Flaming Libs/Koranimals
May 1, 2012
Gulf of Mex 26.609, -82.220
Will the vegans eat it?

6C8518271-130805-beef-burger-4x3-1054a.blocks_desktop_medium.jpg

'Intense flavor': The $330,000 hamburger that was built in a lab hits the spot

Alastair Jamieson and Alan Boyle, NBC News
48 minutes ago

LONDON — After years of research and weeks of buildup, taste testers on Monday finally bit into a burger created from stem cells in a culture dish rather than meat from a farm or a store.

The burger was cooked in front of reporters and taste-tested by Chicago-based author and food writer Josh Schonwald and Austrian food researcher Hanni Rutzler.

Although they struggled to decide whether they liked the taste, both were pleasantly surprised at the texture and juicyness given the absence of natural fats.

"It wasn't unpleasant," said Schonwald.

"There is quite some intense flavor," Rutzler said, although she added that it needed seasoning. "The look was quite similar to meat. It has quite a bite."

She added: "The surface of the meat was crunchy - surprisingly. The taste itself was as juicy as meat can be, but different. It tastes like meat, not a meat-substitute like soya or whatever."

Monday's high-profile tasting at West London's Riverside Studios, broadcast online via streaming video, served as the public unveiling for a strain of "cultured beef" developed by University of Maastricht physiologist Mark Post. He declared the taste test a success.

"I'm very excited. It took a long time to get this far," said Post. "I think this is a very good start. I'm very happy with it."

Aided by a €250,000 ($330,000) donation from Google co-founder and entrepreneur Sergey Brin, Post has been working since 2008 to produce a palatable food product from lab-grown muscle cells. He and other scientists involved in similar projects aren't doing it just for the novelty. They see test-tube meat as a means to head off what could become a global food crisis.

'Intense flavor': The $330,000 hamburger that was built in a lab hits the spot - NBC News.com

Oh, God .... PLEASE make them put very big labels on this product when or if it goes pubic. I sure as hell don't want to accidentally get any of it.

Stem cells? Did the taste testers start chewing their cud and swatting at flies after they ate the burger?

I thought the left & PETA would be giddy over this...

Meat production already requires more than half of the world's estimated agricultural capacity, and experts say that proportion is expected to grow dramatically in the decades ahead, due to a demand for meat fueled by rising affluence in China and other parts of the world. Studies have shown that lab-grown meat production methods can be more energy-efficient and result in lower greenhouse-gas emissions than conventional livestock farming. Artificial meat would also eliminate the need to raise and slaughter billions of farm animals.

'Intense flavor': The $330,000 burger that was built in a lab hits the spot - NBC News.com

Forum List

Back