"Guided" by God

"Obama's first act as president of any consequence, in the middle of a financial meltdown, was to send taxpayers' money overseas to pay for the killing of unborn children in other countries. If a president will do that, there's almost nothing that you should be surprised at after that. We shouldn't be shocked that he does all these other insane things. A president that has lost his way that badly, that has no ability to see the image of God in these little fellow human beings, if he can't do that right, then he has no place in any station of government and we need to realize that he is an enemy of humanity."
-- Rep. Trent Franks (R-AZ), raising hate speech to a whole new level, wehateclintons.com

When people say they are "guided by God", are they all crazy? How can you tell the "real" ones from the not real?

John Glenn Gets Slugged - UPI.com

While this is indeed a fair question, it is also not one that you can get any satisfactory answer to. Everyone's experiences have a personality of it's own.

I believe God does guide us, when we are desiring to be guided. I also believe God has a plan for us, and He often leads us without letting us know that it is happening. When we have given ourselves to Him, He is free to direct our paths. We want Him to do so.

(Proverbs 3:5-6) "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not to your own understanding; Acknowledge Him in all your ways, and He will direct your paths."

(Romans 8:28) "For we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love Gos and are the called according to His purposes."

I want to be in His guiding light. I believe God has led me, both with and without my knowledge. I believe that He does indeed make all things work "together" for good to His called people.

Because He is Creator, He is actually making world events to work out according to HIs plan. He is in politics, and has men and women in places of power because of how they will drive a nation. Sometimes that person is not a believer.

For example, when He had a plan, He used Judas to accomplish part of it.

When people say they are "guided by God", are they all crazy? How can you tell the "real" ones from the not real?

While this is indeed a fair question, it is also not one that you can get any satisfactory answer to. Everyone's experiences have a personality of it's own.

I believe God does guide us, when we are desiring to be guided. I also believe God has a plan for us, and He often leads us without letting us know that it is happening. When we have given ourselves to Him, He is free to direct our paths. We want Him to do so.

(Proverbs 3:5-6) "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not to your own understanding; Acknowledge Him in all your ways, and He will direct your paths."

(Romans 8:28) "For we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love Gos and are the called according to His purposes."

I want to be in His guiding light. I believe God has led me, both with and without my knowledge. I believe that He does indeed make all things work "together" for good to His called people.

Because He is Creator, He is actually making world events to work out according to HIs plan. He is in politics, and has men and women in places of power because of how they will drive a nation. Sometimes that person is not a believer.

And what happens when People follow the advice in proverbs?

Parents of dead Wisconsin girl tried to treat diabetes with prayer

15-month-old girl died from untreated infection, authorities say

A 16-year-old boy in Oregon died of a treatable urinary tract condition after he refused medical help, believing prayer would heal his illness.

and when god speaks?

When the police of Plano, TX arrived at the house, the scene was one of unspeakable horror. Dena Schlosser, the mother, was in a state of rapturous praise while "He touched me" played in the background. She was covered in blood, as was the butcher knife. In the crib lay ten month old Margaret, her arms amputated, her life ebbing away. Mrs. Schlosser explained that God had commanded her to cut off her child's arms as an act of religious devotion. And she, ever the faithful disciple, had obliged.

Link

Mangum said he has studied the Bible for "thousands and thousands of hours" and claims that God first commanded him to kill during a "visitation," or dream, while he was in prison for an earlier conviction in 2001.

Link

It's not just the fringe that can be dangerous:

Former SBC officer says Tiller murder answer to prayer

People who believe that god can talk to them are more susceptible to inclinations which enter their heads through pyschosis. Only someone with the absolute conviction that comes with faith could hear the voice in their heads tell them to cut off their child's arms and do so or act in any of these atrocities wiht an attitude of absolute serenity.

This isn't academic, it's dangerous.

Last edited:

A 16-year-old boy in Oregon died of a treatable urinary tract condition after he refused medical help, believing prayer would heal his illness.

and when god speaks?

When the police of Plano, TX arrived at the house, the scene was one of unspeakable horror. Dena Schlosser, the mother, was in a state of rapturous praise while "He touched me" played in the background. She was covered in blood, as was the butcher knife. In the crib lay ten month old Margaret, her arms amputated, her life ebbing away. Mrs. Schlosser explained that God had commanded her to cut off her child's arms as an act of religious devotion. And she, ever the faithful disciple, had obliged.

Link

Mangum said he has studied the Bible for "thousands and thousands of hours" and claims that God first commanded him to kill during a "visitation," or dream, while he was in prison for an earlier conviction in 2001.

Link

People who believe that god can talk to them are more susceptible to inclinations which enter their heads through pyschosis. Only someone with the absolute conviction that comes with faith could hear the voice in their heads tell them to cut off their child's arms and do so or act in any of these atrocities wiht an attitude of absolute serenity.

Unfortunately there are some people who just follow emotions, or words they read. They follow the Bible because they think it is some miracle book, or because they think it will be good luck for them.

I am not approving at all what they do. If you think about it, people who are not believers, hear voices and do the same kinds of things, but they are never mentioned in the news. Some of the people you talked about are just that kind of people.

I am talking about something that you cannot understand unless you have the a relationship with the Creator, the one who has all understanding. There is a big difference in these people.

On October 25, 1989 Senator John Glenn, D-Ohio was taping a television interview following a tree-planting ceremony at the Smithsonian Institution. Suddenly, a well-dressed man walked up and punched the Senator square on the jaw. The assailant, Michael John Breen, 31, was promptly arrested after being detained by a stunned Glenn. Breen later told authorities that in recent months he had dreams revealing future events, and that he only hit Glenn to gain attention for his revelations. Among these revelations was a vision of a massive earthquake in California which the government knew about but refused to warn residents of.

