Gov. Jerry Brown released budget

And the Repubiicans refuse to play. Democrats willing to cut services deeply, Republicans continue to hold the line against any tax increases.

Brown seeks 5-year extension of California taxes - Yahoo! News

it doesn't say they refuse to play, its says-

Republican lawmakers reacted negatively to the prospect of extending the tax increases. Most of them have signed a pledge pushed by anti-tax advocate Grover Norquist, who runs a Washington, D.C., nonprofit called Americans for Tax Reform.

further-

The pledge says they will not support any tax increases.

"Well, this is going to be a nonstarter with the Republicans, and I think the people of California, as well," said Assemblyman Jim Nielsen, vice chairman of the Assembly Budget Committee. "If that were to be taken to the ballot, I think it would be resoundingly defeated.

"It's OK to put it up as a strategic proposal, but for that to be part of the final agreement, I do not see that as a reality."

Voters rejected an extension of those taxes in May 2009 as part of a complicated series of measures placed on the ballot by the Legislature and Schwarzenegger, whose popularity was plummeting at the time.

Democrats signaled some approval for the plan, which Senate President Pro Tem Darrel Steinberg, D-Sacramento, called "complete and balanced."

:rolleyes:

I wonder , what happens after the obamacare provision hits that lowers fed. subsidies for medicaid? If we are submarining medi-cal right now?

And the Repubiicans refuse to play. Democrats willing to cut services deeply, Republicans continue to hold the line against any tax increases.

if you actually pulled your head out of your ass, you would realize it is the PEOPLE of california who reject and rejected the tax increases. they did so in 2009 and will likely do so again this summer.

it is the PEOPLE of california who must approve of the taxes, not the republicans.

Yes, RAISE taxes. I'm sure it will prove that "conservative dogma" is all hot air. :lol:

:cuckoo:

Yes, higher taxes will drive people and businesses out to a degree, and not entice new businesses from coming to Ca. It's a tightrope

in a way I'm all for more taxes in Cali, I live here in Oregon, Oregon that is quickly becoming conservative I might add. Oregon is one of the States grabbing up all the wealthy hard working people ditching the shithole california. I lived in cali for 22 years and am very happy I left.

and you folks were smart enough to vote down that referendum to create a state tax on just the "rich", because we all know who that goes....its a million, then 500k then 250k then 150 etc etc ..

This is hillarious!

In releasing his first budget plan, the newly elected Democratic governor said he wanted to end the types of acccounting gimmicks, borrowing tricks and overly optimistic revenue assumptions that characterized the recent budgets signed by former Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger.

His budget projects the deficit at $25.4 billion over the next 18 months.

To close it, Brown called for $12.5 billion in spending cuts, including reductions in welfare, social services, health care for the poor, community colleges and a combined $1 billion cut to the University of California and California State University systems.

Brown also wants the Legislature to call a special election in June to give voters an opportunity to continue increases in the income, sales and vehicle taxes for five years. The taxes were approved two years ago next month and are due to expire this year.

The taxes, along with proposed shifts in funding, would generate $12 billion in revenue if voters agree to an extension.

My GAWD he's the real deal. He is 1000 times more serious about cutting spending than the teatards are and he wants to put tax increases on the ballot for public approval.

He's a teatard's wet dream.

I must say though, that I commend Browns grit as to hitting what he did, the problem is we are already taxed up the wazoo...

People will always vote for chocolate cake. People will never vote to pay for the chocolate cake.

oh for god sakes ...........
people who have been fed cake and told its not fattening, and don't know whats in it because they don't pay for it, should not be pissed when the bakery says whoops no more cake!

Forum List

Back