Guns, what are the issues?

Could have told ya right off this thread wasn't going to garner any attention.

Catastrophic failure of every cause the gun grabbers have been pushing for the last 30 years.

They're just going to ignore it and hope it fades from memory.

I got exactly what I was expecting, nothing. Om the other hand, it does highlight the complete lack of logic and reason on the pro gun control side of the argument.

It takes little to highlight the lack of logic and reason in the position. None of the provisions being put forth have any impact at all on the problem. They simply provide talking points for politicians and pundits. It's like treating cancer by cutting off the patients feet. It doesn't help, it causes harm, but at least you can say your doing something.

The real issue is, which may come as a shock to most, no one of us needs to own a gun. Guns are only needed in war situations and to get criminals under control.

Indeed, even the gun-control groups have it wrong as well. I agree, no matter how many laws you have against guns, as long as that Second Amendment mentality prevails, there will be no end to this irrational crave of wanting to own a gun. It is the mentality the problem, not owning the guns alone. Americans need to get out of this idea that a gun is for protecting against the other and think about it instead it does more harm possessing it. Other people in other countries live their lives without them - guns only belong to law enforcing agencies and the military. They have far more less violence in their lives and don't need amendments to grant them free access to these lethal weapons.

I know I belong to the very minority in this philosophy and my ideas are far less popular at this time.

I don't need a computer. I don't need running shoes. There are a lot of things I don't need. Until you can demonstrate that my having something is causing harm to someone else, then whether I need it or not is irrelevant.

The real issue is, which may come as a shock to most, no one of us needs to own a gun. Guns are only needed in war situations and to get criminals under control.

Indeed, even the gun-control groups have it wrong as well. I agree, no matter how many laws you have against guns, as long as that Second Amendment mentality prevails, there will be no end to this irrational crave of wanting to own a gun. It is the mentality the problem, not owning the guns alone. Americans need to get out of this idea that a gun is for protecting against the other and think about it instead it does more harm possessing it. Other people in other countries live their lives without them - guns only belong to law enforcing agencies and the military. They have far more less violence in their lives and don't need amendments to grant them free access to these lethal weapons.

I know I belong to the very minority in this philosophy and my ideas are far less popular at this time.

In other words, you believe your attitude is the correct one and the law should impose it on the rest of the world. I could take the same attitude toward any of a multitude of things. Let's try this one. No one needs to travel faster than 35 mph. If we restricted every vehicle in the world to traveling no faster than that, untold lives and energy would be saved. Yet we will not do that, because we have a high speed fetish that demands we be able to drive as fast as we can get away with. High speed vehicles have no purpose other than to feed the weak egos of their drivers.

I don't need a computer. I don't need running shoes. There are a lot of things I don't need. Until you can demonstrate that my having something is causing harm to someone else, then whether I need it or not is irrelevant.

Legal gun owners are very safe people.

And who has guns at that point?

:lmao:

We don't need free speech, the right to vote, or anything else unless the government sees a need for us to have it either, am I right?

I am, once again, being accused of not addressing the issues of gun control regarding mass shootings. My problem with that accusation is that I literally do not get the issues.

California has some of the strictest gun control laws in the nation. In order to buy a handgun you have to have be over 21, show a drivers license and proof of residency, provide proof that you took a gun safety course, demonstrate to the dealer at the time of sale that you can safely handle the gun you are trying to purchase, and then you go through the background check with a 10 day waiting period. Elliot Rogers did this on 3 separate occasions, and thus legally owned 3 pistols. California also prohibits any magazine with a capacity over 10 rounds, so Rogers had 41 magazines with him, none of which held over 10 rounds. What issues am I failing to address when I point out that gun control laws don't prevent mass shootings?

That a society the glorifies guns and violence needs to right its ship if it wants to keep its guns. Apparently responsible gun ownership is unconstitutional these days. If you need evidence of what control freaks some of the gun zealots are I could screencap some of my negrep comments I get from them whenever I disagree with them. :cuckoo:

In a society that glorifies guns and violence would you expect mass shootings to account for more or less than 1% of all gun murders?

