CDZ Gun Lovers, complete this sentence

Nosmo King

Gold Member
Aug 31, 2009
Buckle of the Rust Belt
I absolutely need an assault rifle because_________.

Lay aside what you perceive as a constitutional right. Lay aside any obfuscation over the verbal semantics (don't try to define 'assault rifle').

Simply justify your need of an assault rifle.

Perhaps if we fully understand your need for one or two or thirty of them, we could understand why assault weapons are, indeed, a necessity. Show us the virtue of the assault rifle. Why are they good?

Some folks have good experiences with guns. Some folks are the sinue and bone of America's gun culture. Some folks are true sportsmen and women and enjoy the outdoors and their love of the hunt. Some folks are dedicated target shooters keen on hitting their mark be it paper or a clay pigeon. I fully support these wholesome and healthy activities.

But some folks have had tragic experiences with guns. Some are the survivors of gun violence. Some are the victims of gun violence. Some folks have sadly lost loved ones to gun violence. And some live in neighborhoods which tragically experience gun violence on an all too regular basis. Please have empathy for them. They have suffered too long under the threat of the havoc guns bring into their lives.

We have had far too many mass shootings in this nation. No other nation suffers this level of gun violence. We are not beset with a greater number cases of mental illness than other nations. There is something foul about the numbers of shooting victims here compared with other natione in the developed world.

What do you suppose is our unique American problem?

So please, as sincerely as possible, answer this simple question: 'I absolutely need an assault rifle because_____'.

Let us all understand.

assault rifle
noun
noun: assault rifle; plural noun: assault rifles
  1. a lightweight rifle developed from the sub-machine gun, which may be set to fire automatically or semi-automatically.

I don't own an assault rifle because the Federal taxes on it are outrageous.

If you don't know the difference between an 'assault rifle' and an over the counter semi-automatic rifle then you have no business giving any opinions on the subject.

Fact is, I can own my guns without having to explain to you or anyone else just why I need or want them.

As I wrote in the OP, I don't want to get bogged down in semantics. There are already threads on this board trying to arrive at a definition.

And, believe me when I say, 'assault rifle' and 'assault weapon' are phrases desperately in need of definitions.

But, in service of this particular thread, let us call an assault rifle an AR-15, an AK-47 and any other rifles commonly used by mass shooters. Rifles with the firing rate, the particular lethality of the rounds fired and the intended design purpose.

In the last assault weapons ban legislation, the debate was muddled by cosmetics. Grips, stocks and flash suppresses have no bearing on the factors that make assault rifles so very lethal.

Lay aside what you perceive as a constitutional right. Lay aside any obfuscation over the verbal semantics (don't try to define 'assault rifle').

Simply justify your need of an assault rifle.

Perhaps if we fully understand your need for one or two or thirty of them, we could understand why assault weapons are, indeed, a necessity. Show us the virtue of the assault rifle. Why are they good?

Some folks have good experiences with guns. Some folks are the sinue and bone of America's gun culture. Some folks are true sportsmen and women and enjoy the outdoors and their love of the hunt. Some folks are dedicated target shooters keen on hitting their mark be it paper or a clay pigeon. I fully support these wholesome and healthy activities.

But some folks have had tragic experiences with guns. Some are the survivors of gun violence. Some are the victims of gun violence. Some folks have sadly lost loved ones to gun violence. And some live in neighborhoods which tragically experience gun violence on an all too regular basis. Please have empathy for them. They have suffered too long under the threat of the havoc guns bring into their lives.

We have had far too many mass shootings in this nation. No other nation suffers this level of gun violence. We are not beset with a greater number cases of mental illness than other nations. There is something foul about the numbers of shooting victims here compared with other natione in the developed world.

What do you suppose is our unique American problem?

So please, as sincerely as possible, answer this simple question: 'I absolutely need an assault rifle because_____'.

Let us all understand.
Assault rifle is a misnomer. They don't exist.
However I have had plenty of training on an M16 and I'd rather have an AK47.
But I don't need an AR15
That doesn't mean I'm gonna let you pukes take it away from me, because history tells me once you take away AR15s you'll be coming for my Glock.

As I wrote in the OP, I don't want to get bogged down in semantics. There are already threads on this board trying to arrive at a definition.

And, believe me when I say, 'assault rifle' and 'assault weapon' are phrases desperately in need of definitions.

But, in service of this particular thread, let us call an assault rifle an AR-15, an AK-47 and any other rifles commonly used by mass shooters. Rifles with the firing rate, the particular lethality of the rounds fired and the intended design purpose.

In the last assault weapons ban legislation, the debate was muddled by cosmetics. Grips, stocks and flash suppresses have no bearing on the factors that make assault rifles so very lethal.

an AR-15 will not be an assault weapon, until they include a selector switch on it.

let us call an assault rifle an AR-15, an AK-47

Let's call a horse a zebra.

Zebra%20or%20Horse.jpg

Or, better yet, let's just call things what they are without the need for inflammatory language.

assault rifle
noun
noun: assault rifle; plural noun: assault rifles
  1. a lightweight rifle developed from the sub-machine gun, which may be set to fire automatically or semi-automatically.

I don't own an assault rifle because the Federal taxes on it are outrageous.

If you don't know the difference between an 'assault rifle' and an over the counter semi-automatic rifle then you have no business giving any opinions on the subject.

That is one way of stifling debate, I suppose. But it is like saying if you don't know the length of tacks used by the upholsterer, you cannot comment on the quality of the armchair. Or if you don't know the correct timing sequence for a 305 small block V-8, you should not comment on car safety.

That is one way of stifling debate

Asking a fellow, 'When did you stop beating your wife?', isn't a debate. It's a leading question. If you want to have a debate, first step is to educate yourself on the topic you wish to debate.

That is one way of stifling debate

Asking a fellow, 'When did you stop beating your wife?', isn't a debate. It's a leading question. If you want to have a debate, first step is to educate yourself on the topic you wish to debate.
Which question have I asked that you feel is a leading question? Just tell me why you need an assault rifle.

Which question have I asked that you feel is a leading question? Just tell me why you need an assault rifle

I don't own an 'assault rifle' ... I do own more than one semi-automatic rifle.
Are any of your rifles equipped with magazines containing greater than ten or more rounds?

Why do you ask? What difference does that make?

Oh .. by the way .. it's either 'greater than ten rounds' or 'more than ten rounds'. Greater than ten or more rounds is redundant.

Which question have I asked that you feel is a leading question? Just tell me why you need an assault rifle

I don't own an 'assault rifle' ... I do own more than one semi-automatic rifle.
Are any of your rifles equipped with magazines containing greater than ten or more rounds?

Why do you ask? What difference does that make?

Oh .. by the way .. it's either 'greater than ten rounds' or 'more than ten rounds'. Greater than ten or more rounds is redundant.
You must not have read the OP. And thanks for the grammar tip. It really propels substantive debate and eliminates all hinderences to understanding.

Forum List

Back