Happy Birthday, FDR

What if the historians are biased?
Is that possible?

Of course historians are biased, and I'm sure some do not go along with the ratings. The facts are usually correct but the interpretation of the facts is the important divider. History also goes through periods where historians tend to see the facts in a different light. For example, in our history we had the nationalist historians, (Bancroft etc) all is great with our country, then Beard comes along and a new period emerges. But through it all, historians tend to keep each other in line, their facts straight and just put a different tlhought on interpretations. Perhaps it is similar to any professional group, say the AMA, where doctors have different slants on procedures but not too big a slant or the others wacks their knuckles. They have their approved methods and procedures as do the Historians.

In the greatest Country in the world the truth might be hard to find sometimes but it is still out there if you want to look for it. Sadly there is often a big difference between the pop-culture "history" we learn in the 8th grade and the truth. Anybody can call himself or herself a "historian" and the current crop of pop-culture historians are beyond a doubt so liberally biased that they should be embarrassed by the inaccuracies they promote based on political agenda.

In the eighth grade history is used to teach patriotism and good virtues, I will not tell a lie and so forth. It is the type of history used in nations that are not free to teach the truth. I think of historians as those with PHD's and usually have spent their lives teaching in the university systems or doing historical research. It is the noted historians that are usually asked to participate in presidential polls.
But your post brings up a question, do liberals usually go into teaching history or does teaching history create liberals?

It opens up an interesting argument. What qualifies a person to have the title of "scientist" or "historian" bestowed on them? Is it a "legal" status or is it an honorary designation or is it a self serving political title assumed by otherwise unqualified scholars just to give more credence to a political argument?

FDR's greatest political achievement was concealing his deteriorating health from the American voters in 1944. He never governed after the election and died six months later.

FDR's greatest political achievement was concealing his deteriorating health from the American voters in 1944. He never governed after the election and died six months later.

People must have really loved FDR to vote for him in such poor health. I think it was Frances Perkins that once recounted a story: as FDR's casket was being brought to the capital and a man near was sobbing, and she asked, "Did you know the president?" and the man answered between sobs, "No, but he knew me."

People must have really loved FDR to vote for him in such poor health. I think it was Frances Perkins that once recounted a story: as FDR's casket was being brought to the capital and a man near was sobbing, and she asked, "Did you know the president?" and the man answered between sobs, "No, but he knew me."

You have to consider the only information sources available to Americans at the time. Political pop-analyst, Will Rogers, said it best "I only know what I read in the papers". The dirty little secret is that anything was possible if the only information sources available to the public totally supported the administration.

You have to consider the only information sources available to Americans at the time. Political pop-analyst, Will Rogers, said it best "I only know what I read in the papers". The dirty little secret is that anything was possible if the only information sources available to the public totally supported the administration.

There was tremendous oppostition to FDR, by newspapers, radio, politicians, and others; all took their wacks at him. The people still elected him four times, and historians rated him high beginnng in their first poll.

There was tremendous oppostition to FDR, by newspapers, radio, politicians, and others; all took their wacks at him. The people still elected him four times, and historians rated him high beginnng in their first poll.[/Q

Actually the media circled the wagons around the administration and attacked any semblance of opposition. FDR was dying and the democrat party managed to hand pick a successor while the sitting VP was on vacation and the media pretended that it didn't happen? Who the hell was Harry Truman? The media knew that FDR was a virtual corpse in his 4th term. They would have to be idiots not to notice . The liberal media was not only incompetent but it was criminally negligent in it's duty to inform the public. The problem isn't that the liberal media lies but the problem is that it fails to tell the truth.

Complete fucking bullshit.

