CDZ Gun Lovers, complete this sentence

Darkwind, post: 19379969
No. I will not lay aside My actual Constitutional Right to own firearms to satisfy an agenda driven discussion point.

Why can't you own all, without restriction and regulation, any type of modern combat firearms available today if you have a Constitutional Right to own them?

Your argument has a really big M16 size hole in it.
Not really. If you think about it, you'll understand why

I have read it ... it starts out with a leading question.
I absolutely need an assault rifle because___?

What do you find leading about that?
Is that a serious question?

Your entire OP is leading in that it is making the assertion that need has anything whatsoever to do with the ownership of weapons. You blatantly remove the core reason that justification is pointless here as you do not need to justify a right. Those that want to infringe on it must justify why.

I reject that you give a hoot about the answer to the question anyway since a few posters have clearly answered it and those have been ignored by you in favor of pretending the answers you knew you would get are 'deflecting' or did not read the OP. Lets just bypass the cover and go right to the heart of it and assume there is no justification whatsoever. The next question then is so what? Justification is irrelevant in the exercise of a right. There is simply no way around that whatsoever.
I am not denying the right to own an assault rifle. I wonder about the necessity to own an assault rifle.

In this thread I have heard that it is necessary to defend one's self from an over reaching and corrupt system of government nad corporate power brokers. I have heard that it is necessary to defend one's self against marauding hordes of Muslims and criminals hell bent on invading your house. I have heard that it is necessary simply because it is a right.

But those answers raise more questions. Are there indeed maurading hordes of Muslims and criminals? Could an assault rifle hole off the forces of a corrupt government and their corporate overlords?

The crux of the current debate has been effectively shut down by the semantics of definitions. A convenient means of deflecting the discussion away from real informantion. Much as the debate over the former assault weapons ban was deflected by arguing over the cosmetics of guns rather than the essential questions of lethality and practicality beyond sporting use.

Today we are debating the merits and practicality of arming teachers. The majority of advocates say teachers should have concealed guns.

That drives this question: if it is necessary to have an assault rifle for personal defense, why is a concealed weapon deemed adequate to defend a school room? Shouldn't a school room have the best defensive tools available? And if an assault weapon is necessary for personal defense, shouldn't an assault rifle be slung over the shoulder of a classroom sentinel?

And that prospect drives this question: Is that the society we want to raise our children in?

That drives this question: if it is necessary to have an assault rifle for personal defense, why is a concealed weapon deemed adequate to defend a school room?

You have to pick the gun to fit the job....

A rifle can't easily be carried around, and it is obvious. A many hand guns are easy to carry and can be concealed.

We know that mass shooters choose gun free zones....so the mere act of having armed people on campus makes the school less likely to be a target.....since we know from living mass shooters and the notes of dead mass shooters that they are not looking for a fight, they are looking to murder unarmed people.

So, we achieve the right tool by balancing ease of carry and concealment with effectiveness....and in the case of a school, several pistol armed staff or armed security fits the needs, they deter attackers and can still effectively engage them with pistols..........where an AR-15 doesn't make a good match.

An AR-15 is better for the home, especially during a natural disaster or social disturbance like a riot. Also...for isolated locations where the police may be half hour to an hour away...farms and ranches......an AR-15 makes a better match....especially in border state ranches...where you may face drug cartel drug runners or illegal alien coyotes who have actual military rifles.....supplied by the Mexican police or military....or which they bought from China and European countries....
Why do mass shooters pick the weapons they do?
We can never know for absolute - they are both insane and dead making that rather difficult.

I think that in general though they pick those weapons because of the optics, because they are looking for a specific feeling that those weapons are giving them and ultimately because the last guy used something similar.

You must not have read the OP.

I have read it ... it starts out with a leading question.
I absolutely need an assault rifle because___?

What do you find leading about that?
Is that a serious question?

Your entire OP is leading in that it is making the assertion that need has anything whatsoever to do with the ownership of weapons. You blatantly remove the core reason that justification is pointless here as you do not need to justify a right. Those that want to infringe on it must justify why.

