Great movies that no one remembers

The Blob-the original with Steve McQueen~
Might have been corny and crazy, but I still enjoyed it!

You know, I never really thought of myself as a movie buff, but I've seen just about every movie that you guys have come up with.

I saw the Blob on the big screen when I was a very little kid.

It scared the hell out of me.

The BLOB was a BO hit, though.

Death Wish IV...the violence was completely over the top...like Bronson shooting a guy with a LAW at point blank range.

The Great Santini

Bombed at the box office but was one of Robert Duvals best works. The story of a boy reaching adulthood and facing racial intollerance in the south while being brutalized by a dominating father was amazing

Invaders from Mars (1953) .. Freaked me out as a kid....

That and school drills on....hiding under the desk from an... ATOMIC BOMB...

:blowup:

On that note, I submit "The Iron Giant". Made back when Disney still had a stranglehold on the animated movie business, and anything not Disney was pretty much passed over.

This scene near the end makes me tear up every time:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UkZOZIO63I]YouTube - ‪Iron Giant END‬‏[/ame]

Starship Troopers?
Scarface?
Gran Torino?

I thought this was a thread of movies no one remembers....

And FTR, Gran Torino was an average movie and Starship Troopers was a pile of dog crap which should not have been allowed to use the name of what was, in fact, a pretty good book. :eusa_whistle:

What a persons opinion of Gran Torino is most likely points to their politics.
Critics made every attempt to assassinate the movie because their liberal apologist lifestyle was blasphemed. These same people who have no issues with movies that both sympathize with, and glorify criminals and the crimes they commit (American Gangster, Blow) movies that fill the screen with teenage sex scenes, and others that sexualize children as young as 10. And these folks raved about Miley Cyrus's video "Who owns my heart" as a "coming out" video to show her growing talent...yeah...she was 17 years old at the time.
But couldn't write enough negative things about Gran Torino. Just once again points to the blatant hypocrisy of Hollywood.

Sorry, but I enjoy movies for the acting and the plot. I don't intentionally look for a political message, and I really don't think most movie lovers do. Same with TV programs. People that want to politicize everything, including entertainment, must enjoy being perpetually angry.

Cross of Iron......great story of the insanity of war, told thru the eyes of german soldiers on the eastern front, 1943, first rate cast etc.

crossofron1.jpg

Cross of Iron (1977) - IMDb

the scenes are authentic and excellent, real T-34/85's etc.

a forgotten classic....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHzoGZV_jEc&feature=related]YouTube - ‪The best of Cross of Iron (1977)‬‏[/ame]

American History X

What's Eating Gilbert Grape?
(Early talents of Johnny Depp and Leonardo DiCaprio)

Starship Troopers?
Scarface?
Gran Torino?

I thought this was a thread of movies no one remembers....

And FTR, Gran Torino was an average movie and Starship Troopers was a pile of dog crap which should not have been allowed to use the name of what was, in fact, a pretty good book. :eusa_whistle:

Critics made every attempt to assassinate the movie because their liberal apologist lifestyle was blasphemed. These same people who have no issues with movies that both sympathize with, and glorify criminals and the crimes they commit (American Gangster, Blow) movies that fill the screen with teenage sex scenes, and others that sexualize children as young as 10. And these folks raved about Miley Cyrus's video "Who owns my heart" as a "coming out" video to show her growing talent...yeah...she was 17 years old at the time.
But couldn't write enough negative things about Gran Torino. Just once again points to the blatant hypocrisy of Hollywood.

Sorry, but I enjoy movies for the acting and the plot. I don't intentionally look for a political message, and I really don't think most movie lovers do. Same with TV programs. People that want to politicize everything, including entertainment, must enjoy being perpetually angry.

That's me too. Because I enjoy watching movies with others, especially with those who haven't yet seen the movie, I get frustrated when they aren't interested if so-and-so is i the movie because they can't stand him or her in real life. But I forget the real life person and get lost in the whole movie package of which interesting or compelling characters are part of the whole. So I can still enjoy "The China Syndome" or "On Golden Pond" even if it does star Jane Fonda; I can enjoy "Maverick" even with a Mel Gibson in it; I can enjoy "Cadence" even with a Charlie Sheen in it; I can enjoy "The Towering Inferno" even with O.J. Simpson in it, etc. As a conservative, I can enjoy "An American President" and "Dave" even with their more liberal themes and even pull for the characters in them to succeed.

Nevertheless, the Hollywood 'establishment' will applaud or turn thumbs down on a film purely because of its sociopolitical emphasis.

That's me too. Because I enjoy watching movies with others, especially with those who haven't yet seen the movie, I get frustrated when they aren't interested if so-and-so is i the movie because they can't stand him or her in real life. But I forget the real life person and get lost in the whole movie package of which interesting or compelling characters are part of the whole. So I can still enjoy "The China Syndome" or "On Golden Pond" even if it does star Jane Fonda; I can enjoy "Maverick" even with a Mel Gibson in it; I can enjoy "Cadence" even with a Charlie Sheen in it; I can enjoy "The Towering Inferno" even with O.J. Simpson in it, etc. As a conservative, I can enjoy "An American President" and "Dave" even with their more liberal themes and even pull for the characters in them to succeed.

Nevertheless, the Hollywood 'establishment' will applaud or turn thumbs down on a film purely because of its sociopolitical emphasis.

I think Cadence is a movie that fits this thread. Excellent flick that no one I know has seen. And a point of trivia : Lawrence Fishburn is listed as Larry in the credits. :)

American History X

What's Eating Gilbert Grape?
(Early talents of Johnny Depp and Leonardo DiCaprio)

I don't know that American History X fits with the thread, I thought that was a well-received movie. What's Eating Gilbert Grape though, was much more of an indie movie if I'm remembering correctly. DiCaprio did a superb job in his role.

I think Cadence is a movie that fits this thread. Excellent flick that no one I know has seen. And a point of trivia : Lawrence Fishburn is listed as Larry in the credits. :)

You're probably right. Few people have heard of it. But it was a very well done film that leaves you thinking about it for a long time after you see it.

Forum List

Back