Gov. Brown signs bill allowing people to break into cars to rescue animals from heat

I don't look in other people's cars, I mean if an animal is scratching at a window trying to get out, I MIGHT see it, but I would call the cops. I would never think of breaking into someone's car unless I happened to see a baby in a car seat with all the windows rolled up. No one should leave an infant or child unattended in a car to begin with.

Amen to that. It's not just the heat. Leave a kid in the car and some pervert liberal will steal the kid.

Maybe you shouldn't leave your spawn in the car then, just a thought.

This is great news for thieves. You can now break into a car and steal stuff knowing that if caught you just claim there was a dog roasting inside. Where is the dog? He ran off.

Gov. Brown signs bill allowing people to break into cars to rescue animals from heat

Gov. Jerry Brown on Saturday signed into law a measure allowing Californians to break into vehicles to rescue animals if they appear to be in danger from excessive heat

The bill by Assemblyman Marc Steinorth (R-Rancho Cucamonga), Miguel Santiago (D-Los Angeles) and others was introduced after a series of incidents in which dogs died after being left in closed cars on hot days.

"We're very excited about the lives this new law will save," Steinorth said in a statement Saturday on Facebook. "Thank you to everyone who helped us raise awareness of this serious issue and showed their support."

Under AB 797, a citizen must first call law enforcement to report a situation in which he or she believes an animal to be in peril.

But if the animal is in imminent danger, the car is locked, and law enforcement is not arriving quickly enough to save the animal’s life, the bill provides immunity from civil and criminal liability to a person causing vehicle damage for the purpose of rescuing the animal.

Hey dumshit, if you don't like it, move. ;)

Stupid law.....if the car is there the owner is.......go inside and have them paged
I second this.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. And if they don't come forward within a certain amount of time, then the authorities can enter the picture and not only save the animal, but arrest whoever left them in there to roast.....or freeze when its cold enough outside.

An unnecessary law. Who's being charged with a crime after breaking a window to rescue a pet or baby in danger? Probably not anyone anytime ever! It's called prosecutorial discretion and police use it all the time.

This is great news for thieves. You can now break into a car and steal stuff knowing that if caught you just claim there was a dog roasting inside. Where is the dog? He ran off.

Gov. Jerry Brown on Saturday signed into law a measure allowing Californians to break into vehicles to rescue animals if they appear to be in danger from excessive heat

The bill by Assemblyman Marc Steinorth (R-Rancho Cucamonga), Miguel Santiago (D-Los Angeles) and others was introduced after a series of incidents in which dogs died after being left in closed cars on hot days.

"We're very excited about the lives this new law will save," Steinorth said in a statement Saturday on Facebook. "Thank you to everyone who helped us raise awareness of this serious issue and showed their support."

Under AB 797, a citizen must first call law enforcement to report a situation in which he or she believes an animal to be in peril.

But if the animal is in imminent danger, the car is locked, and law enforcement is not arriving quickly enough to save the animal’s life, the bill provides immunity from civil and criminal liability to a person causing vehicle damage for the purpose of rescuing the animal.

I hope it happens to your car.

That would be hilarious.

If I saw a dog sweltering I'd bust the window right now. Then take the owner and lock him or her in a sweltering car until they are gasping for life.

Thats "Dumbshit" or more appropriately "Dumb shit".....just sayin.

An unnecessary law. Who's being charged with a crime after breaking a window to rescue a pet or baby in danger? Probably not anyone anytime ever! It's called prosecutorial discretion and police use it all the time.
While prosecutorial discretion would stop law enforcement, it won't stop a civil action for property damage. This law will.

Its sad people are so dumb as to lock kids or pets in cars on hot days. Unfathomable. Fine them heavily....that is my answer.

So you get to practice your profession unhindered. Good for you Gomer.

While prosecutorial discretion would stop law enforcement, it won't stop a civil action for property damage. This law will.
While I can take my kids just about anywhere, I can't always take my dog. If the weather's hot, sometimes I'll leave him with the AC running. Some self righteous jackass would break my window anyway. Fortunately I live in Idaho where we hold a low opinion of vigilanteism.

I often break car windows just in case there may be a dog inside. Better safe than sorry I say.

Ever hear of anyone arrested for rescuing an animal from a parked car?

Yeah, it another Democrat move to promote criminals.

I often break car windows just in case there may be a dog inside. Better safe than sorry I say.
Get ready for that to happen a lot. Leave a stuffed animal in your car on a hot day? Smash!!

Ever hear of anyone arrested for rescuing an animal from a parked car?

Yeah, it another Democrat move to promote criminals.
Exactly.

If you are stupid enough, or cruel enough, to leave your dog in a hot car, you can pay for the new window. Because I will smash it to save the dog. That I will not be prosecuted is great. But if I am in one of the 33 states that don't have this law, I will still take out the window.

So, you're in the city and decide that you might as well have a cup of coffee at 'Central Perk'. On the way there you notice a car, park at the curb with a dog inside ... and all of the windows rolled up tight. It angers you and you are determined to do something about it. You pick up a rock and hurl it at the car window:

SCENARIO 1.
Inside the car is the cutest little puppy you ever did see. The rock smashes the glass and fragments fly into the puppy eyes blinding him for life.

SCENARIO 2.
Inside the care is a ferocious pit bull. The rock completely destroys the window and the pit bull jumps out and mauls you so badly that one of your arms needs to be amputated.

Forum List

Back