Government stops 11 year old from selling Cupcakes

If this girl or her parents had just spent about 5 seconds on Google, they could have avoided this. Or just ignore the law and bitch and moan that it shouldn't apply to 11 year olds when you get caught. Whatever.

After a quick search on Google, I found that IL has a cottage food operation law that allows for small operations out of ones home.

The Cottage Food Operation law (P.A.097-0393) became effective in Illinois on January 1, 2012. This new law allows certain foods made in home kitchens to be sold at Illinois farmers’ markets with limited regulation. The purpose of the law is to promote and support the Illinois agriculture and cottage food industries.

The products that can be made in a home kitchen and sold at a farmers’ market include:

• Certain fruit-based jams, jellies and preserves.

• Fruit butters.

• Baked goods (i.e. breads, cookies, cakes, pies, and pastries).

• Dried foods (i.e. herbs and teas).

The law does not allow these homemade products to be sold in retail stores or any location other than an Illinois farmers’ market. In addition, the products must meet specific labeling requirements and the vendor must register the cottage food operation with the local health department where the business is located.

I'd link to the law, but I don't have enough posts yet. But a quick Google search will find it for you.

Well, that settles it. The little bitch should have know better!! :cuckoo:

If this girl or her parents had just spent about 5 seconds on Google, they could have avoided this. Or just ignore the law and bitch and moan that it shouldn't apply to 11 year olds when you get caught. Whatever.

After a quick search on Google, I found that IL has a cottage food operation law that allows for small operations out of ones home.

The Cottage Food Operation law (P.A.097-0393) became effective in Illinois on January 1, 2012. This new law allows certain foods made in home kitchens to be sold at Illinois farmers’ markets with limited regulation. The purpose of the law is to promote and support the Illinois agriculture and cottage food industries.

The products that can be made in a home kitchen and sold at a farmers’ market include:

• Fruit butters.

The law does not allow these homemade products to be sold in retail stores or any location other than an Illinois farmers’ market. In addition, the products must meet specific labeling requirements and the vendor must register the cottage food operation with the local health department where the business is located.

I'd link to the law, but I don't have enough posts yet. But a quick Google search will find it for you.

Just because it's a law doesn't mean it's right.

Stupid laws have been around for a long time. Many still on the books.

This from a liberal approved source.

This "stupid" law is new, just from 2012 and was enacted so that people CAN run small food-based businesses out of their homes with out nearly as much regulation (including needing a separate kitchen). It's a good balance between no regulation at all and having burdensome regulation on small operators.

There is a legal and fairly straight forward way this girl can keep doing what she is doing, all she needs to do (with help fro her parents) is do a bit of research and leg work. If she has a dream of doing this for a living as an adult, this is a great way for her to learn how to run a business following local ordinances.

(I had to take the links from your quote out or it would not let me post a reply).

• Fruit butters.

Well, that settles it. The little bitch should have know better!! :cuckoo:

Well her parents at least should have had a clue about it. If you are going to run a business, yes you should know your local ordinances. This girl has orders for over 200 cupcakes at a time, this passed "lemonade stand" territory a while ago. Once this thing started to take off, her parents should have started to look into ways she could operate legally.

She should serve the cupcakes on a paper dish. Sell the dish for $1.00 and tell customers that the cupcake is free.

Meanwhile, nutters should relax. This story could have been written when [MENTION=45739]Jughead[/MENTION] was a kid......it has been happening for as long as I can remember. Local governments.....much like little league umpires....must make some rulings in order to feel useful.

Stop whining like bitches!

That blasted Government

In this case it was the Madison County Health Department .

This was in the DC comments. Pretty funny.

"When cupcakes are outlawed, only outlaws will have cupcakes."

Even funnier was the comment blaming Obama!!!!

shootspeados blames Obama for everything.....was that by him?.....

She should serve the cupcakes on a paper dish. Sell the dish for $1.00 and tell customers that the cupcake is free.

Meanwhile, nutters should relax. This story could have been written when [MENTION=45739]Jughead[/MENTION] was a kid......it has been happening for as long as I can remember. Local governments.....much like little league umpires....must make some rulings in order to feel useful.

