Great movies that no one remembers

What a persons opinion of Gran Torino is most likely points to their politics.
Critics made every attempt to assassinate the movie because their liberal apologist lifestyle was blasphemed. These same people who have no issues with movies that both sympathize with, and glorify criminals and the crimes they commit (American Gangster, Blow) movies that fill the screen with teenage sex scenes, and others that sexualize children as young as 10. And these folks raved about Miley Cyrus's video "Who owns my heart" as a "coming out" video to show her growing talent...yeah...she was 17 years old at the time.
But couldn't write enough negative things about Gran Torino. Just once again points to the blatant hypocrisy of Hollywood.

Sorry, but I enjoy movies for the acting and the plot. I don't intentionally look for a political message, and I really don't think most movie lovers do. Same with TV programs. People that want to politicize everything, including entertainment, must enjoy being perpetually angry.

That's me too. Because I enjoy watching movies with others, especially with those who haven't yet seen the movie, I get frustrated when they aren't interested if so-and-so is i the movie because they can't stand him or her in real life. But I forget the real life person and get lost in the whole movie package of which interesting or compelling characters are part of the whole. So I can still enjoy "The China Syndome" or "On Golden Pond" even if it does star Jane Fonda; I can enjoy "Maverick" even with a Mel Gibson in it; I can enjoy "Cadence" even with a Charlie Sheen in it; I can enjoy "The Towering Inferno" even with O.J. Simpson in it, etc. As a conservative, I can enjoy "An American President" and "Dave" even with their more liberal themes and even pull for the characters in them to succeed.

Nevertheless, the Hollywood 'establishment' will applaud or turn thumbs down on a film purely because of its sociopolitical emphasis.

I think that's a fairly recent phenomenon, though. And it's probably because of the producers/directors who have taken visible political stances outside the film arena. I agree that the actors enjoy acting, period (at least the ones I will watch regardless what the movie plot is).

Mel Gibson was terrific in "Ransom," which I saw watched just the other day.

American History X

What's Eating Gilbert Grape?
(Early talents of Johnny Depp and Leonardo DiCaprio)

I don't know that American History X fits with the thread, I thought that was a well-received movie. What's Eating Gilbert Grape though, was much more of an indie movie if I'm remembering correctly. DiCaprio did a superb job in his role.

American History X is one that has been discussed before (in the "reviews" topic), and not too many had heard of it. So I added it as a "great movie that no one remembers." (Actually, it's a movie that probably everyone should watch at least once a year because of its strong message on racism. Just my opinion.)

100% agree

Gran Torino was the best movie I have seen in the last two or three years. :cool:
Just don't ask a hmong person what they think about Grand Torino. Hooooeee! Almost got my head handed to me. Then again, I was asking their opinion because I haven't seen it yet.

1. Emperor of the North Pole (I can't say enough about that film. Again, the commentary track is a film master's class.)
2. Sullivan's Travels (incredible concept and execution. The twist turns the whole film around to something brilliant)
3. PCU (Animal House for the 90's. Made Jon Favreau and Jeremy Piven known quantities while helping revitalize George Clinton and the P-Funk All-Stars)
4. Dark City (The commentary track alone is a masters class in filmmaking with a helluva cranial screw towards the end. Alex Proyas's project after The Crow)
5. Something Wicked This Way Comes (Disney does horror! and does it pretty good... but better than that is the sense of history and nostalgia making it one of my all time faves. Johnathon Pryce is CREEPY as Mr. Darke.)
6. Millennium Actress (Anime drama like you've never seen it before. Very deep and intriguing drama with some nice twists)
7. Copycat (Best serial killer movie since Silence of the Lambs. Harry Connick Junior as a serial killer [didn't give anything away])
8. Memphis Belle (uplifting yet surprisingly good WW2 movie about the bomber's last mission)
9. The Ghost and the Darkness (Based on a true story which apparently is even wilder than the movie. Well acted, well directed, helluva good ride)
10. Thunderheart (Graham Green steals every scene but not as well as Chief Thin Elk does. Total sleeper murder mystery that will stick with you. The James Horner score is outstanding and helped him define his sound)
11. Sneakers (totally original heist film extraordinaire which puts it above the remakes of The Italian Job and Oceans 11 which are still good. James Horner/Wynton Marsalis score is one of the best)
12. The Haunting (ORIGINAL ONLY. Far scarier for low production values and tension is so much higher with great 1950's psycho thriller not so happy ending)
13. Last Man On Earth (fuck I Am Legend. See this Vincent Price low-budget Gem!)
14. Carnival of Souls (laughable in its production value, but tons of fun and goofy organ scoring plus bad acting, and whacked out ending make it a bad movie night classic)
15. Toys (A whimsical childlike romp covering a darker story about corruption and coming of age. Robin Williams first movie after Good Morning Vietnam)

oh and what the hell:

Grave of the Fireflies. (Incredibly touching then tear your heart out sad japanese anime about two orphaned boys in post-surrender Tokyo. You'll never look at B-29s the same way again)

Last edited:
Sorry, but I enjoy movies for the acting and the plot. I don't intentionally look for a political message, and I really don't think most movie lovers do. Same with TV programs. People that want to politicize everything, including entertainment, must enjoy being perpetually angry.

