Guns, what are the issues?

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
I am, once again, being accused of not addressing the issues of gun control regarding mass shootings. My problem with that accusation is that I literally do not get the issues.

California has some of the strictest gun control laws in the nation. In order to buy a handgun you have to have be over 21, show a drivers license and proof of residency, provide proof that you took a gun safety course, demonstrate to the dealer at the time of sale that you can safely handle the gun you are trying to purchase, and then you go through the background check with a 10 day waiting period. Elliot Rogers did this on 3 separate occasions, and thus legally owned 3 pistols. California also prohibits any magazine with a capacity over 10 rounds, so Rogers had 41 magazines with him, none of which held over 10 rounds. What issues am I failing to address when I point out that gun control laws don't prevent mass shootings?

I am, once again, being accused of not addressing the issues of gun control regarding mass shootings. My problem with that accusation is that I literally do not get the issues.

California has some of the strictest gun control laws in the nation. In order to buy a handgun you have to have be over 21, show a drivers license and proof of residency, provide proof that you took a gun safety course, demonstrate to the dealer at the time of sale that you can safely handle the gun you are trying to purchase, and then you go through the background check with a 10 day waiting period. Elliot Rogers did this on 3 separate occasions, and thus legally owned 3 pistols. California also prohibits any magazine with a capacity over 10 rounds, so Rogers had 41 magazines with him, none of which held over 10 rounds. What issues am I failing to address when I point out that gun control laws don't prevent mass shootings?

That a society the glorifies guns and violence needs to right its ship if it wants to keep its guns. Apparently responsible gun ownership is unconstitutional these days. If you need evidence of what control freaks some of the gun zealots are I could screencap some of my negrep comments I get from them whenever I disagree with them. :cuckoo:

Until you can change the heart of a man, you cannot prevent him from being a danger to society. Taking away one tool of destruction only turns another implement into a new tool of destruction. Exchanging freedom for security is a false choice that results in the loss of both.

I did a speech on gun control.

The NRA did not respond to my request for information.
The police department did reply.

Regardless of background checks, you don't know the morality or responsibility of the person buying. That is the hard part for me.

Democrats in the government have a hidden agenda, which is to disarm the American citizens so they can force their will upon them but they tell everyone it's because they want to make people safer. The liberal sycophants (like the ones on this board) are happy to carry their water for them, so they keep making empty arguments about how criminals won't kill anybody if we take guns away from law-abiding citizens. They think they can sell that shit.

BTW, you forgot to note that California has UNIVERSAL background checks. Not that in mattered to Rodgers.

Could have told ya right off this thread wasn't going to garner any attention.

Catastrophic failure of every cause the gun grabbers have been pushing for the last 30 years.

They're just going to ignore it and hope it fades from memory.

Liberals lie about gun control just like they lie about everything else. They know full well that murders ( sometimes multiples ) will always happen even if guns disappeared from the face of the Earth.

The state of Virginia has a instant name check law that includes misdemeanor and felony arrests and court ordered psychiatric orders but it seems that the worst school shooting in US history happened on a Virginia campus because left wing (democrats) decided that a privacy issue for crazy people trumps the freaking law and the protection of society against crazy people. The Va. Tech Blacksburg shooter was feared by the faculty and female students but he was coddled by the left wing elites and not arrested when female students complained about being stalked. The local police were convinced that students should be given a pass because a misdemeanor conviction could impair their future so the potential shooter was ordered to undergo psychiatric counseling and while his mental condition continued to detiorate he was able to purchase a weapon because the liberal elite decided not to follow the law and his name check came up clean. Every mass shooter in modern history was either a jihad anti-American or a crazy person from a liberal environment.

responsibility-----there is no way a liberal will place responsibility on a murderer who uses a gun. They will always blame the gun.

Democrats in the government have a hidden agenda, which is to disarm the American citizens so they can force their will upon them but they tell everyone it's because they want to make people safer. The liberal sycophants (like the ones on this board) are happy to carry their water for them, so they keep making empty arguments about how criminals won't kill anybody if we take guns away from law-abiding citizens. They think they can sell that shit.

Apparently not, if you’re telling everyone all about it.

Otherwise, the notion that democrats are seeking to ‘ban all guns’ is willful ignorance and demagoguery on the part of most on the right.

Clearly most conservatives have no interest in honest, good faith debate as to what regulatory measures are appropriate and those that are not; instead they make unfounded, inane, and hyperbolic references to ‘banning all guns,’ ‘gun grabbing,’ and ‘confiscation,’ most of the posts in this very thread are proof of that.

Otherwise, the notion that democrats are seeking to ‘ban all guns’ is willful ignorance and demagoguery on the part of most on the right.

Clearly most conservatives have no interest in honest, good faith debate as to what regulatory measures are appropriate and those that are not; instead they make unfounded, inane, and hyperbolic references to ‘banning all guns,’ ‘gun grabbing,’ and ‘confiscation,’ most of the posts in this very thread are proof of that.

You would run from honesty like a striped ass ape
It's settled science. Gun control does not stop murders.

Your post makes no sense, and your sig shows your total hypocrisy.

Could have told ya right off this thread wasn't going to garner any attention.

Catastrophic failure of every cause the gun grabbers have been pushing for the last 30 years.

They're just going to ignore it and hope it fades from memory.

I got exactly what I was expecting, nothing. Om the other hand, it does highlight the complete lack of logic and reason on the pro gun control side of the argument.

I'd be happy to discuss it Clayton...but you are actually pretty pro-Second yourself.

Do you want to discuss how waiting periods, universal background checks AND standard background checks, high capacity magazine bans and gun registration did not a single solitary thing do to stop this mass shooting...exactly the way we said it wouldn't?

Last edited:
Rodger killed three of his victims with a knife. So, even if he had no guns, he would likely have gone on his murder spree.

Rodger killed three of his victims with a knife. So, even if he had no guns, he would likely have gone on his murder spree.
If he had stopped at 3 it still would have been a murder spree, but the left only considers them dead if a gun was used.

The real issue is, which may come as a shock to most, no one of us needs to own a gun. Guns are only needed in war situations and to get criminals under control.

Indeed, even the gun-control groups have it wrong as well. I agree, no matter how many laws you have against guns, as long as that Second Amendment mentality prevails, there will be no end to this irrational crave of wanting to own a gun. It is the mentality the problem, not owning the guns alone. Americans need to get out of this idea that a gun is for protecting against the other and think about it instead it does more harm possessing it. Other people in other countries live their lives without them - guns only belong to law enforcing agencies and the military. They have far more less violence in their lives and don't need amendments to grant them free access to these lethal weapons.

I know I belong to the very minority in this philosophy and my ideas are far less popular at this time.

Forum List

Back