Harley-Davidson to move some motorcycle production out of U.S. in big Trump-tariff fail

All Harley employees who voted for Trump in a fit of hatred against the U.S.
So then you shouldn't shed a tear when a BMW or Mercedes costs 20% more.

The EU are trade abusers. To them free trade means "free money for us"
Not trade abusers, Americans want to buy more stuff that other people make than what Americans make themselves. Now you want to block that, instead of trying to compete. Good luck, you fucking communist.
Yes if we made better cars imports would decrease... that is capitalism.
And if US car companies built cars that were in demand in the EU, maybe they could sell some.

Lol.
Ford doesn't even make cars anymore. No market in Europe for them.
That is so unfair. Somebody should do something about this.

Remember when Trump said he was going to help Harley Davidson in 2017?
Trump Welcomes Harley-Davidson in Latest White House Session

Well, that's backfired because of the trade war he's started.

"Harley-Davidson said on Monday that European Union tariffs on its motorcycles had increased to 31 percent, from 6 percent. It estimated that the higher tariffs would add about $2,200 on average to every motorcycle exported from the United States to the bloc, so it said it would move the production of bikes bound for Europe outside the United States."""""

Harley-Davidson to Move Some Production From U.S. Because of E.U. Tariffs
Ooops. But maybe in the long run, the big picture, it will be worth it? I hear Germany "caved" on its cars? I'm no economics expert, but this is Trump's strategy.
Germany did not and also cannot "cave" on cars. don't fall for alternative facts gobbled up by trumptards.

"Harley-Davidson said on Monday that European Union tariffs on its motorcycles had increased to 31 percent, from 6 percent. It estimated that the higher tariffs would add about $2,200 on average to every motorcycle exported from the United States to the bloc, so it said it would move the production of bikes bound for Europe outside the United States."""""

Ooops. But maybe in the long run, the big picture, it will be worth it? I hear Germany "caved" on its cars? I'm no economics expert, but this is Trump's strategy.
Germany did not and also cannot "cave" on cars. don't fall for alternative facts gobbled up by trumptards.
He read it in a conservative tabloid from the UK.

That sucks. Not sure if I want a Harley that is not built in America.
You do realize that according to the news article you posted.
The HD motorcycles to be built overseas are for the European market.

"The company is shifting some production of motorcycles for European customers out of the United States to avoid EU retaliatory tariffs."

So you have no need to worry about buying a HD not made in the U.S.

Although, it's hard for me to imagine a panty waist liberal like you riding a Harley? .... :lol: :lol:

Can't remember where I heard/read it. It was a 10 second blurb on the news this a.m. It wasn't Fox.

The Wall Street Journal isn't a Trumptard site. Not that you aren't right, too, that Germany can't unilaterally decide anything, I think.
Germany’s Largest Auto Makers Back Abolition of EU-U.S. Car Import Tariffs
The U.S. ambassador to Germany relayed the industry offer in meetings with Trump administration
By
William Boston and

Bojan Pancevski
Updated June 20, 2018 2:05 p.m. ET
424 COMMENTS

BERLIN—Germany’s leading auto makers have thrown their support behind the abolition of all import tariffs for cars between the European Union and the U.S. in an effort to find a peaceful solution to the brewing trade war.

The U.S. ambassador to Germany, Richard Grenell, brought the proposal for a broader industry trade pact to the Trump administration on Wednesday, according to people familiar with the situation.

That would mean scrapping the EU’s 10% tax on auto imports from the U.S. and other countries and the 2.5% duty on auto imports in the U.S. As a prerequisite, the Europeans want President Donald Trump’s threat of imposing a 25% border tax on European auto imports off the table.

Over the past few weeks, Mr. Grenell has held closed-door meetings with the chiefs of all major German automotive companies, including bilateral meetings with the CEOs of Daimler AG , BMW AG andVolkswagen AG , which operate plants in the U.S. Overall, Germany’s auto makers and suppliers provide 116,500 jobs in the U.S., according to the Association of German Automotive Manufacturers.

The Wall Street Journal isn't a Trumptard site. Not that you aren't right, too, that Germany can't unilaterally decide anything, I think.
The U.S. ambassador to Germany relayed the industry offer in meetings with Trump administration
By
William Boston and

Bojan Pancevski
Updated June 20, 2018 2:05 p.m. ET
424 COMMENTS

BERLIN—Germany’s leading auto makers have thrown their support behind the abolition of all import tariffs for cars between the European Union and the U.S. in an effort to find a peaceful solution to the brewing trade war.

The U.S. ambassador to Germany, Richard Grenell, brought the proposal for a broader industry trade pact to the Trump administration on Wednesday, according to people familiar with the situation.

