Christmas Eve dinner

Flash

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2014
Florida
Today my son and his family are coming over. Later today we will go to the 6:00 Christmas Eve service and then come come and eat and then open presents for the grandkids.

We have done this schedule for several years now. Typically I will fix a one dish meal that is mostly ready when we get home from church. In the past is has been things like chili, pot roast or a pasta casserole dish.

However, my son has informed me that he wants to fix biscuits with sausage gravy.

This is surprising to me because this is not a dish we had very often when he was growing up. It is not a traditional thing for us to eat. I maybe remember eating it once or twice at home since I was married (52 years). Other times in a restaurant when we had breakfast out.

Anybody else planning something non non traditional for one of your holiday meals?

Thanksgiving was at Grandma Moneybags' place ... the full deal ... so Christmas was always non-traditional ... steaks or fish tacos or anything we wouldn't normally eat at home ...

Chocolate waffles with blackberry syrup ...the kids still remember that Christmas ... and isn't that what we want ... a memorable dinner ...

Today my son and his family are coming over. Later today we will go to the 6:00 Christmas Eve service and then come come and eat and then open presents for the grandkids.

We have done this schedule for several years now. Typically I will fix a one dish meal that is mostly ready when we get home from church. In the past is has been things like chili, pot roast or a pasta casserole dish.

However, my son has informed me that he wants to fix biscuits with sausage gravy.

This is surprising to me because this is not a dish we had very often when he was growing up. It is not a traditional thing for us to eat. I maybe remember eating it once or twice at home since I was married (52 years). Other times in a restaurant when we had breakfast out.

Anybody else planning something non non traditional for one of your holiday meals?
Christmas eve supper will be like the night before Thanksgiving, probably Pizza Hut Pizza or other fast food, as the kitchen will be tied up cooking for tomorrow. I know when to stay out of the way and fend for myself.

PM me your shipping address ... I send out Cat Food Can Votive candles every year with cat-themed scents ... they are labeled, so if you don't want your house to smell like a salmon cannery, don't light that candle ... burn it outside for the alley cats to enjoy ...
Alleys in a forest, well I guess.

Ours is gonna be sorta sparse this year. My mom is sick and does not want to travel. My granddaughter's family has the covid.

We bought a honeybaked ham and we'll do up some country ham and green beans, baked beans, mac-n-cheese and fry-up some more oysters.

I'll take some up to mom and we will put out a box of food/presents for the grandkid to come and pick-up.

To be honest I'm looking forward to the quiet. ;)

turkey and cheese sandwich.

Granddaughter is here now, grandsons will be here Thursday.

Merry Christmas

:(

---Why Chinese Restaurants Are So Popular During The Holidays---

[snaps fingers] ... we can buy mountain lion urine commercially ... what a great idea ... that would bring in the alley cats from the forest !!! ... maybe easier than stomach acid scent ... 'cause you know cat-themed scents ...
My eight dogs would like to play with them until death do them part.

It will just be my dog and I since my dad is off but I work. I will probably order Chinese food for us.

The loneliest Holiday Season I have ever experienced. G-d bless dogs though.

LOL, I am a fan of biscuits and gravy myself. I do it the easy way though--ready in 15 min. Open a can of Libby's sausage gravy and pop a small can of Pillsbury biscuits in the oven. We are having spaghetts at my daughter's place.

Because of multiple gatherings our celebration at our house will be two weeks after. Only time we can get all the kids and grandchildren together. I always serve my famous homemade spaghetti.
My daughter looks forward to it every year.

Because of multiple gatherings our celebration at our house will be two weeks after. Only time we can get all the kids and grandchildren together. I always serve my famous homemade spaghetti.
My daughter looks forward to it every year.
Like a lot of retire people we have to deal with several different schedules.

Our two son's inlaws, the fact that they both want to establish their own Christmas traditions and the various other commitments with friends.

Like a lot of retire people we have to deal with several different schedules.

Our two son's inlaws, the fact that they both want to establish their own Christmas traditions and the various other commitments with friends.
We've become flexible after our retirements. While we were working, everyone came to our place, but now the kids have their jobs and don't need the extra stress of going from one place to another so we come to their house. The other half likes it because she doesn't have to entertain.

---Why Chinese Restaurants Are So Popular During The Holidays---

We had some flounder, a few shrimp each, casarecce pasta with sautéed grape tomato medley, garlic, and broccoli, and Aleppo pepper. Washed down with a nice Riesling from the Finger Lakes.

Forum List

Back