvard professor. They are always f*cking with cops.
Good thing the cop didn't just leave, otherwise nothing would have happened.

Nesser, would you still be as quick to draw a conclusion were it YOUR house that cops refused to investigate after an accusation of racism? It's not like Gates was dragged out of his house and lynched. he is just as complicit as the cops MAY have been. I've seen dickhead cops too but that doesn't mean that you won't appreciate them doing their jobs when, statistically, it really IS a burglary than a misunderstanding. Would you be so inclined to hop on a side were it black cops arresting a white home owner? If not, then why.

I'm just not liking how everyone in this thread is quickly and without a doubt jumping on the 'yet another bullshit racism accusation' bandwagon... that's all.

I'm just not liking how everyone in this thread is quickly and without a doubt jumping on the 'yet another bullshit racism accusation' bandwagon... that's all.

Why did you jump on the bandwagon?

It's funny, I read a lot of threads where the motives of black people are ascribed to their color. This is one of them.

Why did you jump on the bandwagon?

Huh?

The more I read about this incident the more I think Gates was trying to get arrested. Nothing like a little street cred to boost enrollment in his African-American history course(s). What a douche.

Awesome, you must be correct - who wouldn't want this to happen, especially some 'street cred' craving Harvard professor. They are always f*cking with cops.
Good thing the cop didn't just leave, otherwise nothing would have happened.

The officer was leaving. And yes, had Gates kept is trap shut at that point, nothing would have happened.

charges have been dropped. assholes come in all colors; gates happens to be a black one. gotta love the"do you know who i am?" aspect of this, though. what a maumauing fuckwit. :lol:

"A Cambridge police report described what followed as the police sergeant stood at Gates’s door, demanded identification, and radioed for assistance from Harvard University police when Gates presented him with a Harvard ID. Gates became visibly upset, according to the report, when the officer said he was responding to a report of a break-in. “Why," Gates asked, according to the report, "because I’m a black man in America?’’

“Gates then turned to me and told me that I had no idea who I was ‘messing’ with and that I had not heard the last of it,’’ the report said. “While I was led to believe that Gates was lawfully in the residence, I was quite surprised and confused with the behavior he exhibited toward me.’’

When the officer repeatedly told Gates he would speak with him outside, the normally mild-mannered professor shouted, “Ya, I’ll speak with your mama outside,’’ according to the report.
Gates was arrested after “exhibiting loud and tumultuous behavior’’ toward the officer who questioned him, the report said. He was led away in handcuffs. "

Charges to be dropped against Harvard professor - Local News Updates - The Boston Globe

charges have been dropped. assholes come in all colors; gates happens to be a black one. gotta love the"do you know who i am?" aspect of this, though. what a maumauing fuckwit. :lol:

"A Cambridge police report described what followed as the police sergeant stood at Gates’s door, demanded identification, and radioed for assistance from Harvard University police when Gates presented him with a Harvard ID. Gates became visibly upset, according to the report, when the officer said he was responding to a report of a break-in. “Why," Gates asked, according to the report, "because I’m a black man in America?’’

“Gates then turned to me and told me that I had no idea who I was ‘messing’ with and that I had not heard the last of it,’’ the report said. “While I was led to believe that Gates was lawfully in the residence, I was quite surprised and confused with the behavior he exhibited toward me.’’

When the officer repeatedly told Gates he would speak with him outside, the normally mild-mannered professor shouted, “Ya, I’ll speak with your mama outside,’’ according to the report.
Gates was arrested after “exhibiting loud and tumultuous behavior’’ toward the officer who questioned him, the report said. He was led away in handcuffs. "

Charges to be dropped against Harvard professor - Local News Updates - The Boston Globe
Unless he has a history of playing the race card I'd say that his anger at the police got the better of him. I'd probably have reacted in a similar manner.

Oh I hear ya.. But, it's kind of reflexive when Gates reflexivly assumed racism. Again, he is not doing himself any favors. I'd like to see how this cookie crumbles and I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt (he writes a good memoir, you should check it out) but... just as people are leaping to defend the cops so to have people lept to defend Gates when, to be honest, the cops were really only dong their job and would ahve asked ANYONE regardless of ethnicity for ID.

whats more, I'd bet anything that Gates lives in a gated comunity anyway. Which, is probably why there were cops there in the first place who were so quick to check. If this turns out to be the case then this will be a double layer of irony on all six sides of this box.

Unless he has a history of playing the race card I'd say that his anger at the police got the better of him. I'd probably have reacted in a similar manner.

really? i'd be pretty happy that the cops checked up to make sure everything was okay. from what i have read, the cop wasn't out of line, IMO. maybe gates was just cranky that day, but it seems to me the cop gave him more than one opportunity to calm down, and gates chose not to. fuck with the bull you get the horn

it'd be interesting to hear what the cabbie has to say about the whole thing. i doubt we will, though.

Yes and yes.

Several points here.

1) Your perception may be right on. Seems like it could have been handled by the professor in a more subtle manner. But it is very possible that getting arrested is almost as good as getting an article published.

2) If you read the article in the Boston Globe, I didn't notice the reporting that the police state that he wouldn't identify himself. But if you read the article in the Seattle Times, :
" According to the police report, Gates initially refused to show identification." Education | Was arrest of Harvard scholar Henry Louis Gates Jr. an act of racism? | Seattle Times Newspaper) (The NYTimes did include this as "He showed his driver’s license and Harvard identification card,")

3) Also, it is entirely possible that the professor was simply having an 'Al Sharpton' moment, as he does not have a history, no pun intended, of shouting 'racism.' In fact, this professor was one of those who insists that it is not the total province of blacks to teach and research black history.

4) In summary, the racism aspect appears to be more the direction sought by the paper than the professor.

I thought the exact same thing. Anyone remember the Columbia "noose" professor? Complete fabrication to deflect a plagiarism charge against her.

I just can't imagine the cop trumping up charges that he knew would be challenged. Def. more to this story...

really? i'd be pretty happy that the cops checked up to make sure everything was okay. from what i have read, the cop wasn't out of line, IMO. maybe gates was just cranky that day, but it seems to me the cop gave him more than one opportunity to calm down, and gates chose not to. fuck with the bull you get the horn

it'd be interesting to hear what the cabbie has to say about the whole thing. i doubt we will, though.
I don't think we will either. The story I read said the cops didn't show up until after the cabbie was gone and Gates was inside his home.

New Topics

Forum List

Back