That would mean scrapping the EU’s 10% tax on auto imports from the U.S. and other countries and the 2.5% duty on auto imports in the U.S. As a prerequisite, the Europeans want President Donald Trump’s threat of imposing a 25% border tax on European auto imports off the table.

Over the past few weeks, Mr. Grenell has held closed-door meetings with the chiefs of all major German automotive companies, including bilateral meetings with the CEOs of Daimler AG , BMW AG andVolkswagen AG , which operate plants in the U.S. Overall, Germany’s auto makers and suppliers provide 116,500 jobs in the U.S., according to the Association of German Automotive Manufacturers.

Was just about to give you that link. This story was incorrectly excerpted and used to declare that germany caved, here on the board by trumptards, and apparently elsewhere. Perfect example of altfacts in trumpistan.

Everyone loses in a trade war.
It's a tax on us, and it's sounding like a big one. Good thing we got that tax cut first, huh?
This seems to be one of the ways we are paying for those huge Corp tax cuts.
It acts as a tax on those of us who are buying things. However, it is the private businesses, not the gov. that gets the money. Right?
It all goes to the government, same as any other tax.

So then you shouldn't shed a tear when a BMW or Mercedes costs 20% more.

The EU are trade abusers. To them free trade means "free money for us"

Most of the US citizens do not drive BMW and or Mercedes.
And US citizens who do drive a bmw suv, drive a car built in the USA.

And that applies to a lesser extent to Daimler as well.

Last edited:
So, let's see what Trump's trade war means to Harley.
1. The cost of their bikes rose in Europe by $2,200. Check
2. Consequently, their sales declined. Check
3. Consequently American jobs have been lost. Check
4. Consequently, they are going to build future production plants overseas. Check
5. Finally, having invested in factories overseas, these jobs are lost to the US permanently. Check.
6. And all of the above mentioned was predictable by anyone who has a lick of sense. Check
7. But not predictable to Trump. Check

Didn't they make this announcement in 2015? What was their excuse then?

There will be some short turn pain, rest assured, the foreign governments will feel the pain alot more, they are the ones with the massive trade surplus against the U.S. It's about time they get a taste of their own medicine.

Trump offered the G7, "no tariffs, no subsidies, no trade barriers" Not one taker, because they are full of shyte about "protectionism", they love exploiting the U.S and protecting their own nation.

There will be some short turn pain, rest assured, the foreign governments will feel the pain alot more, they are the ones with the massive trade surplus against the U.S. It's about time they get a taste of their own medicine.

Trump offered the G7, "no tariffs, no subsidies, no trade barriers" Not one taker, because they are full of shyte about "protectionism", they love exploiting the U.S and protecting their own nation.

Trump was full of shit, Trump does not have the power to remove all tariffs and subsidies...that is why there was no takers, they knew Trump was just talking out of his ass...again

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Trump was full of shit, Trump does not have the power to remove all tariffs and subsidies...that is why there was no takers, they knew Trump was just talking out of his ass...again

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

No, these other leaders are full of it. They smile and wave and when you turn your back they stick a knife in it.

Get smart.

'President Donald Trump's trade policy is backfiring on Harley-Davidson.
The company is shifting some production of motorcycles for European customers out of the United States to avoid EU retaliatory tariffs.

It's some of the most direct evidence yet that tit-for-tat trade fights between the United States and other countries have consequences for American companies. Harley-Davidson said it stood to lose as much as $100 million a year.

"Increasing international production to alleviate the EU tariff burden is not the company's preference, but represents the only sustainable option," Harley-Davidson said in a regulatory filing on Monday.

The EU began imposing tariffs Friday on $3.2 billion worth of American goods, including motorcycles, orange juice, bourbon, peanut butter, motorboats, cigarettes and denim. They are a response to the Trump administration's tariffs on steel and aluminum imports from Europe.

For motorcycles, the EU raised its 6% tariff to 31%. That will make each bike about $2,200 more expensive to export, Harley said.

Harley is not raising bike prices for customers or retailers.'

Harley-Davidson will move some production out of US after retaliatory tariffs

They are to build motorcycles abroad that are destined to be delivered to customers in Europe. These motorcycles will not be sold in the USA.

If you buy one in the USA, it was made in the USA.

"The company is shifting some production of motorcycles for European customers out of the United States to avoid EU retaliatory tariffs."

Although, it's hard for me to imagine a panty waist liberal like you riding a Harley? .... :lol: :lol:
Liz Taylor owned a Harley and so did Cher. I guess Cher can kick your panty waist fascist ass.
10 Celebrities and Their Harleys - Hdforums

Liz Taylor owned a Harley and so did Cher. I guess Cher can kick your panty waist fascist ass.
10 Celebrities and Their Harleys - Hdforums
Owning a Harley and riding a Harley are not the same.

Forum List

Back