Great movies that no one remembers

A movie I seem to watch whenever it pops up on TV...That thing you do

There are some movies that you do just have to stop and watch for a bit when you stumble across them on some obscure channel.

For Mr. Foxfyre it is "Conager" and any of the "Godfather" movies.

For me it is "The Matrix" and "Tremors" and "Jaws". All of those are movies that I cannot not watch.

That's me too. Because I enjoy watching movies with others, especially with those who haven't yet seen the movie, I get frustrated when they aren't interested if so-and-so is i the movie because they can't stand him or her in real life. But I forget the real life person and get lost in the whole movie package of which interesting or compelling characters are part of the whole. So I can still enjoy "The China Syndome" or "On Golden Pond" even if it does star Jane Fonda; I can enjoy "Maverick" even with a Mel Gibson in it; I can enjoy "Cadence" even with a Charlie Sheen in it; I can enjoy "The Towering Inferno" even with O.J. Simpson in it, etc. As a conservative, I can enjoy "An American President" and "Dave" even with their more liberal themes and even pull for the characters in them to succeed.

Nevertheless, the Hollywood 'establishment' will applaud or turn thumbs down on a film purely because of its sociopolitical emphasis.

I think Cadence is a movie that fits this thread. Excellent flick that no one I know has seen. And a point of trivia : Lawrence Fishburn is listed as Larry in the credits. :)
Watch his appearance on Inside the Actor's studio on why he changed from Larry to Lawrence. He credits Roscoe Lee Brown when in a play together who refused to call him Larry. It coincided with his change in parts and skills as an actor.

Oh speaking of "Larry" Fishburne...

"Boys in the Hood" (fuck New Jack City) which got him nominated for an Oscar and the much forgotten "King of New York" where he 'created' the first 'hip hop gangsta' with Jimmy Jump.

And for Westley Snipes:

Demolition Man.... MARVELOUS!
U.S. Marshals.... far better than expected sequel to "The Fugitive".

Wesley Snipes played out of character in "One Night Stand." Now there's an example of an actor I don't much care for as a person, but his acting talent is versatile.

Ahem, a few on the softer side?

Jack - Robin Williams as a child afflicted with rapid aging syndrome, but he tries to fit in with kids anyway.

Speaking of Robin Williams in serious roles, he played a really creepy psycho in One Hour Photo.

The Changeling - True story, with Angelina Jolie as the mother whose child was kidnapped, but the law tries to pass off some other child as hers and make her believe it. (There's another movie of the same name, with George C. Scott, in the 70's, but the plot is entirely different. That one was pretty good too, though.)

A couple of tear jerkers from the late 40's:

I'll Cry Tomorrow - True story of torch singer Lillian Roth's alcoholism and descent into homelessness. (Not good in those days.)

My Foolish Heart - Susan Hayward as a pregnant woman whose AF lover gets killed in action, so she marries her high school sweetheart and pretends it's his. A common theme today, but an issue not easily dealt with in the 40's.

Okay, is "Brokeback Mountain" a Heath Ledger movie EVERYONE wants to forget? :lol:

No, not me.
What the hell is wrong with that movie??
Ok, some don't like Ledger, then fine...or is it because of the plot??
I happen to think Heath and Jake both played their characters very well.......and it really was a sad story.
A Knight's Tale was one of Ledger's earlier roles, and I liked him then!!!
I was hesitant about watching Brokeback Mountain, but then decided to watch and I'm glad I did.
The movie was made nicely.....I own the DVD, that's how much I liked it.
But it's not a movie I would want to watch over and over again.
Not because of the plot, but because it's so sad.

I have been a Bob Hope fan since I was a little girl, and while everyone (who knows anything at all about classic movies) remembers his "Road" movies, most people seem to have forgotten that he made a Christmas movie, "The Lemon Drop Kid". Funny thing is, this is the movie for which "Silver Bells" was written. Everyone knows the song, almost no one knows where it came from.

I have been a Bob Hope fan since I was a little girl, and while everyone (who knows anything at all about classic movies) remembers his "Road" movies, most people seem to have forgotten that he made a Christmas movie, "The Lemon Drop Kid". Funny thing is, this is the movie for which "Silver Bells" was written. Everyone knows the song, almost no one knows where it came from.

I remember it and his white suit very well...;)

What's the name of that pirate movie he was in! I still remember the ordering of 'a short beer' scene.

How about "The Court Jester". Danny Kaye at his prime. On par with "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" another gem.

Shining Through. A surprising WW2 spy flick. Melanie Griffith as a cook in a german household to get secret nazi plans is quite something. I think Liam Neeson is in that as well, and Michael Douglas.

I truly adore A Knight's Tale, one of Heath Ledger's better roles!

Okay, is "Brokeback Mountain" a Heath Ledger movie EVERYONE wants to forget? :lol:

No, not me.
I happen to think Heath and Jake both played their characters very well.......and it really was a sad story.
I was hesitant about watching Brokeback Mountain, but then decided to watch and I'm glad I did.

I liked it too. I just tossed it out there expecting an onslaught from the anti-gay folks who post here regularly.

No, not me.

I liked it too. I just tossed it out there expecting an onslaught from the anti-gay folks who post here regularly.

Oh shit, we might hear from them shortly now :lol:

What's the name of that pirate movie he was in! I still remember the ordering of 'a short beer' scene.

How about "The Court Jester". Danny Kaye at his prime. On par with "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" another gem.

Shining Through. A surprising WW2 spy flick. Melanie Griffith as a cook in a german household to get secret nazi plans is quite something. I think Liam Neeson is in that as well, and Michael Douglas.

I grew up with those movies. Classics!

220px-Scanners.jpg

It was really cool watching their heads explode.

Oops, this is the great movie thread.

Okay, the ultimate nobody's seen or even remembers it:

"Fool's Parade". Now before you say, 'who would have heard of it?' consider it stars Jimmy Stewart AND a very young Kurt Russell!

Never released on VHS or DVD. I only know about it because I'm a foamer and remember the hobo portions of the film and saw it on many a saturday afternoon movie in the 70's and early 80's.

If anyone... ANYONE knows where I can lay hands on a DVD copy. Please let me know.

Fools' Parade (1971) - IMDb

Forum List

Back