Great movies that no one remembers

Starship Troopers?
Scarface?
Gran Torino?

I thought this was a thread of movies no one remembers....

And FTR, Gran Torino was an average movie and Starship Troopers was a pile of dog crap which should not have been allowed to use the name of what was, in fact, a pretty good book. :eusa_whistle:

What a persons opinion of Gran Torino is most likely points to their politics.
Critics made every attempt to assassinate the movie because their liberal apologist lifestyle was blasphemed. These same people who have no issues with movies that both sympathize with, and glorify criminals and the crimes they commit (American Gangster, Blow) movies that fill the screen with teenage sex scenes, and others that sexualize children as young as 10. And these folks raved about Miley Cyrus's video "Who owns my heart" as a "coming out" video to show her growing talent...yeah...she was 17 years old at the time.
But couldn't write enough negative things about Gran Torino. Just once again points to the blatant hypocrisy of Hollywood.

Last edited:
Starship Troopers?
Scarface?
Gran Torino?

And FTR, Gran Torino was an average movie and Starship Troopers was a pile of dog crap which should not have been allowed to use the name of what was, in fact, a pretty good book. :eusa_whistle:

Critics made every attempt to assassinate the movie because their liberal apologist lifestyle was blasphemed. These same people who have no issues with movies that both sympathize with, and glorify criminals and the crimes they commit (American Gangster, Blow) movies that fill the screen with teenage sex scenes, and others that sexualize children as young as 10. And these folks raved about Miley Cyrus's video "Who owns my heart" as a "coming out" video to show her growing talent...yeah...she was 17 years old at the time.
But couldn't write enough negative things about Gran Torino. Just once again points to the blatant hypocrisy of Hollywood.

Or maybe the movie just wasn't that good, certainly not Eastwood's best, and had an absolutely horrible actor in one of the main roles. :)

The World According to Garp, I admit, I don't remember it. :lol: It's been many years since I saw it!

Probably not on many people's list of great movies, but I loved Apollo 13. I've watched that movie several times, something I rarely do. My all time favorite is The Shawshank Redemption. Of course, I wouldn't consider this one to be on anyone's forgotten list.

I rented this movie about 10 times when the Video Store manager asked me why I didn't just buy it? She ordered it for me and it was the first movie I owned of what is now a movie collection now numbering into the 100's. The Jazz Singer remains one of my favorites and most people have never seen it:

YouTube - ‪Jazz Singer (pt. 4) Neil Diamond‬‏

I don't see many movies, but I did see Jazz Singer. It was a great movie.

The Ghost and the Darkness - Trailer

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-QhwC1pLiY]YouTube - ‪The Ghost and the Darkness - Trailer‬‏[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrRUg4pvQns"]YouTube - ‪MICKEY ONE - WARREN BEATTY - 1965‬‏[/ame]

I sometimes think I might be the only person on earth who ever saw this movie.

I think I was 14 when I saw this movie and it totally blew me away.

Why this film isn't a cult classic I'll never know.

Here's Wiki's take on it:

As the first major Hollywood studio film to display an extensive influence from the New Wave in the cinematography and editing, Mickey One received a good send-off at the 1965 New York Film Festival, and Penn received a nomination for a Golden Lion at the Venice Film Festival. However, critical reaction was mixed, and distribution was spotty, with the film arriving in some areas at drive-ins rather than first-run theaters, and it quickly vanished. Nevertheless, Beatty and Penn soon teamed again for Bonnie and Clyde in 1967.
The rediscovery of the film began in 1995 with a booking at San Francisco's Castro Theater and a reevaluation by Peter Stack:
Mickey One is, in essence, a jazz film with an edgy style in which shadings and tone of voice are everything. It is laced with American idioms in its script by Alan Surgal, and most of Beatty's lines have a smart-alecky tone. When he goes on the run, Mickey meets a woman who wonders who he is (since he can't shake his show-biz patina) and he hits her with the line: "I'm the king of silent movies hiding out till the talkies blow over." In another place he verbally assaults a nightclub owner who can't figure out why Mickey's so edgy, saying, "I'm guilty of not being innocent." At the start we see pretty-boy Beatty as a hot comic in Detroit. He's got it all -- good looks, the swagger of a deft improviser -- and he's having a torrid affair with a blond siren. (The film is filled with women bursting with desire). But fortune quickly turns -- witness to a torture murder in a back room, the comic flees, hoboes his way to Chicago's West Side and takes refuge in a junkyard. There he runs into another nightmarish scene -- police investigating a murder in an automobile crusher. The cinematic invention in Mickey One has been dismissed by some critics as contrivance. But Penn may have been decades ahead of his time in depicting an urban America as gallery of paranoia, cynicism and loneliness. In a classic scene, the comic is up against a brick wall auditioning at a nightclub, a single, powerful spotlight trained on him so he can't see into the audience. Penn creates an agonizing moment of a man talking awkwardly to God while looking as if he's standing before a firing squad.[3]

Last edited:
Invaders from Mars (1953) .. Freaked me out as a kid....

That and school drills on....hiding under the desk from an... ATOMIC BOMB...

:blowup:

YES!

I SO remember that movie I can tell you exactly when and where I was when I saw it. (visiting family friends in Philly..Oct 31 1956). I was 6 years old. (Incidently I ended up eating ginger snap cookies like popcorn, too.. Can you projectile vomiting?)

The reason it was so frightening was that the first alienated people were the kid's parents.