I am, once again, being accused of not addressing the issues of gun control regarding mass shootings. My problem with that accusation is that I literally do not get the issues.

California has some of the strictest gun control laws in the nation. In order to buy a handgun you have to have be over 21, show a drivers license and proof of residency, provide proof that you took a gun safety course, demonstrate to the dealer at the time of sale that you can safely handle the gun you are trying to purchase, and then you go through the background check with a 10 day waiting period. Elliot Rogers did this on 3 separate occasions, and thus legally owned 3 pistols. California also prohibits any magazine with a capacity over 10 rounds, so Rogers had 41 magazines with him, none of which held over 10 rounds. What issues am I failing to address when I point out that gun control laws don't prevent mass shootings?

That a society the glorifies guns and violence needs to right its ship if it wants to keep its guns. Apparently responsible gun ownership is unconstitutional these days. If you need evidence of what control freaks some of the gun zealots are I could screencap some of my negrep comments I get from them whenever I disagree with them. :cuckoo:

In a society that glorifies guns and violence would you expect mass shootings to account for more or less than 1% of all gun murders?

Yes.

Clearly most conservatives have no interest in honest, good faith debate as to what regulatory measures are appropriate and those that are not; instead they make unfounded, inane, and hyperbolic references to ‘banning all guns,’ ‘gun grabbing,’ and ‘confiscation,’ most of the posts in this very thread are proof of that.

Well, let's see. At the Federal level we have the 1932 National Firearms Act, the 1968 Gun Control Act, 1986 Firearms Owner Protection Act (with the Hughes Amendment), the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban, the Lautenberg Amendment plus the other 20,000 or so state, county, and local gun laws and ordnances.

How much more do you need to get it right because the more laws you make to control guns, the worse gun violence seems to get.

As others have pointed out, there is no requirement to show "need" with otheitems wehave.

But I would argue that we do indeed need guns.

The police do a good job of catching criminals who have already committed a crime. They suck at preventing them. In many areas, especially rural areas, the police response time can be 20 to 30 minutes. If a woman lives alone she is at the mercy of a large male or multiple males for almost half an hour?

Also, without hunters many game animals would overpopulate and destroy woodlands and cause problems. In the case of whitetail deer, the increase in auto accidents has skyrocketed in areas that outlawed hunting. Feral hogs are already a huge problem. You want to remove the best solution?

I used guns for pest control. Poison kills any species. I killed coyote and let the raccoons, red fox, and other species live.

Yes.

Let me rephrase

In a society that glorifies guns and violence would you expect mass shootings to account for more than or less than 1% of all murder?

Yes.

Let me rephrase

In a society that glorifies guns and violence would you expect mass shootings to account for more than or less than 1% of all murder?

Yes. I doubt it is always exactly 1% :smiliehug:

If they accounted for most murders, it would be a different dynamic. That they account for roughly 100 murders a year out of 12K a year shows that the glorification of guns and violence is a societal problem, not just a problem for white males in the late teens and early 20's with histories of mental illness, antisocial behaviors, video game addictions, and youtube manifesto makings.

These stand your ground laws are Orwellian proof of how obsessed people are with guns--you can kill anybody you want, even if you were the original aggressor. Last man standing is exempt from prosecution as long as it was on their property or the other person did not yield to their libertarian authority and they claim to have been in fear of their lives.

Let me rephrase

If they accounted for most murders, it would be a different dynamic. That they account for roughly 100 murders a year out of 12K a year shows that the glorification of guns and violence is a societal problem, not just a problem for white males in the late teens and early 20's with histories of mental illness, antisocial behaviors, video game addictions, and youtube manifesto makings.

These stand your ground laws are Orwellian proof of how obsessed people are with guns--you can kill anybody you want, even if you were the original aggressor. Last man standing is exempt from prosecution as long as it was on their property or the other person did not yield to their libertarian authority and they claim to have been in fear of their lives.