Well, now we know Terral's real name...

"Obama's first act as president of any consequence, in the middle of a financial meltdown, was to send taxpayers' money overseas to pay for the killing of unborn children in other countries. If a president will do that, there's almost nothing that you should be surprised at after that. We shouldn't be shocked that he does all these other insane things. A president that has lost his way that badly, that has no ability to see the image of God in these little fellow human beings, if he can't do that right, then he has no place in any station of government and we need to realize that he is an enemy of humanity."
-- Rep. Trent Franks (R-AZ), raising hate speech to a whole new level, wehateclintons.com

:eusa_eh:

Well........according to some theologies, God placed a small piece of Himself inside of each of us so that we could all keep in contact with Him.

Ever heard that small voice inside your head that tells you something is gonna go wrong if you do one thing, but if you don't take advantage of a certain situation, you'll kick yourself later? That's God talking to us.

However.........just like I heard a priest say once.........if you hear God talking to you, go talk to another person so that you can get some perspective on the situation, as if you talk to God only, how can you be sure that you're not talking to yourself, or some demon?

Personally? I think God talks to us via what some call coincidence, but in reality, is synchronicity.

God speaks to us through the Bible, and through the Holy Spirit, which intercedes for us from within us and brings understanding of God's words.

The days of God actually speaking in words we can hear in our heads or outside it are over. I believe that angels speak to us sometimes in a manner that we can hear....but God has given us the Word and the Holy Spirit and the days where he speaks in a voice we can actually physically hear are gone.

God speaks to us through the Bible, and through the Holy Spirit, which intercedes for us from within us and brings understanding of God's words.

The days of God actually speaking in words we can hear in our heads or outside it are over. I believe that angels speak to us sometimes in a manner that we can hear....but God has given us the Word and the Holy Spirit and the days where he speaks in a voice we can actually physically hear are gone.

Wrong Babbling Bitch......either God is everything or He is nothing. Nope.......people can still hear God.

Ya just gotta clean all the Christian bullshit outta the way..........

and when god speaks?

Link

Link

Unfortunately there are some people who just follow emotions, or words they read. They follow the Bible because they think it is some miracle book, or because they think it will be good luck for them.

I am not approving at all what they do. If you think about it, people who are not believers, hear voices and do the same kinds of things, but they are never mentioned in the news. Some of the people you talked about are just that kind of people.

I am talking about something that you cannot understand unless you have the a relationship with the Creator, the one who has all understanding. There is a big difference in these people.

Yeah, I spent the larger part of my life in a "relationship" with the "creator". The truth is you can't understand because it makes no sense. There is no mystery. Perhaps there are unbelievers who commit the same acts- but they don't believe they are righteous because god is telling them to do it. They may rationalize it some other way. But the truth is that if you heard a voice telling you to kill someone and you believe in god, you have no way of knowing whether god is telling you to do it or not. Maybe a non-believer would think it was a voice in his head, and maybe most believers would realize that as well. But somewhere out there is someone whose belief in god allows them to think it really is god telling them to perform some act. We know from the bible that god does not hesitate to order human beings to kill.

And no, the prayer heals people don't just think the bible is good luck. They are following the same advice you gave when you quoted proverbs.

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not to your own understanding; Acknowledge Him in all your ways, and He will direct your paths."

They are trusting with all of their heart- even to the point of believing the bible when it says "ask and you shall receive". Jesus gave examples of faith healing people. These people just take the shit you profess more seriously than you. And the more seriously people take it, the more dangerous it becomes.

You just lack the faith that these people do- and that's a good thing. The less "faith" you have and the more "facts" you adopt the better the world will be for everyone.

Yeah, I spent the larger part of my life in a "relationship" with the "creator". The truth is you can't understand because it makes no sense. There is no mystery. Perhaps there are unbelievers who commit the same acts- but they don't believe they are righteous because god is telling them to do it. They may rationalize it some other way. But the truth is that if you heard a voice telling you to kill someone and you believe in god, you have no way of knowing whether god is telling you to do it or not. Maybe a non-believer would think it was a voice in his head, and maybe most believers would realize that as well. But somewhere out there is someone whose belief in god allows them to think it really is god telling them to perform some act. We know from the bible that god does not hesitate to order human beings to kill.

And no, the prayer heals people don't just think the bible is good luck. They are following the same advice you gave when you quoted proverbs.

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not to your own understanding; Acknowledge Him in all your ways, and He will direct your paths."

They are trusting with all of their heart- even to the point of believing the bible when it says "ask and you shall receive". Jesus gave examples of faith healing people. These people just take the shit you profess more seriously than you. And the more seriously people take it, the more dangerous it becomes.

You just lack the faith that these people do- and that's a good thing. The less "faith" you have and the more "facts" you adopt the better the world will be for everyone.[/QUOTE]

In this modern age, I personally don't believe God will tell anyone to kill another person, as did the people mentioned here.

As to having faith and allowing a person in thhe family do die rather than get medical help, I don't think that is totally a matter of faith. I think it is a matter of not counting the costs, in some cases, and not understanding the Word in other cases. Howwever, I really cannot hold their faith against them, for many of them did believe, and I would say that the faith they had included that God's will is the better way, no matter what happens. I see no problem with that. However, I suppose, as you said, my faith may not be strong enough to not get medical help. There are so many possible perspectives onm this that I don't think we can really come to a final conclusion as to what is right in each case. Some were appropriate, and some may not have been the best way to go. We need not second guess them.

But to be called upon by God to kill someone, no, that is not an option, In my opinion. Even if one really is a Christian, I believe it is an evil spirit that would lead someone to do that.

Forum List

Back