Stop whining like bitches!
When I was a kid, I do not recall ever being told to shut down my lemonade stand. We would sell lemonade that our moms made for say 5 cents a glass, and earned needed money when we had already spent our allowances. Everyone was happy to help us out.

By the way, nice sig.

• Fruit butters.

Just because it's a law doesn't mean it's right.

Stupid laws have been around for a long time. Many still on the books.

This from a liberal approved source.

This "stupid" law is new, just from 2012 and was enacted so that people CAN run small food-based businesses out of their homes with out nearly as much regulation (including needing a separate kitchen). It's a good balance between no regulation at all and having burdensome regulation on small operators.

There is a legal and fairly straight forward way this girl can keep doing what she is doing, all she needs to do (with help fro her parents) is do a bit of research and leg work. If she has a dream of doing this for a living as an adult, this is a great way for her to learn how to run a business following local ordinances.

(I had to take the links from your quote out or it would not let me post a reply).

The way I look at things is if a food joint serves bad food then they will eventually go out of business. Which means basically the market will decide whether you succeed or fail. And if you poison some to the point that they die, well the lawsuit will be the ruin of your company.

No one, especially this little girl want to kill anyone and I'm certain that no one will die from eating her cupcakes. This is just another example of over regulation by the government because they think they are so much smarter than we are. They must believe we are not smart enough to understand the consequences of eating an "unregulated " cupcake.

Now I'm guessing most of the liberals don't mind having the limited intelligence insulted but those of us with higher intelligence certainly feel insulted.

That blasted Government

In this case it was the Madison County Health Department .

This was in the DC comments. Pretty funny.

"When cupcakes are outlawed, only outlaws will have cupcakes."

Even funnier was the comment blaming Obama!!!!

Madison County Health Dept is not government? What is it, a church?

Government run amok. How dare this little girl start a business!!

This kind of thing gets me fighting mad! GRRR!!!!! I had a lemonade stand when I was 10 years old. I saved the money I *earned* to buy a new Baseball Glove. I think back on those days- it was so exciting to be taking action towards achieving a goal! and that wonderful feeling of accomplishment I felt after I'd collected enough (about $20) to buy the new glove ...it honestly motivated me for the rest of my life. It motivates me today!

We should all be disgusted by this.

*Of course, the lemons and sugar were generously "donated" by my mom...:eusa_whistle:
I'm with you. As a kid, I recall many of us setting up lemonade stands on the sidewalks in our neighborhood. That was a part of being a kid. So was getting cookies from my friend's moms while playing outside. Unfortunately for the most part, that era of innocence is no more. I am not a huge fan of change, and this is just one reason why.

The government is overstepping it's boundary here, let kids be kids. If someone feels uneasy with buying the cupcakes, then don't buy them, but let those of us who want to help the kids have the option of buying the cupcakes.

If someone gets sick who's going to be sued, the government or the kid? It's a liability problem. The kid can easily get around this by giving away the cupcakes for a donation.

Forgive me if I overlooked it, but was it said how well her business did?

God bless you and the girl always!!!

Holly

P.S. I guess that things are shut down if there is no way that the government can get a piece of the pie.

Last edited:
Government run amok. How dare this little girl start a business!!

This kind of thing gets me fighting mad! GRRR!!!!! I had a lemonade stand when I was 10 years old. I saved the money I *earned* to buy a new Baseball Glove. I think back on those days- it was so exciting to be taking action towards achieving a goal! and that wonderful feeling of accomplishment I felt after I'd collected enough (about $20) to buy the new glove ...it honestly motivated me for the rest of my life. It motivates me today!

We should all be disgusted by this.

*Of course, the lemons and sugar were generously "donated" by my mom...:eusa_whistle:
I'm with you. As a kid, I recall many of us setting up lemonade stands on the sidewalks in our neighborhood. That was a part of being a kid. So was getting cookies from my friend's moms while playing outside. Unfortunately for the most part, that era of innocence is no more. I am not a huge fan of change, and this is just one reason why.

The government is overstepping it's boundary here, let kids be kids. If someone feels uneasy with buying the cupcakes, then don't buy them, but let those of us who want to help the kids have the option of buying the cupcakes.

If someone gets sick who's going to be sued, the government or the kid? It's a liability problem. The kid can easily get around this by giving away the cupcakes for a donation.
Why didn't we have this liability problem 20 years ago?

