Haiti Earthquake Fault Line

You know, I clicked on this, because Matt and I are going to Jamaica on vacay for our 20th, this year, and it was not until AFTER (of course) he booked it that I realized how close Jamaica is to haiti and how much of an earthquake zone Jamaica is in as well!

I thought this thread was going to talk about the ACTUAL fault in that region! :eek:

Good morning!

Care

You know, I clicked on this, because Matt and I are going to Jamaica on vacay for our 20th, this year, and it was not until AFTER (of course) he booked it that I realized how close Jamaica is to haiti and how much of an earthquake zone Jamaica is in as well!

I thought this thread was going to talk about the ACTUAL fault in that region! :eek:

Good morning!

Care

Well, have a nice vacation. Chances are that you will not get a quake. Look up how often they have a significant quake there, and divide that time by the you are going to spend there, and that will give you your odds of being there during a quake. You will probably be surprised at the long odds.

There is a statistical fallacy there somewhere, but my math skills are not l337 enough to know the name of it. All it takes is one to ruin your weekend. Unlike Roulette and Dice, the probabilities of a bad result keep getting bigger as time moves forward.

Here in the Pacific NorthWet, earthquakes are pretty rare. But when we get one, they are huge. Records indicate we had something on the magnitude of 9.5 plus back in August of 1700.

Anyway, have a good time in Jamaica. May all the shaking you experience be on the dance floor

The Obama Administration will be honoring the 43rd President of the United States by naming the gap between the tectonic plates beneath Haiti after him.

The area will now officially be referred to as "Bush's Fault."

That was so funny I forgot to laugh.

There is a statistical fallacy there somewhere, but my math skills are not l337 enough to know the name of it. All it takes is one to ruin your weekend. Unlike Roulette and Dice, the probabilities of a bad result keep getting bigger as time moves forward.

Here in the Pacific NorthWet, earthquakes are pretty rare. But when we get one, they are huge. Records indicate we had something on the magnitude of 9.5 plus back in August of 1700.

Anyway, have a good time in Jamaica. May all the shaking you experience be on the dance floor

Seattle had an earthquake a I think 9 or ten years ago, not very big but they still have them. We also get small ones here once in awhile.
Plus there is the whole fact Washington has two active volcano's.

I remember when St. Helens went off. That was a show.

I feel sorry for the civil defense folks in Seattle. If Rainier goes, all you really do about it is watch and wait for it to come to you.

I remember when St. Helens went off. That was a show.

I feel sorry for the civil defense folks in Seattle. If Rainier goes, all you really do about it is watch and wait for it to come to you.

I don't feel bad for the people who live in the new communities that popped up at the bottom. I saw a piece where these people were bitching about the communities disaster plan. I yelled at the tv, " Don't f-ing buy a house on a volcano".

And my mom was pregnant with me when St. Helens went.

You are correct if the fault is one that moves at regular intervals. However, if it is like our own subduction zone, with intervals ranging between 100 and 900 years, no real way to tell.

Baruch, you forced me to check my memory. I remembered it as January. It was January 26, 1700. A 9.5 that would bring down every overpass from Cape Mendicino to the north end of Vancouver Island.

Forum List

Back