Gym Follies

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I'm sure it has been done before, but after a particularly exasperating trip to the gym yesterday I feel a need to vent about some of the stuff that goes on. I will express myself with a few "Don'ts"

Don't...

...put your giant gym bag on the bench in the locker room so that other people don't have any place to sit down. It is not a coffee table; it is a bench. It's intended to be a place to sit down.

...leave your laundry on the weight benches (or machines) to tie them up when you are off having a drink or a conversation. It's rude as hell.

...have long conversations while sitting on a machine between sets. In fact, if you are not going to do your next set within a minute (that's sixty seconds, if you are counting), get off the machine and let someone else use it.

...leave the bench or machine covered with your sweat. Really.

...use any bench or weight machine for more than 5 minutes. Might make an exception for a bench-press bench - those workouts can legitimately take a while.

...cover the timer on the treadmill so nobody can see that you've exceeded the 30 minute limit. Nobody is fooled. Your deviousness is even more irritating than your extended use of the machine.

...fill your quart water bottle from the drinking fountain on the exercise floor. Those are for people who want to grab a quick drink. Fill your bottle in the locker room.

...drop the weights.

"Don't..."
Don't tell me don't.
"...put your giant gym bag on the bench in the locker room so that other people don't have any place to sit down. It is not a coffee table; it is a bench. It's intended to be a place to sit down."

I don't carry a gym bag so I am excempt. Still, I disagree. You should set your bag down on whatever locker room bench you want. If you don't like it, tough luck, go sit somewhere else or sign up with someplace better like 24 hour Fitness where a "locker room bench" goes all the way around the room so people like you don't complain.
"...leave your laundry on the weight benches (or machines) to tie them up when you are off having a drink or a conversation. It's rude as hell."

Who gives a ****. I get a drink of water between every set. Sometimes for the hydration, sometimes just to walk it off. And then people like you seize the opportunity to rush to the machine I was using. To Hell with that. I'll leave a shirt/ towel/ sweater there so you know who the **** was using that s***. It's my way of saying, "I'm here human. Stay the **** away till I'm done."
"...have long conversations while sitting on a machine between sets. In fact, if you are not going to do your next set within a minute (that's sixty seconds, if you are counting), get off the machine and let someone else use it."
I half agree. It's annoying as Hell when someone takes 45 minutes on one workout because they're talking to somebody in the gym or they're on their phone. Lol. But if I'm taking more than a minute to do my next set, deal with it. Maybe I'm mentally preparing myself for an intense set. Maybe I'm just catching a breather. Maybe I'm getting a drink of water. Maybe I'm choosing some badass death metal song on my phone for some inspiration. Maybe somebody is hitting on me and I've got to convince them that they should've been aborted.

That machine becomes my territory until I'm done with it. Same goes for everybody else. You should learn that.
"...leave the bench or machine covered with your sweat. Really."

Finally I agree with you. When people leave their sweat all over the machines I just wish I had the power to make their skin fall of their bones. But then I say in my mind, "There is no emotion... there is peace." And move on.
"...use any bench or weight machine for more than 5 minutes. Might make an exception for a bench-press bench - those workouts can legitimately take a while."

I average about 4 sets every machine with approximately a minute to a minute and a half in between. For reasons described above, if I take longer than you like, live with it and stay out of my business.
"...cover the timer on the treadmill so nobody can see that you've exceeded the 30 minute limit. Nobody is fooled. Your deviousness is even more irritating than your extended use of the machine."

What gym do YOU go to that you need 30 minute limit lmao. They got like 40 or so treadmills at my gym. Nobody has a time limit and nobody is ever without a machine. I prefer running outside though so you can have your treadmill. Still... if I wanted to run over 30 minutes on the treadmill at your gym, I would, regardless on whom is waiting or rushing me. If the staff starting crying about it than I'd move to something else.
"...fill your quart water bottle from the drinking fountain on the exercise floor. Those are for people who want to grab a quick drink. Fill your bottle in the locker room."

