Happy Confederate Memorial Day Texans

no matter how you slice & dice it - it was about a bunch of fucking traitors willing to kill their fellow americans to secede from the unio .

period.
Well, there’s been many civil wars through history. Jews, Indians, and Africans have engaged in Civil Wars

No news here to anyone that knows the slightest about Civil war history.

Lincoln's may have expressed abolitionist sentiments during his election campaign, but he made it clear that saving the Union was his top priority by far.

However, Lincoln was not the only person concerned with the Civil War. The leaders of the Confederacy made it very clear that the reason for leaving the Union was to protect slavery, and throughout the North many people were adamant abolitionists.

Everyone knew that Lincoln was an abolitionist at heart - which is why these groups fought the war.

Yes, the Civil War was primarily about slavery.
Your mixing two different things here. Secession was about slavery. The war was about imperialism.

"The destruction of confederate statues of men like Robert E Lee and Thomas Jackson was pure evil."

No, it is not "pure evil". It's not evil whatsoever.

'Destruction' of such statues was pretty rare. Rather they were removed from their public pedestals and either the metal re-purposed, or shipped off to private properties.

But more important than the iron & bronze stuff, was the message those statues represented.

• That traitors to America ----- are honorable.
  • Men who fought to destroy America -----are honorable.
  • Men who fought to protect the enslavement of people ....are honorable.
  • And at least one, Nathan Bedford Forrest, promulgated the massacre of unarmed and surrendered Union soldiers at Fort Pillow.

Such men are NOT worthy of heroic statues in public tax-payer paid spaces....in the United States of America.

IMHO

------------------------------------------------------------------------

During the war he and his armies herded 'freed slaves' into contraband camps where hundreds of thousands of them died just to keep them from fleeing North.

"Hundreds of thousands of them died"??

i have not read any reference to such.
Will the poster offer us a peer-reviewed vetting of such?

No, it is not "pure evil". It's not evil whatsoever.

'Destruction' of such statues was pretty rare. Rather they were removed from their public pedestals and either the metal re-purposed, or shipped off to private properties.

But more important than the iron & bronze stuff, was the message those statues represented.

• That traitors to America ----- are honorable.
  • Men who fought to destroy America -----are honorable.
  • Men who fought to protect the enslavement of people ....are honorable.
  • And at least one, Nathan Bedford Forrest, promulgated the massacre of unarmed and surrendered Union soldiers at Fort Pillow.

Such men are NOT worthy of heroic statues in public tax-payer paid spaces....in the United States of America.

IMHO

------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hundreds of thousands of them died"??

i have not read any reference to such.
Will the poster offer us a peer-reviewed vetting of such?
Jews, africans , and Indians, all engaged in Civil Wars and slavery through history ….in the 1800s slavery was widely practiced throughout the whole world and viewed as morally acceptable at the time.

Many of the confederates also fought for the US Army at one time. They deserve to have statues because they are the ancestors of many Americans of today and they were honorable people many of them certainly. There’s war criminals in every group throughout history including the csa. But most of these people were just every day people and yes they were our ancestors.

"....in the 1800s slavery was widely practiced throughout the whole world and viewed as morally acceptable at the time."
-----------------------------------------------------------------

"Morally acceptable"??
But notably, NOT...universally accepted as moral.
Hence, the important Abolition movement

It most certainly was not 'acceptable' in much of the United States at that time, with the exception of those states who were willing to wage war to protect their practices of enslaving people for economic benefit.

"They deserve to have statues because they are the ancestors of many Americans of today and they were honorable people many of them certainly."
-------------------------------------------------------------------

No, they do not deserve statues on taxpayer paid public spaces and should not be there merely because they represent someone's ancestor.

Those men honored by these statues were NOT honorable. The cause they fought for - the continued enslavement of people for economic gain, was NOT an honorable cause.

Hence, those who willingly and effectively advance a dishonorable activity CANNOT be considered as honorable.

If progeny of these so-called ancestors wish to have a statue of some great, great grandfather.....well then, erect one on their own private family owned land.

