Greek Yogurt’s Dirty Secret

I tried some of this stuff at one of those little tasting booths in a grocery store. I thought I was going to die right there on the grocery store floor ... nastiest stuff I ever put in my mouth. I chalked it up to Feta cheese ... which my tongue cannot abide. Acid whey, huh?

Yet another reason to CLOSELY monitor these government agencies and figure out how to rein in their power or eliminate some of their powers altogether.

That's a pretty stupid remark.

Companies are going to do whatever they can get away with.

We need government to regulate them, so that they cannot do whatever they want to make a profit, regardless of the harm to the environment.

Acid whey byproduct is dangerous to the environment
By Ruth Brown, Newser Staff, Posted May 25, 2013 2:54 PM CDT

(Newser) – Greek yogurt is low in calories, high in protein, and generally delicious. What's not to like? How about this: The production of Greek yogurt creates a nasty byproduct called "acid whey." The liquid waste can't be dumped, because it would prove too toxic to the environment, ruining waterways and killing fish, reports Modern Farmer. But with the Greek yogurt market now worth $2 billion and still growing, it's a problem that's only going to get larger. New York State alone produced 66 million gallons of acid whey in 2011, reports the New York Post.

Read more @ Greek Yogurt?s Dirty Secret - Acid whey byproduct is dangerous to the environment
:eek:

no way!
whey!!!

I eat a lot of yogurt so I tried them all.
Fage. All of them. The 0% fat with cherries is surprisingly good.
YoCrunch Greek Raspberry & Acai Super Fruit & Almonds.

Google acid whey. The report is sillyness. Acid whey is also a byproduct of all hard cheese like cheddar and swiss and has been a byproduct of cheese making since there has been cheesemaking.

The "recommendation" of Professor James Mc Williams the most vocal of the acid whey scareathons says that all consumers should eliminate every aspects of animal products from their diet as the all have profound negative environmental impacts. He has an agenda.

By the way, when you open your yogurt that liquid you see is acid whey. Pigs love it. Walter Jeffries owner of Sugar Mountain pig farms has 400 pigs that clear out 2,000 to 3,000 gallons of the stuff a day. Cows also eat acid whey. It is sometimes used for fertilizer.

Is it toxic to dump into a waterway? You betcha. It's toxic to dump any food product into a waterway.
Acid whey though can be sold so every drop has a value and no one would throw money away.

Enjoy your yogurt and don't pay attention to the rabid vegans.

http://wtvr.com/2013/06/12/whey-ing-greek-yogurts-environmental-impact/

Last edited:
Yogurt is a nutritional rip off. Its just as bad for you as milk.

And, the amount of acidophiles is negligible.

Fracking IS allowed and being done in NY. I have property in upstate and you have two choices. You can agree to let the government drill on your property for nothing or you can agree to let the government drill on your property and get paid for it.

Forum List

Back