So... I gotta go out of my way so that you don't have to go out of your way? Hell no. I don't care if there are seven people behind me. Wait your ass in line while I fill up my water. It looks especially stupid when you're all waiting for the higher water fountain and there is absolutely no line behind the smaller water fountain. Like it'll detract from your masculinity or something. Ugh.

"...drop the weights."
The weights can handle it, and there are plenty of them. Still, they aren't indestructible. But whatever.

Last edited:
"Don't..."
Don't tell me don't.
"...put your giant gym bag on the bench in the locker room so that other people don't have any place to sit down. It is not a coffee table; it is a bench. It's intended to be a place to sit down."

I don't carry a gym bag so I am excempt. Still, I disagree. You should set your bag down on whatever locker room bench you want. If you don't like it, tough luck, go sit somewhere else or sign up with someplace better like 24 hour Fitness where a "locker room bench" goes all the way around the room so people like you don't complain.

Who gives a ****. I get a drink of water between every set. Sometimes for the hydration, sometimes just to walk it off. And then people like you seize the opportunity to rush to the machine I was using. To Hell with that. I'll leave a shirt/ towel/ sweater there so you know who the **** was using that s***. It's my way of saying, "I'm here human. Stay the **** away till I'm done."

I half agree. It's annoying as Hell when someone takes 45 minutes on one workout because they're talking to somebody in the gym or they're on their phone. Lol. But if I'm taking more than a minute to do my next set, deal with it. Maybe I'm mentally preparing myself for an intense set. Maybe I'm just catching a breather. Maybe I'm getting a drink of water. Maybe I'm choosing some badass death metal song on my phone for some inspiration. Maybe somebody is hitting on me and I've got to convince them that they should've been aborted.

That machine becomes my territory until I'm done with it. Same goes for everybody else. You should learn that.

Finally I agree with you. When people leave their sweat all over the machines I just wish I had the power to make their skin fall of their bones. But then I say in my mind, "There is no emotion... there is peace." And move on.

I average 4 sets every workout with approximately a minute to a minute and a half in between. For reasons described above, if I take longer than you like, live with it and stay out of my business.

What gym do YOU go to that you need 30 minute limit lmao. They got like 40 or so treadmills at my gym. Nobody has a time limit and nobody is ever without a machine. I prefer running outside though so you can have your treadmill. Still... if I wanted to run over 30 minutes on the treadmill at your gym, I would, regardless on whom is waiting or rushing me. If the staff starting crying about it than I'd move to something else.
"...fill your quart water bottle from the drinking fountain on the exercise floor. Those are for people who want to grab a quick drink. Fill your bottle in the locker room."

So... I gotta go out of my way so that you don't have to go out of your way? Hell no. I don't care if there are seven people behind me. Wait your ass in line while I fill up my water. It looks especially stupid when you're all waiting for the higher water fountain and there is absolutely no line behind the smaller water fountain. Like it'll detract from your masculinity or something. Ugh.

"...drop the weights."
The weights can handle it, and there are plenty of them. Still, they aren't indestructible. But whatever.
Arrogant self absorbed assholes like you is one of the main reasons I quit and set up a home gym.

And evidence that weight lifters do have some testosterone issues, just like everybody says!

I'm sure it has been done before, but after a particularly exasperating trip to the gym yesterday I feel a need to vent about some of the stuff that goes on. I will express myself with a few "Don'ts"

Don't...

...put your giant gym bag on the bench in the locker room so that other people don't have any place to sit down. It is not a coffee table; it is a bench. It's intended to be a place to sit down.

...leave your laundry on the weight benches (or machines) to tie them up when you are off having a drink or a conversation. It's rude as hell.

...have long conversations while sitting on a machine between sets. In fact, if you are not going to do your next set within a minute (that's sixty seconds, if you are counting), get off the machine and let someone else use it.

...use any bench or weight machine for more than 5 minutes. Might make an exception for a bench-press bench - those workouts can legitimately take a while.

...cover the timer on the treadmill so nobody can see that you've exceeded the 30 minute limit. Nobody is fooled. Your deviousness is even more irritating than your extended use of the machine.

...fill your quart water bottle from the drinking fountain on the exercise floor. Those are for people who want to grab a quick drink. Fill your bottle in the locker room.

