Gun problem

miketx

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2015
My daughter in law bought a 9mm sig and gave me back the S&W 380 bodyguard I gave her and I ordered a ten round mag for it.

1698882311500.png

The mags it has came with a 6 round capacity. The new mag from pro mag seems to work ok except when you get to the tenth round it is EXTREMELY hard to load it into the mag. Does anyone now how to fix this? If I take the mag apart and file down the back side of the follower or trim the spring a little would that help? I just wanted ask before I send it back and see if there was some minor thing I could do.

My daughter in law bought a 9mm sig and gave me back the S&W 380 bodyguard I gave her and I ordered a ten round mag for it.

View attachment 851848

The mags it has came with a 6 round capacity. The new mag from pro mag seems to work ok except when you get to the tenth round it is EXTREMELY hard to load it into the mag. Does anyone now how to fix this? If I take the mag apart and file down the back side of the follower or trim the spring a little would that help? I just wanted ask before I send it back and see if there was some minor thing I could do.

I would contact the seller first if this is abnormal behavior as you shouldn't need to modify it.
It might have a defect.
If you shorten the spring, then you might have loading or jamming problems when the magazine is almost empty.

• Banned
I would contact the seller first if this is abnormal behavior as you shouldn't need to modify it.
It might have a defect.
If you shorten the spring, then you might have loading or jamming problems when the magazine is almost empty.
I called them and they said send it back. I just wonder if it will get easier with use?

I called them and they said send it back. I just wonder if it will get easier with use?

Sounds to me that they either installed the wrong spring or just installed it wrong. No mag spring should be absolutely bottomed out to the max even when full. Under that kind of pressure, there is a good chance that it could fail after a time. If the replacement is the same way, then you can consider:
  • Getting a mag from another manufacturer.
  • Just using a different mag period.
  • Modifying it and risk ruining it or it failing/working poorly after modding.
  • Only loading 9 rounds in it.

• Banned
Sounds to me that they either installed the wrong spring or just installed it wrong. No mag spring should be absolutely bottomed out to the max even when full. Under that kind of pressure, there is a good chance that it could fail after a time. If the replacement is the same way, then you can consider:
  • Getting a mag from another manufacturer.
  • Just using a different mag period.
  • Modifying it and risk ruining it or it failing/working poorly after modding.
  • Only loading 9 rounds in it.
I'll take it apart and see what there is.

View attachment 851848

Loader tool mcgimmick. Is it a single or double-stack mag?

I'm gonna guess it's single.

Last edited:
  • Banned
I'm thinking if I take some material off the follower depending on how it's shaped, that might do it.

View attachment 851848

For real, I'd stick with 9. You've got the spring all the way down at the end of it's travel and I doubt there's much to do about it.

View attachment 851848

Get a MagLula.

I'd return the mag for a new one first if it really is that hard.

I wouldn't recommend altering the spring though. Sure you might be able to load that last round better but it will reduce pressure and can potentially cause jamming problem on the last couple rounds with decreased upward force on the round.

If nothing else load it and load it a bunch of times and store it fully loaded to exercise and compress the spring some.

See if you can buy a official smith and Wesson one. I always try to buy magazines from the manufacturer. I don't know that model so I don't know if they sell one. On the occasion I bought after market ones I had good results with Magpul brand.

Forum List

Back