Government Theft of our Basic Freedoms Continues, AG Demands Bloggers Identities

Gatekeeper

Nov 11, 2009
New Jersey
Now it seems anyone who disagrees even at the state level is now going to be possibly investigated by law enforcement or other means.

Harrisburg, Pa. - The state attorney general's office has issued a subpoena threatening officials of the social networking service Twitter with arrest unless they reveal the names of two bloggers who have been critical of Attorney General Tom Corbett and his public corruption investigation.

AG Corbett Subpoenas Twitter to Name Bloggers|abc27 News

Here is another example, in my opinion, of a public official abusing the system and the citizens. No different than the Obama administration trying to influence and try censoring the media if they do not agree with his views.

WTF is happening in America? At this rate, are sites like USMB next?

Now it seems anyone who disagrees even at the state level is now going to be possibly investigated by law enforcement or other means.

Harrisburg, Pa. - The state attorney general's office has issued a subpoena threatening officials of the social networking service Twitter with arrest unless they reveal the names of two bloggers who have been critical of Attorney General Tom Corbett and his public corruption investigation.

AG Corbett Subpoenas Twitter to Name Bloggers|abc27 News

Here is another example, in my opinion, of a public official abusing the system and the citizens. No different than the Obama administration trying to influence and try censoring the media if they do not agree with his views.

WTF is happening in America? At this rate, are sites like USMB next?
Yeah, on what grounds does he have any rights to that information? There has to be more at issue than simply being critical of him. I can't imagine the courts will uphold this. If they do, then we have cause for alarm.

May 8, 2010: Julius Caesar of the Internet - WSJ.com

"Google and others who are cheering now may not like where this ends up when, say, religious right groups start demanding FCC content regulations during the next GOP Administration.

Autos, health care, energy, Wall Street and now telecom. Is there any American industry this Administration doesn't want to run?"

" A federal appeals court ruled last month that the Federal Communications Commission lacks the authority to regulate the Internet. No worries, mate. This week the Obama Administration chose to "reclassify" the Internet so it can regulate the Web anyway.
FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski did their dirty work this week by announcing that he plans to reclassify broadband lines so his agency can regulate them under rules that were written for Ma Bell in the 1930s. This means subjecting the Internet to new political supervision—from the federal government and 50 state public utility commissions. The goal is to put one more industry under Washington's political thumb.

Even Bill Clinton's FCC, under Chairman Bill Kennard, [said among other things:] ... "We recognized the unique qualities of the Internet, and do not presume that legacy regulatory frameworks are appropriately applied to it."

... All indications early this week were that the FCC wouldn't take such a drastic step. But when a Washington Post story reported that news, the liberal "consumer" lobbies went to the barricades, and Mr. Genachowski's team sequestered itself from other FCC commissioners for most of Tuesday. Late Wednesday, he broke the "reclassify" news. Perhaps they all had overnight epiphanies.
In the past five years, U.S. companies have invested $576 billion in communications equipment and structures, according to Bret Swanson of Entropy Economics. Add computers and software, and U.S. capital expenditures on information technology since 2005 have totaled $2.2 trillion. Telecom accounts for nearly half (47%) of all non-structure capital investment in the U.S.

The FCC decision adds a new element of political risk to these investments, which can only make companies more cautious. At a minimum, the FCC action will be challenged in court and introduce years of uncertainty at a time when the economy needs all the risk-taking and investment it can get. "

This is scary. I want to know what other reason besides retaliation the AG would want this information for!

Corbett, who won the Republican nomination for governor Tuesday night, told the television station that he doesn't have any problem with people criticizing him on Twitter. He refused to discuss the nature of the subpoena, however, stating that the investigation prevents him from discussing the matter.

Note: he is a Republican. I left that party because of things that I felt were violations of our civil rights and this is just one of those incidents. I don't like the Democratic Party either, but I have a problem with actions like this, because I don't trust the government to protect the two account holders civil rights in such a case.

I hope and pray that Twitter fights this and wins.

Immie

Forum List

Back