Most important thing for kids to learn young is that there is no point in working. Second most important (it's a very close second) is that they learn how to filo out welfare application forms. Especially where to put their "X".

• Fruit butters.

Fuck the law, whats wrong with you?

Let the damn kids sell cupcakes.

Why didn't we have this liability problem 20 years ago?
In my case it was more like 35-40 years ago, but nonetheless, liability was not an issue back then. I recall countless times where I used up my weekly allowance, and had to sell lemonade on the sidewalk to get some spending money. Never had any problems.

I can see both sides of this.
1. The Health Department has a repsonsibility to see to it that food sellers are selling food prepared in an environment that is healthy (i.e., clean, meeting health code guidelines, rodent and insect free). Noncompliance gets restaurants and food trucks shut down. A residential kitchen wouldn't meet the guidelines.
2. She's just a kid trying to make a buck. So, they should have just let it be.
3. A law needs to be enacted in the communities that exempts childrens little stands. With a provision that if you get sick and/or die from ingesting a cupcake purchased from some sidewalk stand, you have only yourself to blame and shouldn't be allowed to sue the city, or the family responsible for selling it to you.

What if it is a child that died from eating the cupcake?

What if that was the broadest generalization ever told? You must be joking with that question. Are you afraid that 11 year old might commit murder?

Heaven help you.

:cuckoo:

If you saw my sister in law after using my very clean looking kitchen, you would not want to eat a cupcake from it. Yes, my kitchen looks clean. But I do not cook nor prepare food in it until AFTER I disinfect EVERYTHING. Can't see it, but that raw chicken juice is everywhere. On the drawer handles, the fridge handle, the sink knobs, the stove knobs, the counters, the supposedly clean glass chopping block, the hood fan, the hood light. Everything in that kitchen is spritzed with germ killer before I can cook anything. It's a pain in the ass but I would prefer to not be poisoned due to her sloppy unhygenic ways.
So the kid made cupcakes. Good for her. But what else is cooked in there besides the cupcakes and how clean is it?

I admire the kid, but no thanks on the cupcakes and possible salmonella.

Last edited:
If you saw my sister in law after using my very clean looking kitchen, you would not want to eat a cupcake from it. Yes, my kitchen looks clean. But I do not cook nor prepare food in it until AFTER I disinfect EVERYTHING. Can't see it, but that raw chicken juice is everywhere. On the drawer handles, the fridge handle, the sink knobs, the stove knobs, the counters, the supposedly clean glass chopping block, the hood fan, the hood light. Everything in that kitchen is spritzed with germ killer before I can cook anything. It's a pain in the ass but I would prefer to not be poisoned due to her sloppy unhygenic ways.
So the kid made cupcakes. Good for her. But what else is cooked in there besides the cupcakes and how clean is it?

I admire the kid, but no thanks on the cupcakes.

There are therapists and meds for this....

I can see both sides of this.
1. The Health Department has a repsonsibility to see to it that food sellers are selling food prepared in an environment that is healthy (i.e., clean, meeting health code guidelines, rodent and insect free). Noncompliance gets restaurants and food trucks shut down. A residential kitchen wouldn't meet the guidelines.
2. She's just a kid trying to make a buck. So, they should have just let it be.
3. A law needs to be enacted in the communities that exempts childrens little stands. With a provision that if you get sick and/or die from ingesting a cupcake purchased from some sidewalk stand, you have only yourself to blame and shouldn't be allowed to sue the city, or the family responsible for selling it to you.

What if it is a child that died from eating the cupcake?

What happens if a child dies eating a cupcake from a regular resturant?

Shut down or investigated by the local health department most likely. Since all businesses are public accommodations, they should be held to the same health standards no? Why should a local government play favorites when a child happens to be involved? Should all businesses that have children helping out be void of proper health regulations?

Don't see how conservatives could blame "the Government"(implying the feds) on this one. If you like unclean food, take it up with those responsible for regulating such things, your municipal and county health departments, and try to get enough political support for eliminating health codes at the local level. See how far that goes.

I admire the kid, but no thanks on the cupcakes.

There are therapists and meds for this....

For being a pig? Maybe I should go to college in my old age and become a therapist cuz I sure would make a lot of money.:eusa_whistle:

Forum List

Back