Every president up to FDR gracefully left office after two elected terms. America had to establish a term limit Amendment after FDR refused to step down. The liberal establishment still defends his legacy in remarkably dishonest ways. I watched a documentary about FDR and the opening of WW2. The narrators actually said "FDR considered Japan to be just an annoyance and that was part of his genius"? His genius? It was an indication of his profound ignorance and criminal negligence. America never had an intelligence network prior to WW2 and the documentary dodged around that fact, alluded to it but never criticized. The presidential order to incarcerate innocent American citizens because of their ethnicity is one of the most profound violations of the Constitution in modern times. The democrat party was well aware of FDR's failing health and they knew he would not live through his 4th term so they hand picked a successor and left the sitting V.P. off the ticket while he was on vacation. FDR barely lasted a month and his medical records disappeared from a locked safe.

"Refused to step down"?
Who asked him to "step down"? You, in the future??

SMH

Wonder why it is so important for some citizens to still be anti-Lincoln or anti-FDR? We don't seem to see much anti-Harding or anti-Fillmore after all these years, and Harding is rated as our worst president. It seems the bad president's-score care are quickly buried with the bad president and in 100 years forgotten, but to historians. In 100 years, will Reagan and Bush be as unknown to citizens as Pierce and Grant?? In 100 years or even 150 years will FDR or Lincoln be unknowns, but to history? When will FDR lose his greatest president rating?

Yeah, and who saw FDR's birth certificate? A lot can be said about FDR, but historians have never placed FDR less than third greatest American president and finally they rated him the greatest.
Republicans had to pass an amendment to keep FDR from being elected even after he died. So FDR will hold that 4 times record for some time perhaps forever? His record, elected four times and rated america's greatest president. Hard to beat that.

What if the historians are biased?
Is that possible?

yeah they are biased becuase they know the real history and not all the Fox rewrites of hisotry

It opens up an interesting argument. What qualifies a person to have the title of "scientist" or "historian" bestowed on them? Is it a "legal" status or is it an honorary designation or is it a self serving political title assumed by otherwise unqualified scholars just to give more credence to a political argument?

phds in the related subject

we all know you on the right hate education.

and sceince

and history

and facts

and reality

Wonder why it is so important for some citizens to still be anti-Lincoln or anti-FDR? We don't seem to see much anti-Harding or anti-Fillmore after all these years, and Harding is rated as our worst president. It seems the bad president's-score care are quickly buried with the bad president and in 100 years forgotten, but to historians. In 100 years, will Reagan and Bush be as unknown to citizens as Pierce and Grant?? In 100 years or even 150 years will FDR or Lincoln be unknowns, but to history? When will FDR lose his greatest president rating?

"Wonder why it is so important for some citizens to still be anti-Lincoln or anti-FDR?"

Think it could be because some citizens value the Constitution over the whims and caprice of FDR?

Could be?

"Wonder why it is so important for some citizens to still be anti-Lincoln or anti-FDR?"

Think it could be because some citizens value the Constitution over the whims and caprice of FDR?

Could be?

Apparently the people valued FDR's constitutinal whims and caprices more than Hoover, Landon, Wilke and Dewey's whims and caprices.
We all have different concepts of the constitution even the framers had different concepts and ideas of the constitution, and those differences led to political parties.

Could be?

Apparently the people valued FDR's constitutinal whims and caprices more than Hoover, Landon, Wilke and Dewey's whims and caprices.
We all have different concepts of the constitution even the framers had different concepts and ideas of the constitution, and those differences led to political parties.

I totally understand why you'd avoid he point, reggie....

It is an embarrassment to FDR supporters that he so disrespected the Constitution and the Founders.

And, I'm certain, the difficulty in escaping the blame for the mortgage meltdown, as the GRE's Fannie and Freddie are among those whims and caprices, as well.

Condolences.

Could be?

It is an embarrassment to FDR supporters that he so disrespected the Constitution and the Founders.

And, I'm certain, the difficulty in escaping the blame for the mortgage meltdown, as the GRE's Fannie and Freddie are among those whims and caprices, as well.

Condolences.

It would be interesting to make a list of those presidents that have been accused of violating the constitution. FDR, was one with Lincoln probably the most accused, then who else? Jefferson with his Louisian purchase, and what of Nixon and Johnson and maybe a number of others. But then what of the presidents not accused? Good history project.

