Gun question Makarov vs Mauser

Mausers are fine weapons. Makarovs are jamming pieces of junk. Depending on where the corrosion is, you could cut the barrel and crown it and have a decent weapon. If it's in the forcing cone side, no.

What are you talking about??? I have two Bulgarian Makarovs, a Russian and an East German. I have owned them since the early 90's when all that stuff was surplused into the U.S. NONE have ever jammed, nor malfunctioned, just like my two Russian SKS's. Never had a problem and I have and would trust my life with them. Makarovs are one of the most reliable pistol designs made.

I still like Mausers better. :funnyface:

I like them with the old barrels twisted out and replaced by something from Shilen. I would see if I could just buy the gun cheap, rebarrel it (I would keep the 8mm so I could be a caliber snob) and restock it and boom! New favorite semi custom bolt gun!

Would you say a mid 90's production Bulgarian Makarov with some ammo is a good swap for a German Mauser with some ammo. Both are in good shape and I don't know if all Mausers have German writing but this one does. I'd be getting the Mauser.

They look about like these two:

IMG_0506_zpsaf478636.jpg

180049_ts.jpg

I say go for the Mauser. Find out where it came from though and do some research. What caliber is the Mauser? 7x57, 6.5x55 ? Loooots of Mausers were made and aloooot of all the good ones are all bought up. So what country did it come from and what caliber is it?
It's 8mm from Germany and it's a pile of junk.

Man that sucks. What was wrong with it? 8mm is a fun round if you reload. Dandy deer round.
Inside the barrel, it looks to have heavy pitting likely due to corrosive ammo, and the general overall appearance was poor.

Yup. Mausers that are "good" are getting hard to come by. Many of those rifles are hitting 100 years old. I remember my dad getting in trouble for buying three for the whopping sum of $150 bucks in 1989.

Mausers are fine weapons. Makarovs are jamming pieces of junk. Depending on where the corrosion is, you could cut the barrel and crown it and have a decent weapon. If it's in the forcing cone side, no.

What are you talking about??? I have two Bulgarian Makarovs, a Russian and an East German. I have owned them since the early 90's when all that stuff was surplused into the U.S. NONE have ever jammed, nor malfunctioned, just like my two Russian SKS's. Never had a problem and I have and would trust my life with them. Makarovs are one of the most reliable pistol designs made.

I still like Mausers better. :funnyface:

I like them with the old barrels twisted out and replaced by something from Shilen. I would see if I could just buy the gun cheap, rebarrel it (I would keep the 8mm so I could be a caliber snob) and restock it and boom! New favorite semi custom bolt gun!

After the Berlin Wall came down, there was a great era of surplus firearms coming in from the former Combloc countries. That's when a lot of Maks and K98k's, SKS's, etc came in CHEAP. I bought them all. Lots of stuff from Russia, the former East Germany, Yugoslavia, Hungary, Poland, etc.

The K98k's were cheap and plentiful for a while as were the others. Those days are long gone.

Would you say a mid 90's production Bulgarian Makarov with some ammo is a good swap for a German Mauser with some ammo. Both are in good shape and I don't know if all Mausers have German writing but this one does. I'd be getting the Mauser.

They look about like these two:

IMG_0506_zpsaf478636.jpg

180049_ts.jpg

I say go for the Mauser. Find out where it came from though and do some research. What caliber is the Mauser? 7x57, 6.5x55 ? Loooots of Mausers were made and aloooot of all the good ones are all bought up. So what country did it come from and what caliber is it?

Man that sucks. What was wrong with it? 8mm is a fun round if you reload. Dandy deer round.
Inside the barrel, it looks to have heavy pitting likely due to corrosive ammo, and the general overall appearance was poor.

Yup. Mausers that are "good" are getting hard to come by. Many of those rifles are hitting 100 years old. I remember my dad getting in trouble for buying three for the whopping sum of $150 bucks in 1989.

This one was 102 years old. Surprising testament to German manufacturing. What was he in trouble for?

This one was 102 years old. Surprising testament to German manufacturing. What was he in trouble for?

Because he always bought a bunch of old ass guns. I remember in that house there was one closet you couldent walk into because of all the old ass guns and ammo for them. He was into the SMLE's and anything like them to.

Because he always bought a bunch of old ass guns. I remember in that house there was one closet you couldent walk into because of all the old ass guns and ammo for them. He was into the SMLE's and anything like them to.
I get it, in trouble with his bosslady.

Forum List

Back