The thing is most gun deaths about 80% or so according to the CDC are related to gang violence.

If we took just 6 of our most violent cities out of the count the murder rate would be more in line with other countries.

The fact is that most murders involve criminals in large urban areas.

So it is more a problem with our cities and the failures of the governing bodies of those cities than it is with guns.

More people living outside of large urban areas legally own guns than do people in large urban areas and yet have a much lower murder rate.

By your logic wouldn't the people with the most guns commit most of the murders?

Let me rephrase

The thing is most gun deaths about 80% or so according to the CDC are related to gang violence.

If we took just 6 of our most violent cities out of the count the murder rate would be more in line with other countries.

So it is more a problem with our cities and the failures of the governing bodies of those cities than it is with guns.

More people living outside of large urban areas legally own guns than do people in large urban areas and yet have a much lower murder rate.

By your logic wouldn't the people with the most guns commit most of the murders?

No to your last question. As to the highlighted part, did you ever consider that perhaps all those movies in the 80's and 90's glorifying gangland gun violence may have had an impact on poor kids in those cities and we are at the trailing edge of that trend's effects?

By the way, as an addendum, we tried selective enforcement in high crime cities and the gun rights people had a cow about it. That was what gave us Heller. There is no regulation that people of a certain ilk will accept, so we should stop even considering their lack of contribution to or support of alternative violence measures or gun regulations. They are wasted energy for those of us who are willing to make reasonable compromises, whether those compromises yield guaranteed results or not.

No to your last question. As to the highlighted part, did you ever consider that perhaps all those movies in the 80's and 90's glorifying gangland gun violence may have had an impact on poor kids in those cities and we are at the trailing edge of that trend's effects?

Yea it's the movies. :cuckoo:

Nothing do with drugs, poverty, lack of parental authority, etc..... it's the movies.

I'd be amazed if you could even dress yourself.

By the way, as an addendum, we tried selective enforcement in high crime cities and the gun rights people had a cow about it. That was what gave us Heller. There is no regulation that people of a certain ilk will accept, so we should stop even considering their lack of contribution to or support of alternative violence measures or gun regulations. They are wasted energy for those of us who are willing to make reasonable compromises, whether those compromises yield guaranteed results or not.

We have 20,000 gun laws in this country at every level. How many more do you need?

While we're on the subject, gun owners have compromised and compromised and compromised. What do we get in return? What do the gun grabbers ever give up in their end of those reasonable compromise?

We have 20,000 gun laws in this country at every level. How many more do you need?

While we're on the subject, gun owners have compromised and compromised and compromised. What do we get in return? What do the gun grabbers ever give up in their end of those reasonable compromise?

We just need 1 more and that will do it.

Yea it's the movies. :cuckoo:

Nothing do with drugs, poverty, lack of parental authority, etc..... it's the movies.

I'd be amazed if you could even dress yourself.

I probably could if I had to, but then my valet would no longer be needed, and in this economy, it would be rude to let him go.

When I see gun defenders advocating for poverty programs instead of screaming "We need lower taxes" and supporting drug programs instead of taking them out of prisons, you faux outrage will have merit. Until then, it is as faux as the rest of your gun arguments.

The real issue is, which may come as a shock to most, no one of us needs to own a gun.
Funny things about rights -- they arent held to somone's perceotion of "need".

No one "needs" to wear a jacket into a federal courthouse that says "Fuck the draft" - but the right to so so is protected by the Constitution.

Indeed, even the gun-control groups have it wrong as well. I agree, no matter how many laws you have against guns, as long as that Second Amendment mentality prevails, there will be no end to this irrational crave of wanting to own a gun.
What "irrational craving" is that?

It is the mentality the problem, not owning the guns alone. Americans need to get out of this idea that a gun is for protecting against the other...
You do not believe we have the right to self-defense or the need for the capacity to effectively exercise said right?
Why?

The fact that a tiny tiny tiny minority of firearms are ever used irresponsibly does much to destory your position.

Forum List

Back