Actually his sentiments were white nationalist sentiments, same as the majority of abolitionists. He was for shipping them all back to Africa. As an Illinois politician he helped strengthen the Black Codes so it was impossible for any black to make a legal living in the state, same as a couple of other states did in the 1850's.

During the war he and his armies herded 'freed slaves' into contraband camps where hundreds of thousands of them died just to keep them from fleeing North. Those that weren't incarcerated were forced to work on seized plantations and not allowed to leave without written permission from the administrators. So much for what he claimed was 'freedom'.

More 'history' from your delusional fantasy world?

Your mixing two different things here. Secession was about slavery. The war was about imperialism.

The war was about secession.

The people of the Confederate states retained all ownership of everything except the slaves and a small amount of cotton. No land was taken - so no, the war was not imperialistic.

Guess again!

The war was about secession.

The people of the Confederate states retained all ownership of everything except the slaves and a small amount of cotton. No land was taken - so no, the war was not imperialistic.

Guess again!

Republicans took control of the Southern governments with carpetbaggers and black puppets. I'm glad to see you admit that the war wasn't about slavery. Progress!

Republicans took control of the Southern governments with carpetbaggers and black puppets. I'm glad to see you admit that the war wasn't about slavery. Progress!

lol over 90% of blacks left alive remained in the South for the next 3 to 4 decades. It doesn't look like they were welcomed as 'free citizens' in the North if Yankees actually were fighting to free slaves n stuff. In fact the 'anti-slavery' gimmick was marketed to the ignorant masses of immigrants by Republicans as keeping blacks out of the northern states and the new territories. They lived up to that promise.

I'm sure that the Confederate traitors were upset with the people that held office after the Civil War.

Too bad for them!

Good reminder. I am very happy the Confederacy is dead.
All my forefathers that I know about fought for the Confederacy

And I honor their memory

But saving the Union was the better outcome for America and the world

All my forefathers that I know about fought for the Confederacy

And I honor their memory

But saving the Union was the better outcome for America and the world
Like we needed the confession.... :laugh:

It has always been apparent, to everyone, that today's progeny of deplorable Confederates were more closely related to you than today's Democrats. From your own lips I bet the only Democrats you can bother to express respect for are all the old dead, slave owning ones. :laugh:

Like we needed the confession.... :laugh:

It has always been apparent, to everyone, that today's progeny of deplorable Confederates were more closely related to you than today's Democrats. From your own lips I bet the only Democrats you can bother to express respect for are all the old dead, slave owning ones. :laugh:
I have nothing to add

My remark in post 154 speaks for itself

There were great Americans on both sides of the war

You hate the Confederates and now you hate me

That makes us enemies by your choice

I have nothing to add

My remark in post 154 speaks for itself

There were great Americans on both sides of the war

You hate the Confederates and now you hate me

That makes us enemies by your choice
I've said we were enemies from jump. I've admitted that my goals are to eradicate your ancestors culture through shame, ridicule and overwhelming your demographics. I'm just wondering why so many of your frail white brethren shy away from owning their love and admiration of Confederates. Doesn't seem like a good situation for your lot with no one wanting to be associated with you deplorables.

I believe the South would have eventually come crawling back into the Union's fold without the need for war. With state-rights that they began championing once Lincoln got elected, they weren't even unified on the matter of conscription to fight the war. Their nation would have been a failure, a complete circus.

I've said we were enemies from jump. I've admitted that my goals are to eradicate your ancestors culture through shame, ridicule and overwhelming your demographics. I'm just wondering why so many of your frail white brethren shy away from owning their love and admiration of Confederates. Doesn't seem like a good situation for your lot with no one wanting to be associated with you deplorables.
I can only speak for myself

Black militants like you do not scare me at all and I never hesitate to express my opinions

I can only speak for myself

Black militants like you do not scare me at all and I never hesitate to express my opinions
Who said anything about scaring you? I said the goal was to eradicate your culture, I don't care if you're frightened or not. But I am happy to see at least one or two of you being honest deplorables.

Forum List

Back