...drop the weights.

I agree with all of those except the 30 minute time limit on the treadmill. Does your gym have a time limit on the treadmill? I run up to an hour on the treadmill when I go to the gym during the winter months as I will run five or more miles. Some days I will split between the treadmill and ARC Trainer, but some days I just want to do a long run. My gf runs six to eight miles when she goes, so she's on there for more than an hour. The gym I go to has about 50 treadmills and around 40 ellipticals. They only have 12 ARC's but not as many people use those, so I rarely have trouble finding an open one.

Don't...

...drop the weights.

Oops, missed the one about the water bottle. I have no problem with people filling up their water bottles. It doesn't take that long. Of course, we have four water fountains at my gym, so again, it's rarely an issue.

My gym is Future Fitness in Lake City, Florida. The people there are extremely considerate. The only problem I ever had was when someone occupied a station while they were resting and engaged in a lengthy conversation. However, when I finally asked the person if I could use the device he was apologetic and immediately honored my request.

I think that people who work out are a lot more considerate than those who do not.

Yes, my gym has a posted time limit for the treadmills.

And if you must know, it even makes sense from a fitness standpoint. Any aerobic benefit that can be gained on the treadmill is gained in the first 20 minutes. Everything after that is just masturbation.

Dear Goddess: YOU are the problem. You are a self-absorbed jerk.

No such time limit on the treadmills at my gym. But then, we have about ten of them, so there is always one free when you want one.

Sorry for the "self absorbed" response. I didn't mean so sound so... hateful.

It's just that I've heard similar things before and it can be infuriating when people expect you to be overly mindful of everybody else in the gym when the reality is, we are all going for ourselves. Especially those of us that workout solo and would rather not affiliate with anyone else while at the gym.

I don't pay attention to other humans there! I'm "self absorbed" in realizing my own goals, lost in my own thoughts, entranced in a ritual of self improvement, my senses dulled by my music and my imagination, as the melodies pour into my soul and the excercise grants my body and mind this beautiful euphoria, it just feels SO GOOD and the last thing I need is some human distraction to mess it all up.

So that's why I'm not constantly thinking about all the humans around me while I'm working out.

Nice OP.

One thing that bothers me is when people leave weights on the bars expecting the next person to remove them and put them away.

Sorry for the "self absorbed" response. I didn't mean so sound so... hateful.

It's just that I've heard similar things before and it can be infuriating when people expect you to be overly mindful of everybody else in the gym when the reality is, we are all going for ourselves. Especially those of us that workout solo and would rather not affiliate with anyone else while at the gym.

I don't pay attention to other humans there! I'm "self absorbed" in realizing my own goals, lost in my own thoughts, entranced in a ritual of self improvement, my senses dulled by my music and my imagination, as the melodies pour into my soul and the excercise grants my body and mind this beautiful euphoria, it just feels SO GOOD and the last thing I need is some human distraction to mess it all up.

So that's why I'm not constantly thinking about all the humans around me while I'm working out.
That's cool but the fact is that there are other humans there and sharing equipment and resources is a big part of it. If you have 5 people waiting for you to fill your water bottle, you're doing it wrong and you should have filled a bigger one before you came in. Wandering off for a drink between sets with your clothes on the machine is rude. If you need to drink that often carry water. You are paying to share the facilities like everyone else.

Taking more than a minute between sets is rude and not recommended for a workout anyway. The point is to exercise, not occupy time and space.

Sharing a bench is part of it, your bag is just as happy on the floor. If bending over another 18" is too much effort for you then you are in the wrong place.

It doesn't take that long to fill a water bottle. People can wait. And I wait a good minute on a machine before continuing. Unless its obvious someone is waiting for it, which has only happened once.

Don't waste your money going to a gym.

Why? It's a great investment if you use it. During the winter, I'm there five to six days per week for about an hour each day. During the warmer months, I only go their every third day to lift weights. I run outside the rest of the time.

Don't...

...drop the weights.

You forgot one...

...don't go to a public gym and whine about everything. If it's all that traumatizing to you then stay home

Forum List

Back