Condolences.

It would be interesting to make a list of those presidents that have been accused of violating the constitution. FDR, was one with Lincoln probably the most accused, then who else? Jefferson with his Louisian purchase, and what of Nixon and Johnson and maybe a number of others. But then what of the presidents not accused? Good history project.

At the very least, it seems we agree that FDR violated the Constitution.

Would I be pushing it to state that his violations were not based on a need to fight a war?

1. FDR’s political theory was a pernicious one, built on Woodrow Wilson’s attack on the American Founding. Two examples….

a. His address at the Commonwealth Club in San Francisco fourteen days before the election, was laced with negative views on capitalism: “Our task now is not discovery or exploitation of natural resources, or necessarily producing more goods. It is the soberer, less dramatic business of administering resources and plants already in hand, of seeking to reestablish foreign markets for our surplus production, of meeting the problem of under-consumption, of adjusting production to consumption, of distributing wealth and products more equitably, of adapting existing economic organizations to the service of the people .The day of enlightened administration has come.” [Address to the Commonwealth Club, Franklin D. Roosevelt, published in the New York Times, September 24, 1932.

He refers to a ‘reappraisal of values,’ those of Jefferson in which the rights of the individual serve as a bulwark against government power.

b. “In Roosevelt's creative reinterpretation of the social compact, spelled out in his 1932 Commonwealth Club address, he noted that "under such a contract, rulers were accorded power, and the people consented to that power on consideration that they be accorded certain rights. The task of statesmanship has always been the redefinition of these rights in terms of a changing and growing social order." Rights come from the rulers, in other words, and they are accorded to the collectivity, to the people. Individual rights properly so called, grounded in nature and nature's God, do not exist. All rights are therefore entitlements promised by the government to the people, and all rights are based on social claims or needs recognized by government.” The Claremont Institute - Our Enemy, The State?

c. This lead to the 1944 SOTU ‘Second Bill of Rights.”

And, so died America, at the hands of the Emperor Franklin the First......

It's no wonder that he had such a fondness for Joe Stalin.

Don't you agree, reggie?

Condolences.

Would I be pushing it to state that his violations were not based on a need to fight a war?

1. FDR’s political theory was a pernicious one, built on Woodrow Wilson’s attack on the American Founding. Two examples….

a. His address at the Commonwealth Club in San Francisco fourteen days before the election, was laced with negative views on capitalism: “Our task now is not discovery or exploitation of natural resources, or necessarily producing more goods. It is the soberer, less dramatic business of administering resources and plants already in hand, of seeking to reestablish foreign markets for our surplus production, of meeting the problem of under-consumption, of adjusting production to consumption, of distributing wealth and products more equitably, of adapting existing economic organizations to the service of the people .The day of enlightened administration has come.” [Address to the Commonwealth Club, Franklin D. Roosevelt, published in the New York Times, September 24, 1932.

He refers to a ‘reappraisal of values,’ those of Jefferson in which the rights of the individual serve as a bulwark against government power.

b. “In Roosevelt's creative reinterpretation of the social compact, spelled out in his 1932 Commonwealth Club address, he noted that "under such a contract, rulers were accorded power, and the people consented to that power on consideration that they be accorded certain rights. The task of statesmanship has always been the redefinition of these rights in terms of a changing and growing social order." Rights come from the rulers, in other words, and they are accorded to the collectivity, to the people. Individual rights properly so called, grounded in nature and nature's God, do not exist. All rights are therefore entitlements promised by the government to the people, and all rights are based on social claims or needs recognized by government.” The Claremont Institute - Our Enemy, The State?

Don't you agree, reggie?

No. America didn't die, but America, when FDR became president, was in a position that it could die. Some nations changed their governments and even their economic systems. America did not change our government and altered our economic system slightly, alterations that so far no one has changed, even to privatizing Social Security.
FDR experimented, as he said he would, trying to solve the depression. There are no manuals on how to cure a depression, maybe Keynes, it's all try this or try that. In any case FDR is still the greatest--wanna try again? But stuff like FDR had a fondness for Joe Stalin is not worthy of comment.

