Grits

Pete7469

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 23, 2013
The Real World
Having spent most of my youth in the Buffalo NY area, I was a teen ager before I got to try real southern grits. They were great too. It was in some podunk cafe in SC along the highway. I recall the mass of butter they were floating in. Along with the flap jacks, bacon and eggs it was one of the best breakfasts I can remember.

Since then I've eaten a metric fuckton of grits all over and never would have believed someone could fuck them up. That includes having eaten them while working in the TX prison system. It seems a lot of the time the food was designed to suck, but even then the grits would be good.

One of the perks where I work is that they feed us. Yesterday they came out with grits and it had those nasty sausage links cut up and mixed in there. It was awful. I'd even say traumatic. I damn near spit it out but I forced it down and threw the bowl away. Pretty much what everyone else did.

So if you want to fuck up grits and ruin breakfast, cut up some of those nasty ass sausage links and stir them in. Just don't be surprised if you get your ass kicked.

I'm also a native New Yorker, and grits were just never a thing. I remember my grandfather making them back in the early 70's (still not sure why he did that), but I remember tasting them and thinking they were disgusting.

Fast forward 40 years, I'm living in Florida, and discover "shrimp & grits".

Sweet baby Jesus.

Different restaurants all out their own spin on the dish, of course. My favorite is at O.C. White's in St. Augustine. So damn tasty...

LOL.....Back in the 70s and 80s when I worked for VDOC and they served real food they would fix a cauldron of grits then dump the breakfast meat (real bacon or sausage) grease in there and stir it up......When they poured it into the stainless chow line pans they would plop a pound of USDA butter in there to boot.

The convicts loved them and they could have as much as they wanted. We usually alternated between grits, oatmeal, and Farina but grits was by far the most popular.

Sunday was the best, they would usually have fried ham-n-hominy and home fries. There was never any of that left.

Blah, these days when they have grits they are instant and have hardly any flavor.

I've had grits with sausage mixed in that was great. Was the sausage fucked up, or do you simply don't like sausage (links)?
I really don't care for the links. Regular ground patties are ok, I never did like the links unless they're cooked to a crisp. Mixed in the grits was awful to me. It seems like most of the rest agrees, but there are a couple people I talked to that do like it. Just sumptin fer me to bitch about I guess.

I've been here in the south since the summer of 1996 and I have never once understood grits. Until there is a bunch of sugar mixed in, the food has absolutely zero taste.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

I've been here in the south since the summer of 1996 and I have never once understood grits. Until there is a bunch of sugar mixed in, the food has absolutely zero taste.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Thats the beauty of grits.
They take on the flavor of whatever you put in em.
Kinda like tofu does,but I refuse to eat tofu,the texture is off putting.

I love grits with crumbled bacon and cheese.

Grits are the same thing as Cream of Wheat..............it's just that Cream of Wheat is milled finer.

Yep...
My Wife hates Cream of Wheat yet she loves grits.
When I told Her the same thing she stared blankly and for a moment I swear she looked like a democrat when asked what biden has done for this country.

Shrimp and grits with andouille sausage...
I love shrimp and grits; however, after paying about $20 bucks for a plate of shrimp and grits I figured out that what I really liked was how the grits was seasoned with cheese and maybe some other things. The shrimp while okay really wasn't what made the meal for me. And for 20 bucks, the portion seemed rather small to me. Grits are cheap and I can cook up a batch of cheesy grits at home for next to nothing. Mix in some bacon and it's heavenly.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Try finishing your grits with milk, Tabasco and sharp cheddar... No sugar please.

I love shrimp and grits; however, after paying about $20 bucks for a plate of shrimp and grits I figured out that what I really liked was how the grits was seasoned with cheese and maybe some other things. The shrimp while okay really wasn't what made the meal for me. And for 20 bucks, the portion seemed rather small to me. Grits are cheap and I can cook up a batch of cheesy grits at home for next to nothing. Mix in some bacon and it's heavenly.

We used to eat shrimp and grits for breakfast on uncle's shrimp boats. Simple is better with some bacon fried up on the sides

Anyone eat fried mush?

It's fried polenta, but we always called it mush.

Well...I recently discovered you can do the same with both grits and oats.

Instant pot mush -

Fried mush -

Forum List

Back