I reject that you give a hoot about the answer to the question anyway since a few posters have clearly answered it and those have been ignored by you in favor of pretending the answers you knew you would get are 'deflecting' or did not read the OP. Lets just bypass the cover and go right to the heart of it and assume there is no justification whatsoever. The next question then is so what? Justification is irrelevant in the exercise of a right. There is simply no way around that whatsoever.
I am not denying the right to own an assault rifle. I wonder about the necessity to own an assault rifle.

In this thread I have heard that it is necessary to defend one's self from an over reaching and corrupt system of government nad corporate power brokers. I have heard that it is necessary to defend one's self against marauding hordes of Muslims and criminals hell bent on invading your house. I have heard that it is necessary simply because it is a right.

But those answers raise more questions. Are there indeed maurading hordes of Muslims and criminals? Could an assault rifle hole off the forces of a corrupt government and their corporate overlords?
Yes it can. As far as the murading hordes - no they do not exist but criminals do and the weapon you chose to protect yourself is up to you.
The crux of the current debate has been effectively shut down by the semantics of definitions. A convenient means of deflecting the discussion away from real informantion. Much as the debate over the former assault weapons ban was deflected by arguing over the cosmetics of guns rather than the essential questions of lethality and practicality beyond sporting use.
It is more than that. Demanding the use of 'scary' terms for the weapon in question - assault, military style or or any other term - when the terms are not accurate is for a purpose and that is not to frame the debate in a honest manner.

You did not ask if we needed an AR 15 - you asked if we needed an 'assault' rifle.
Today we are debating the merits and practicality of arming teachers. The majority of advocates say teachers should have concealed guns.

That drives this question: if it is necessary to have an assault rifle for personal defense, why is a concealed weapon deemed adequate to defend a school room? Shouldn't a school room have the best defensive tools available? And if an assault weapon is necessary for personal defense, shouldn't an assault rifle be slung over the shoulder of a classroom sentinel?
Because a handgun is a far better tool in an enclosed space where wielding a long rifle would be needlessly complex. Because they cannot easily be concealed - an important factor when dealing with an active shooter scenario as well as fostering the correct environment within a school and also far more difficult to store reasonably.
And that prospect drives this question: Is that the society we want to raise our children in?
That all depends. I think you have a far different vision of what that looks like than I do.

Again, these 'questions' that you think the answers are driving do not seem to be honest questions.

So please, as sincerely as possible, answer this simple question: 'I absolutely need an assault rifle because_____'.

Let us all understand.

The same reason I need life insurance, a spare tire, an emergengy ladder in my bedroom, and a first aid kit in my truck. It's far better to have one and not need it than to need one and not have it.

Last edited:
Fact is, I can own my guns without having to explain to you or anyone else just why I need or want them.

No you can't. The federal government tells you what types of weapons you can have. If the law changes that changes as well. Well regulated, learn it, live it. New laws are on the way so you'll have to decide whether to be a criminal or a law abiding citizen. So solly.

2aguy, post: 19385506
They have been picking the AR-15 because it is popular in video games.....and because gun grabbers are giving it a reputation it doesn't deserve......8 million in private hands.....and they kill fewer people than knives, clubs or empty hands, yet the left wing media is demanding it be banned.....hand guns are used to murder about 10,000 people a year.....yet the media wants that rifle banned....

The black cameo of the AR15 is simiilar to religiius, cult and NAZI symbols that can potentially drive certain deadly behaviors in people.

Handguns as symbolic of killing humans may evoke a similar passionate and cult like behavior in people but not so much as the assault rifle in my opinion.

So you are saying the handgun with clips are a very efficient human killing tool for mass murderers but not the ultimate human killing tool as an assault rifle would be. I've seen thus far the OP question answered on the need to own an AR15 is based on self protection and revolt against the government.

