Gun question Makarov vs Mauser

Especially if it's an Oberndorf Mauser.

Any WWII Mauser rifle is worth money. Oberndorf is just the city where Mauser is located. There is nothing magical about where it was made. What matters is the condition and if it is a rare variation.

I finally checked out the barrel and it shows signs of corrosion, so I wouldn't want it anyway.

That is the remains of a Gewher 98, and in that condition not worth very much. 150 to 200 as parts.

Mausers are fine weapons. Makarovs are jamming pieces of junk. Depending on where the corrosion is, you could cut the barrel and crown it and have a decent weapon. If it's in the forcing cone side, no.

Mausers are fine weapons. Makarovs are jamming pieces of junk. Depending on where the corrosion is, you could cut the barrel and crown it and have a decent weapon. If it's in the forcing cone side, no.

Makarovs are fine too. Just depends on how well cared for they are. They are, after all, a Walther design for all intents and purposes.

I have two Bulgarian Makarovs and a K98k Mauser. I never thought of comparing the value. I assume the Maks are in VG - EX condition. It all depends on how original the Mauser is, and if it retains all the original markings. If the Mauser is original, and pristine it will be worth much more than a Bulgie Mak.

Mine has never failed to feed or fire except for one round that was bad. True story.

Especially if it's an Oberndorf Mauser.
Any WWII Mauser rifle is worth money. Oberndorf is just the city where Mauser is located. There is nothing magical about where it was made. What matters is the condition and if it is a rare variation.
German WWII Rifle Ordnance Codes

Pre-ww2 Mausers are better because they weren't under pressure. Mine is FN.

Very well made, all matching #s. Post ww2 Mausers are good, too.

Mine has never failed to feed or fire except for one round that was bad. True story.

My Mauser has never failed. It's the best shooting platform ever. I can work that bolt like Lucas McCain with his lever action. :iyfyus.jpg:

I have several rifles, but the bolt on the Mauser is the best. It's just so right.

New gun? Wtf is this?

My Mauser has never failed. It's the best shooting platform ever. I can work that bolt like Lucas McCain with his lever action. :iyfyus.jpg:

I have several rifles, but the bolt on the Mauser is the best. It's just so right.

New gun? Wtf is this?
No, I'm cleaning it for a friend.

New gun? Wtf is this?
No, I'm cleaning it for a friend.

Oh, no no no..comparing my new gun action to my Mauser. Wtf?!

What are you talking about??? I have two Bulgarian Makarovs, a Russian and an East German. I have owned them since the early 90's when all that stuff was surplused into the U.S. NONE have ever jammed, nor malfunctioned, just like my two Russian SKS's. Never had a problem and I have and would trust my life with them. Makarovs are one of the most reliable pistol designs made.

What are you talking about??? I have two Bulgarian Makarovs, a Russian and an East German. I have owned them since the early 90's when all that stuff was surplused into the U.S. NONE have ever jammed, nor malfunctioned, just like my two Russian SKS's. Never had a problem and I have and would trust my life with them. Makarovs are one of the most reliable pistol designs made.

I still like Mausers better. :funnyface:

Would you say a mid 90's production Bulgarian Makarov with some ammo is a good swap for a German Mauser with some ammo. Both are in good shape and I don't know if all Mausers have German writing but this one does. I'd be getting the Mauser.

They look about like these two:

IMG_0506_zpsaf478636.jpg

180049_ts.jpg

I say go for the Mauser. Find out where it came from though and do some research. What caliber is the Mauser? 7x57, 6.5x55 ? Loooots of Mausers were made and aloooot of all the good ones are all bought up. So what country did it come from and what caliber is it?

Would you say a mid 90's production Bulgarian Makarov with some ammo is a good swap for a German Mauser with some ammo. Both are in good shape and I don't know if all Mausers have German writing but this one does. I'd be getting the Mauser.

IMG_0506_zpsaf478636.jpg

180049_ts.jpg

I say go for the Mauser. Find out where it came from though and do some research. What caliber is the Mauser? 7x57, 6.5x55 ? Loooots of Mausers were made and aloooot of all the good ones are all bought up. So what country did it come from and what caliber is it?
It's 8mm from Germany and it's a pile of junk.

IMG_0506_zpsaf478636.jpg

180049_ts.jpg

A lot of them are as they used corrosive ammo, and the barrels are shot out. Mine was re-arsenalled in Yugoslavia and re-barreled. No real collector value, but it is in great shape and a good shooter. It retains all Nazi markings, except for the barrel of course.

IMG_0506_zpsaf478636.jpg

180049_ts.jpg

A lot of them are as they used corrosive ammo, and the barrels are shot out. Mine was re-arsenalled in Yugoslavia and re-barreled. No real collector value, but it is in great shape and a good shooter. It retains all Nazi markings, except for the barrel of course.
Yeah, the barrel is pretty rough on it.

IMG_0506_zpsaf478636.jpg

180049_ts.jpg

Man that sucks. What was wrong with it? 8mm is a fun round if you reload. Dandy deer round.

IMG_0506_zpsaf478636.jpg

180049_ts.jpg

Man that sucks. What was wrong with it? 8mm is a fun round if you reload. Dandy deer round.
Inside the barrel, it looks to have heavy pitting likely due to corrosive ammo, and the general overall appearance was poor.

Forum List

Back