This is a strange one, but you never know...

Clement

A REAL free thinker
Mar 8, 2014
I am recovering from a full neck fusion, and if you don't know what that is, it means that every disc in my neck collapsed and they compensated for it by separating each vertebra and placing a bone where where the disc was. Then they bolted the whole mess together.

The annoying thing is that I can't lift my head enough to shave under my chin. I can't see what I am doing and I can't hold my razor at the right angle. I tried to shave yesterday for the first time and what a hassle.

I still don't know if I can drive or not, but for now I'll settle for being able to shave.

Any ideas?

Patience.

Good luck.

I suddenly remembered that I have an electric shaver I was given a while back. I'll try it when it charges up.

I would still like to hear from anyone who has had this operation.

Forget about shaving under your chin. This obsession can only lead to you shaving other parts of your body which were never meant to be shaven. Soon, you will have an uncontrollable compulsion to shave others, even homeless people you’ve never met before. There are legal issues involved here.

Let it go.

Seriously, my prayer for you is a speedy recovery. I wish you well.

Wishing you the best. Sure doesn't sound like anything I would want to try.

Seriously, my prayer for you is a speedy recovery. I wish you well.

God bless you both.

It only hurts REAL bad for a couple of weeks, then you are in for a very slow recovery. You make some progress every day but the steps are very small. But thanks for the good thoughts.

I am recovering from a full neck fusion, and if you don't know what that is, it means that every disc in my neck collapsed and they compensated for it by separating each vertebra and placing a bone where where the disc was. Then they bolted the whole mess together.

The annoying thing is that I can't lift my head enough to shave under my chin. I can't see what I am doing and I can't hold my razor at the right angle. I tried to shave yesterday for the first time and what a hassle.

I still don't know if I can drive or not, but for now I'll settle for being able to shave.

Any ideas?

I use a rotary electric shaver with success. I prefer to use a standard, manual blade but I will use the rotary if I'm in a hurry.

Any ideas?

I use a rotary electric shaver with success. I prefer to use a standard, manual blade but I will use the rotary if I'm in a hurry.

Yeah, the one I have doesn't work very well, I will have to look around for a rotary. Thanks for the reply.

This may not help, but I always shave in the shower, by feel. No mirror at all. What do you have to see that you cannot feel with your left hand? If you miss a spot it will be obvious.

You have my sympathy for the injury and surgery. I guess watching tennis matches would be a real problem.

This may not help, but I always shave in the shower, by feel. No mirror at all. What do you have to see that you cannot feel with your left hand? If you miss a spot it will be obvious.

You have my sympathy for the injury and surgery. I guess watching tennis matches would be a real problem.

Not if you watch them on TV!

Part of the problem is that I can't hold the razor at the correct angle but I haven't tried cutting the handle shorter yet, which may work.

Part of the problem is that I can't hold the razor at the correct angle but I haven't tried cutting the handle shorter yet, which may work.

You dont shave against the grain?

I just recently had spine surgery.

Its important that you do exactly as your doctor tells you.

Whiskers can wait.

Well, I try.

I just recently had spine surgery.

Its important that you do exactly as your doctor tells you.

Whiskers can wait.

If I may, did you have back or neck?

Look at shaving as being a coping mechanism - it makes me feel normal. Besides, I couldn't stand to look at myself in the mirror any longer. I looked like a death camp survivor.

Last edited:

Well, I try.

Your face will get use to it. At least mine did.
Maybe it's time to grow a nice beard?

I feel your pain though. After my hip replacement it took a good eight months for things to start feeling normal. The worst part was getting use to having one leg slightly longer then the other. I'd trip on shit constantly.:lol:

Well, I try.

I feel your pain though. After my hip replacement it took a good eight months for things to start feeling normal. The worst part was getting use to having one leg slightly longer then the other. I'd trip on shit constantly.:lol:

Thank God that is one problem I don't have - my knees and hip joints are still in pretty good shape. Hope you are doing better now.

I recently got a new driver license and the girl behind the counter asked me if I wanted to be an organ donor. I said "Honey, I don't have anything worth donating". :D

I had c-6 and c-7 fused back in the mid 90's. Give it time and you will regain mobility.

Well, I try.

Thank God that is one problem I don't have - my knees and hip joints are still in pretty good shape. Hope you are doing better now.

I recently got a new driver license and the girl behind the counter asked me if I wanted to be an organ donor. I said "Honey, I don't have anything worth donating". :D

Same to you. I figure at this point it beats being dead.:D

Forum List

Back