The purpose of the AR ban for civilian hands is symbolic, cultural and psychological. The psychological aspect for what an AR ban would accomplish is demonstrated by the few responsible gun owners that have destroyed their assault rifle.l in public. Also symbolic.

They get it. The fact that 99.9 percent of AR15 owners don't get it is no reason to cease pressing for a ban on the primary weapon and symbol that drives potential mass killing shooters to plan and carry out their evil act.

You forgot to mention Vegas by the way. The killer there was apparently enamored with the AR and we've heard of no other motivational cause to do what he did.

Perhaos a solid ban intact two decades ago would have stopped him. A ban is worth it it if it stops one mass shooting going foreword. If it helps diminish the allure of owning and playing with human killing tools of any kind in this country m, it is worth it to me.

If generation Z loses the desire and passion for playing with assault rifles, that is a great thing and will make our kids in school safer and no less free. They will be alive to be free. Dead school kids will never know a full life of freedom that is for sure.

Stop playing the freedom card to justify playing with such a deadly toys.

Last edited:
Missourian, post: 1938719
The same reason I need life insurance, a spare tire, an emergengy ladder in my bedroom, and a first aid kit in my truck. It's far better to have one and not need it than to need one and not have it.

Why stop at owning one assault rifle and living alone in a home or going out in public armed with your private little arsenal all by your self? .

If you should encounter a marauding band of twenty or more heavily armed evil guys and gals are you not overwhelmingly outnumbered.

You don't have what you need.

You need a small plation of your own to accompany you at all times. At least Secret Service protection 24-7.

You people crack me up.

Most people don't need what you need. How did you get this way?

As I wrote in the OP, I don't want to get bogged down in semantics. There are already threads on this board trying to arrive at a definition.

And, believe me when I say, 'assault rifle' and 'assault weapon' are phrases desperately in need of definitions.

But, in service of this particular thread, let us call an assault rifle an AR-15, an AK-47 and any other rifles commonly used by mass shooters. Rifles with the firing rate, the particular lethality of the rounds fired and the intended design purpose.

In the last assault weapons ban legislation, the debate was muddled by cosmetics. Grips, stocks and flash suppresses have no bearing on the factors that make assault rifles so very lethal.

An AR-15 is never an Assault rifle, close to, but not quite. AK select-fire can be an Assault rifle.

In service of this thread, let's call you a Jackalope. It's close to, but not quite, Jackass.

I absolutely need an assault rifle because_________.

Lay aside what you perceive as a constitutional right. Lay aside any obfuscation over the verbal semantics (don't try to define 'assault rifle').

Simply justify your need of an assault rifle.

Perhaps if we fully understand your need for one or two or thirty of them, we could understand why assault weapons are, indeed, a necessity. Show us the virtue of the assault rifle. Why are they good?

Some folks have good experiences with guns. Some folks are the sinue and bone of America's gun culture. Some folks are true sportsmen and women and enjoy the outdoors and their love of the hunt. Some folks are dedicated target shooters keen on hitting their mark be it paper or a clay pigeon. I fully support these wholesome and healthy activities.

But some folks have had tragic experiences with guns. Some are the survivors of gun violence. Some are the victims of gun violence. Some folks have sadly lost loved ones to gun violence. And some live in neighborhoods which tragically experience gun violence on an all too regular basis. Please have empathy for them. They have suffered too long under the threat of the havoc guns bring into their lives.

We have had far too many mass shootings in this nation. No other nation suffers this level of gun violence. We are not beset with a greater number cases of mental illness than other nations. There is something foul about the numbers of shooting victims here compared with other natione in the developed world.

What do you suppose is our unique American problem?

So please, as sincerely as possible, answer this simple question: 'I absolutely need an assault rifle because_____'.

Let us all understand.