Don't you agree, reggie?

No. America didn't die, but America, when FDR became president, was in a position that it could die. Some nations changed their governments and even their economic systems. America did not change our government and altered our economic system slightly, alterations that so far no one has changed, even to privatizing Social Security.
FDR experimented, as he said he would, trying to solve the depression. There are no manuals on how to cure a depression, maybe Keynes, it's all try this or try that. In any case FDR is still the greatest--wanna try again? But stuff like FDR had a fondness for Joe Stalin is not worthy of comment.

"But stuff like FDR had a fondness for Joe Stalin is not worthy of comment."

Now, reggie....I had believed you were an intellectual...now you turn out to be a simple apologist.

Not worthy of comment.....or you have no ability to comment and remain an FDR supporter.

1. ‘Moreover, it is obvious that a penetration so complete would have been impossible if the Communists had not been able to depend on the blindness or indifference of many of the far larger number of ordinary liberals who dominated the Roosevelt Administration. As early as the late 1930s, even known Communists in government were often regarded by their colleagues as merely "liberals in a hurry." And during the war, of course, they could be excused as simply enthusiasts for America's doughty ally, "good old Joe." Small wonder, then, that liberals, after the onset of the Cold War with the Soviet Union in 1946, dreaded so profoundly the disclosure of the appalling degree of governmental penetration that they now began to suspect the Communists had achieved on their watch in the 1930s and the first half of the 1940s.’
The Claremont Institute - A Closer Look Under The Bed

2. …Victor Kravchenko, one of the first and most influential Soviet defectors to the United States, who had written "I Chose Freedom," a searing account of life under Stalin.
Kravchenko, a mining and steel engineer, was a mid-level official in the Soviet lend-lease office in Washington, D.C., when he sought asylum in 1944. At the time, the Soviet Union was still a U.S. war ally, and many Americans were willing to give the benefit of the doubt to "Uncle Joe" Stalin. Kravchenko wanted to shatter those illusions. His defection was front-page news and prompted debate at the highest levels of government, up to and including President Franklin D. Roosevelt. Stalin demanded that he be turned over as a traitor--an automatic death sentence. FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover urged FDR to let him stay. On April 13, 1945, the day after Roosevelt died, Kravchenko received notice that his application for asylum had been granted.
Searching for Tato - latimes.com

3. The major player in the Alger Hiss saga was fellow Communist, Whitaker Chambers. In his book, Witness, Chambers explains is disillusionment as follows. In 1938, he determined not only to break with the Communist Party, but to inform on the Party when he could. The reason was that he was informed that Stalin was making efforts to align with Hitler, in 1939, and “from any human point of view, the pact was evil.”

As Hitler marched into Poland, Chambers arranged a private meeting with Adolf Berle, President Roosevelt’s assistant Sec’y of State. Chambers detailed the Communist espionage network, naming at least two dozen Soviet spies in Roosevelt’s administration, including Alger Hiss. Berle reported this to Roosevelt, who laughed, and told Berle to go f--- himself. (Arthur Herman, Joseph McCarthy: Reexaming the Life and Legacy of America’s Most Hated Senator, p. 60) No action was taken, and in fact, Roosevelt promoted Hiss.

Almost a decade later, Chambers was called before the HUAC and named Hiss as a Soviet agent. Hiss sued Chambers, at which time Chambers presented “… four notes in Alger Hiss's handwriting, sixty-five typewritten copies of State Department documents and five strips of microfilm, some of which contained photographs of State Department documents. The press came to call these the "Pumpkin Papers"(Whittaker Chambers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) And, of course, all doubt was removed in 1995, when the Venona Soviet cables were decrypted.

4. So, reggie.....bet you think that FDR's second VP was accidentally a KGB agent, huh?

Hardly.