That's me too. Because I enjoy watching movies with others, especially with those who haven't yet seen the movie, I get frustrated when they aren't interested if so-and-so is i the movie because they can't stand him or her in real life. But I forget the real life person and get lost in the whole movie package of which interesting or compelling characters are part of the whole. So I can still enjoy "The China Syndome" or "On Golden Pond" even if it does star Jane Fonda; I can enjoy "Maverick" even with a Mel Gibson in it; I can enjoy "Cadence" even with a Charlie Sheen in it; I can enjoy "The Towering Inferno" even with O.J. Simpson in it, etc. As a conservative, I can enjoy "An American President" and "Dave" even with their more liberal themes and even pull for the characters in them to succeed.

Nevertheless, the Hollywood 'establishment' will applaud or turn thumbs down on a film purely because of its sociopolitical emphasis.

I think that's a fairly recent phenomenon, though. And it's probably because of the producers/directors who have taken visible political stances outside the film arena. I agree that the actors enjoy acting, period (at least the ones I will watch regardless what the movie plot is).

Mel Gibson was terrific in "Ransom," which I saw watched just the other day.
Yes, but he wasn't as good as Gary Sinise in that movie.

BTW, did you know that movie came from a conversation between Gibson and Ron Howard talking about what they'd do if their kids were kidnapped?

You know, I never really thought of myself as a movie buff, but I've seen just about every movie that you guys have come up with.

I saw the Blob on the big screen when I was a very little kid.

It scared the hell out of me.

The BLOB was a BO hit, though.
The original was good. Ranks up there with other alien films like Invasion of the Body Snatchers (original), War of the Worlds (original)... but actually made a pretty good remake too.

Invaders from Mars (1953) .. Freaked me out as a kid....

That and school drills on....hiding under the desk from an... ATOMIC BOMB...

:blowup:

On that note, I submit "The Iron Giant". Made back when Disney still had a stranglehold on the animated movie business, and anything not Disney was pretty much passed over.

This scene near the end makes me tear up every time:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UkZOZIO63I]YouTube - ‪Iron Giant END‬‏[/ame]
Voiced by Vin Diesel. How cool is that?

I think Cadence is a movie that fits this thread. Excellent flick that no one I know has seen. And a point of trivia : Lawrence Fishburn is listed as Larry in the credits. :)
Watch his appearance on Inside the Actor's studio on why he changed from Larry to Lawrence. He credits Roscoe Lee Brown when in a play together who refused to call him Larry. It coincided with his change in parts and skills as an actor.

Oh speaking of "Larry" Fishburne...

"Boys in the Hood" (fuck New Jack City) which got him nominated for an Oscar and the much forgotten "King of New York" where he 'created' the first 'hip hop gangsta' with Jimmy Jump.

And for Westley Snipes:

Demolition Man.... MARVELOUS!
U.S. Marshals.... far better than expected sequel to "The Fugitive".

Another of my all time favorites and one that is a blast to watch with a group--a wonderfully written and directed dramady--is Heath Ledger in "A Knight's Tale." Those who haven't grown up on medieval knights and chivalry with a little real medieval history thrown in might not appreciate it as much as I do. And it doesn't show up on many lists.

Another of my all time favorites and one that is a blast to watch with a group--a wonderfully written and directed dramady--is Heath Ledger in "A Knight's Tale." Those who haven't grown up on medieval knights and chivalry with a little real medieval history thrown in might not appreciate it as much as I do. And it doesn't show up on many lists.
You're like only the second person I've met to like that film. LOL ;)

Oh hey! Speaking of Midieval!

The Name of the Rose (Sean Connery, Christian Slater do a dark ages monastic murder mystery based on the work by Umberto Eco! Incredible!)

damn, I'm on a roll.

84 Charring Cross Road (Produced by Mel Brooks for his wife co starring Anthony Hopkins. Touching, powerful bittersweet drama where the two main characters never meet and is told almost completely through voice-over.)

Awesome film.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssgJ5ruuKH4]YouTube - ‪"Event Horizon"‬‏[/ame]

Event Horizon.

I actually met those guys and Liam Neeson all at the same party!
Liam Neeson? you lucky... :)

Michael Collins (about the former leader of the IRA)
Darkman (gave him his big break as a leading man and gave Sam Raimi a broad comic appeal after the Evil Dead movies)
Rob Roy (Yeah yeah... Braveheart, during the era of exploration in the scots highlands. Tim Roth is NASTY bad! Never underestimate the healing power of hatred!)

Oh hey! Speaking of Midieval!

The Name of the Rose (Sean Connery, Christian Slater do a dark ages monastic murder mystery based on the work by Umberto Eco! Incredible!)

damn, I'm on a roll.

84 Charring Cross Road (Produced by Mel Brooks for his wife co starring Anthony Hopkins. Touching, powerful bittersweet drama where the two main characters never meet and is told almost completely through voice-over.)

Loved The Name of the Rose..both the book and the film.

I actually met those guys and Liam Neeson all at the same party!
Liam Neeson? you lucky... :)

Michael Collins (about the former leader of the IRA)
Darkman (gave him his big break as a leading man and gave Sam Raimi a broad comic appeal after the Evil Dead movies)
Rob Roy (Yeah yeah... Braveheart, during the era of exploration in the scots highlands. Tim Roth is NASTY bad! Never underestimate the healing power of hatred!)

He's scary tall.

From Beyond? Oh damn! I about pooped myself on that one. Particularly the nasty S&M twist it took with the horrible scary creatures. YEESH! Someday I'll own it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqR-8928R3s]YouTube - ‪Knights Tale Tribute-- WE WILL ROCK YOU‬‏[/ame]

A movie I seem to watch whenever it pops up on TV...That thing you do

Forum List

Back