Guns, what are the issues?

What I see here is many people stricken by shock and grief and who have the means to make their voice heard. Very little is said about homicides among our poor.
Gun violence in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Deadly mass shootings have resulted in considerable coverage by the media. These shootings have represented 1% of all deaths by gun between 1980 and 2008.
The United States has a murder rate on par with Thailand.
List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Of those murders, of the ones for which the FBI received weapons data, 67.5% involve the use of firearm in 2010.
FBI ? Expanded Homicide Data
The vast majority of homicides with a firearm were committed using a handgun, not an assault weapon. Most of these guns used in these homicides are obtained on the black market. The black market is fueled by the unregulated secondary market.

What are the proposals to curtail this secondary market and stop the real gun violence in our country?

What does any of this have to do with the UCSB shooting? He bought those guns legally, and went through 3 seperate background checks. Are you confused by the fact that California actually has eliminated that "secondary market" you are hyperventilating about? Or do you just have aproblem with sticking to the actual question I raised?
I have a problem with the gun control debate being dominated by the coverage of mass shootings. And are we pretending that illegal firearms don't cross state lines, because I didn't get that memo.

I didn't get that memo either, what is your point?

What does any of this have to do with the UCSB shooting? He bought those guns legally, and went through 3 seperate background checks. Are you confused by the fact that California actually has eliminated that "secondary market" you are hyperventilating about? Or do you just have aproblem with sticking to the actual question I raised?
I have a problem with the gun control debate being dominated by the coverage of mass shootings. And are we pretending that illegal firearms don't cross state lines, because I didn't get that memo.

I was listing facts about gun violence in our country, asking why the gun control debate revolves around stopping suburbanite lunatics with manifestos in crayon which account for 1% of the gun violence in our country and soliciting ideas on how to stop the other 99% of gun violence in our country.
If I am out of line for asking these questions in this thread, then I will cease and desist.

I was listing facts about gun violence in our country, asking why the gun control debate revolves around stopping suburbanite lunatics with manifestos in crayon which account for 1% of the gun violence in our country and soliciting ideas on how to stop the other 99% of gun violence in our country.
If I am out of line for asking these questions in this thread, then I will cease and desist.

Then start your own thread, this thread is about the issues that the gun control nuts keep saying will end mass shooting in America.

They are not mutually exclusive.

They are not mutually exclusive.

I agree that the two problems are not mutually exclusive. I agree that the two conversations need not be mutually exclusive. There are several common factors. However, I am concerned that the proposals for better reporting on the backgrounds of individual buyers will not curtail the larger problem of gun violence that is driven by the flow of firearms, specifically handguns, from legitimate places of business to the black market. As the OP suggested. I'll start a new thread.

Forum List

Back