Plus that whole getting sucked into the earth thing was SO creepy, too.

YouTube - ‪MICKEY ONE - WARREN BEATTY - 1965‬‏

I sometimes think I might be the only person on earth who ever saw this movie.

I think I was 14 when I saw this movie and it totally blew me away.

Why this film isn't a cult classic I'll never know.

Here's Wiki's take on it:

As the first major Hollywood studio film to display an extensive influence from the New Wave in the cinematography and editing, Mickey One received a good send-off at the 1965 New York Film Festival, and Penn received a nomination for a Golden Lion at the Venice Film Festival. However, critical reaction was mixed, and distribution was spotty, with the film arriving in some areas at drive-ins rather than first-run theaters, and it quickly vanished. Nevertheless, Beatty and Penn soon teamed again for Bonnie and Clyde in 1967.
The rediscovery of the film began in 1995 with a booking at San Francisco's Castro Theater and a reevaluation by Peter Stack:
Mickey One is, in essence, a jazz film with an edgy style in which shadings and tone of voice are everything. It is laced with American idioms in its script by Alan Surgal, and most of Beatty's lines have a smart-alecky tone. When he goes on the run, Mickey meets a woman who wonders who he is (since he can't shake his show-biz patina) and he hits her with the line: "I'm the king of silent movies hiding out till the talkies blow over." In another place he verbally assaults a nightclub owner who can't figure out why Mickey's so edgy, saying, "I'm guilty of not being innocent." At the start we see pretty-boy Beatty as a hot comic in Detroit. He's got it all -- good looks, the swagger of a deft improviser -- and he's having a torrid affair with a blond siren. (The film is filled with women bursting with desire). But fortune quickly turns -- witness to a torture murder in a back room, the comic flees, hoboes his way to Chicago's West Side and takes refuge in a junkyard. There he runs into another nightmarish scene -- police investigating a murder in an automobile crusher. The cinematic invention in Mickey One has been dismissed by some critics as contrivance. But Penn may have been decades ahead of his time in depicting an urban America as gallery of paranoia, cynicism and loneliness. In a classic scene, the comic is up against a brick wall auditioning at a nightclub, a single, powerful spotlight trained on him so he can't see into the audience. Penn creates an agonizing moment of a man talking awkwardly to God while looking as if he's standing before a firing squad.[3]

Interesting stuff , I may have to try and look it up

Starship Troopers?
Scarface?
Gran Torino?

This is just retarded. Gran Torino was a mind-boggling critical and commercial success praised by the typical Hollywood crowd, anybody can like it regardless of their politics. It's just a really good movie.

Gran Torino - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyway, as for "films that nobody remembers" I'm not sure if any of these apply, but they're foreign, so I'm guessing Americans either never knew them or don't remember them (but maybe I'm wrong, too), here's some real good ones:

- Yojimbo (Kurosawa, 1961)
- Ran (Kurosawa, 1985)
- Lessons of Darkness (Herzog, 1992)
- Fitzcarraldo (Herzog, 1982)
- Amarcord (Fellini, 1973)

We're No Angels (1955): uncle Andre finds the snake

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6D_CI2yNXE]YouTube - ‪We're No Angels (1955): uncle Andre finds the snake‬‏[/ame]

Starship Troopers?
Scarface?
Gran Torino?

This is just retarded. Gran Torino was a mind-boggling critical and commercial success praised by the typical Hollywood crowd, anybody can like it regardless of their politics. It's just a really good movie.

Praised by the typical Hollywood crowd? It did get some recognition at Golden Globes and it got some decent reviews by ethical experts writing reviews. But it got almost no accolades or personal interviews, etc. in most of the mainstream media. And it received how many Academy Awards nominations despite being a box office success and the best movie, hands down. of the year? Oh that's right. Zero.

Praised by the typical Hollywood crowd? It did get some recognition at Golden Globes and it got some decent reviews by ethical experts writing reviews. But it got almost no accolades or personal interviews, etc. in most of the mainstream media. And it received how many Academy Awards nominations despite being a box office success and the best movie, hands down. of the year? Oh that's right. Zero.

Sorry, I disagree. First, which year do you consider it from? It premiered late in 2008, but wasn't widely released until 2009. If it's a 2008 film, it's not even vaguely close to best hands down. 2009 had fewer good movies, so you'd have more of an argument, but even then, at best you could call it the best movie of a very mediocre class. The poor acting of Bee Vang alone makes Gran Torino not the hands down best of anything. :)

As far as reviews, I don't pay attention to them, so you may be completely right that the normal Hollywood critics didn't say much or much good about the movie. It got very good reviews from average movie-goers, however. That's not an uncommon occurrence.

As far as good movies people don't remember, how about the animated LOTR? Been a long time since I've seen it but I remember it being surprisingly good.

"The Pope of Greenwich Village" with Micky Rourke. Two small time hustlers get on the wrong side of an organized crime figure named Bed Bug Eddie. "8MM" Nicky Cage is a P.I. hired to see if the 8mm film a widow found in her husband's safe is a "snuff flick". Good stuff. "Man on Fire" with Denzel Washington set in Mexico City. A better remake than the original with Scott Glenn set in Paris. A former Military special Ops sets out to avenge the kidnapping of a little girl he was hired to protect. Washington at his best.

Good call on Rumblefish.

Joe vs. The Volcano - far better than most realize.

Bull Durham hardly gets mentioned anymore, but also a great movie.

Forum List

Back