Anyone who calls a commonplace semiautomatic rifle that has been available to civilians for over 100 years an "assault rifle" is too fucking stupid to ask any questions worth answering

Anyone who calls a commonplace semiautomatic rifle that has been available to civilians for over 100 years an "assault rifle" is too fucking stupid to ask any questions worth answering
You just couldn't do it, could you?
Lay aside what you perceive as a constitutional right. Lay aside any obfuscation over the verbal semantics (don't try to define 'assault rifle').

2aguy, post: 19385506
They have been picking the AR-15 because it is popular in video games.....and because gun grabbers are giving it a reputation it doesn't deserve......8 million in private hands.....and they kill fewer people than knives, clubs or empty hands, yet the left wing media is demanding it be banned.....hand guns are used to murder about 10,000 people a year.....yet the media wants that rifle banned....

The black cameo of the AR15 is simiilar to religiius, cult and NAZI symbols that can potentially drive certain deadly behaviors in people.

Handguns as symbolic of killing humans may evoke a similar passionate and cult like behavior in people but not so much as the assault rifle in my opinion.

So you are saying the handgun with clips are a very efficient human killing tool for mass murderers but not the ultimate human killing tool as an assault rifle would be. I've seen thus far the OP question answered on the need to own an AR15 is based on self protection and revolt against the government.

The purpose of the AR ban for civilian hands is symbolic, cultural and psychological. The psychological aspect for what an AR ban would accomplish is demonstrated by the few responsible gun owners that have destroyed their assault rifle.l in public. Also symbolic.

They get it. The fact that 99.9 percent of AR15 owners don't get it is no reason to cease pressing for a ban on the primary weapon and symbol that drives potential mass killing shooters to plan and carry out their evil act.

You forgot to mention Vegas by the way. The killer there was apparently enamored with the AR and we've heard of no other motivational cause to do what he did.

Perhaos a solid ban intact two decades ago would have stopped him. A ban is worth it it if it stops one mass shooting going foreword. If it helps diminish the allure of owning and playing with human killing tools of any kind in this country m, it is worth it to me.

If generation Z loses the desire and passion for playing with assault rifles, that is a great thing and will make our kids in school safer and no less free. They will be alive to be free. Dead school kids will never know a full life of freedom that is for sure.

Stop playing the freedom card to justify playing with such a deadly toys.

Stop trying to restrict freedom, and the inalienable God-given right to self-defense.

You just couldn't do it, could you?
No I cannot waste my time answering stupid questions from stupid people

Get the hint?

Perhaps if we fully understand your need for one or two or thirty of them, we could understand why assault weapons are, indeed, a necessity. Show us the virtue of the assault rifle. Why are they good?

Some folks have good experiences with guns. Some folks are the sinue and bone of America's gun culture. Some folks are true sportsmen and women and enjoy the outdoors and their love of the hunt. Some folks are dedicated target shooters keen on hitting their mark be it paper or a clay pigeon. I fully support these wholesome and healthy activities.

But some folks have had tragic experiences with guns. Some are the survivors of gun violence. Some are the victims of gun violence. Some folks have sadly lost loved ones to gun violence. And some live in neighborhoods which tragically experience gun violence on an all too regular basis. Please have empathy for them. They have suffered too long under the threat of the havoc guns bring into their lives.

We have had far too many mass shootings in this nation. No other nation suffers this level of gun violence. We are not beset with a greater number cases of mental illness than other nations. There is something foul about the numbers of shooting victims here compared with other natione in the developed world.

Let us all understand.

I can, and want one.

-Geaux

The beauty of rights is that they do not have to be justified to anyone they just are.

Let us all understand.

And anyone hiding behind semantics is too cowardly to comment.

Like it or not, 'assault rifle' has become a generic term in popular and common parlance.

Let us all understand.

And anyone hiding behind semantics is too cowardly to comment.

Like it or not, 'assault rifle' has become a generic term in popular and common parlance.

That does not mean it is an accurate term does it?

And as I posted not only is it a stupid question but one of the defining characteristics of a right and especially of a natural right that cannot be given because it exists regardless of the government is that none of these rights have to be justified to anyone else at any time

Forum List

Back