Last edited:

Don't you agree, reggie?

Now, reggie....I had believed you were an intellectual...now you turn out to be a simple apologist.

Not worthy of comment.....or you have no ability to comment and remain an FDR supporter.

1. ‘Moreover, it is obvious that a penetration so complete would have been impossible if the Communists had not been able to depend on the blindness or indifference of many of the far larger number of ordinary liberals who dominated the Roosevelt Administration. As early as the late 1930s, even known Communists in government were often regarded by their colleagues as merely "liberals in a hurry." And during the war, of course, they could be excused as simply enthusiasts for America's doughty ally, "good old Joe." Small wonder, then, that liberals, after the onset of the Cold War with the Soviet Union in 1946, dreaded so profoundly the disclosure of the appalling degree of governmental penetration that they now began to suspect the Communists had achieved on their watch in the 1930s and the first half of the 1940s.’
The Claremont Institute - A Closer Look Under The Bed

2. …Victor Kravchenko, one of the first and most influential Soviet defectors to the United States, who had written "I Chose Freedom," a searing account of life under Stalin.
Kravchenko, a mining and steel engineer, was a mid-level official in the Soviet lend-lease office in Washington, D.C., when he sought asylum in 1944. At the time, the Soviet Union was still a U.S. war ally, and many Americans were willing to give the benefit of the doubt to "Uncle Joe" Stalin. Kravchenko wanted to shatter those illusions. His defection was front-page news and prompted debate at the highest levels of government, up to and including President Franklin D. Roosevelt. Stalin demanded that he be turned over as a traitor--an automatic death sentence. FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover urged FDR to let him stay. On April 13, 1945, the day after Roosevelt died, Kravchenko received notice that his application for asylum had been granted.
Searching for Tato - latimes.com

3. The major player in the Alger Hiss saga was fellow Communist, Whitaker Chambers. In his book, Witness, Chambers explains is disillusionment as follows. In 1938, he determined not only to break with the Communist Party, but to inform on the Party when he could. The reason was that he was informed that Stalin was making efforts to align with Hitler, in 1939, and “from any human point of view, the pact was evil.”

As Hitler marched into Poland, Chambers arranged a private meeting with Adolf Berle, President Roosevelt’s assistant Sec’y of State. Chambers detailed the Communist espionage network, naming at least two dozen Soviet spies in Roosevelt’s administration, including Alger Hiss. Berle reported this to Roosevelt, who laughed, and told Berle to go f--- himself. (Arthur Herman, Joseph McCarthy: Reexaming the Life and Legacy of America’s Most Hated Senator, p. 60) No action was taken, and in fact, Roosevelt promoted Hiss.

Almost a decade later, Chambers was called before the HUAC and named Hiss as a Soviet agent. Hiss sued Chambers, at which time Chambers presented “… four notes in Alger Hiss's handwriting, sixty-five typewritten copies of State Department documents and five strips of microfilm, some of which contained photographs of State Department documents. The press came to call these the "Pumpkin Papers"(Whittaker Chambers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) And, of course, all doubt was removed in 1995, when the Venona Soviet cables were decrypted.

4. So, reggie.....bet you think that FDR's second VP was accidentally a KGB agent, huh?

Hardly.

Wow, you got the goods on FDR. Wonder why no one has brought this up before? You should immediately let those noted historians and presidential experts in the Siena poll
know of this discovery.
As I said earlier, during the early depression years the country was in some danger of keeping the nation under the same government and same economic system. Veterans camped in DC asking for their bonus money to be paid early and routed by MacArthur and the vets were accused of being communists. One or two of the vets killed. Perhaps other vets were even part of the German American Nazi Bund, then there was the Townsend planners and still others. All upset with America and the depression. Were there also communists about, probably and probably spies German communist and others.
But all this was known and is known to historians, and still FDR, voted the greatest American president. And what of McCarthy, an American hero or...?

Forum List

Back