Got illiterate kids? - Obama will give you a $700 per month per kid disability check

ShootSpeeders

Gold Member
May 13, 2012
Article is two years old but this is crazy. Liberals just throw money away to buy votes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/09/opinion/sunday/kristof-profiting-from-a-childs-illiteracy.html

dec 7 2012
HIS is what poverty sometimes looks like in America: parents here in Appalachian hill country pulling their children out of literacy classes. Moms and dads fear that if kids learn to read, they are less likely to qualify for a monthly check for having an intellectual disability.

Many people in hillside mobile homes here are poor and desperate, and a$698 monthly check per child from the Supplemental Security Income program goes a long way — and those checks continue until the child turns 18.

“The kids get taken out of the program because the parents are going to lose the check,” said Billie Oaks, who runs a literacy program here in Breathitt County, a poor part of Kentucky. “It’s heartbreaking.”

This is painful for a liberal to admit, but conservatives have a point when they suggest that America’s safety net can sometimes entangle people in a soul-crushing dependency. Our poverty programs do rescue many people, but other times they backfire.

Last edited:
  • Banned
Just another incentive for poor people to have kids when our policy should be only rich and middle-class people have kids.

Just another incentive for poor people to have kids when our policy should be only rich and middle-class people have kids.

ShootSpeeders - I thought you were for smaller govt.

Just kidding. I know you're like all other RWs. You want more and more laws. And now you say you want really invasive controls over who breeds.

• Banned

Just kidding. I know you're like all other RWs. You want more and more laws. And now you say you want really invasive controls over who breeds.

I never said i wanted laws passed banning poor people from having kids. But we do need to end the policy of basing welfare checks on how many kids you have, literate or otherwise. THINK

I never said i wanted laws passed banning poor people from having kids. But we do need to end the policy of basing welfare checks on how many kids you have, literate or otherwise. THINK

Then I think you should notify admin that someone posted this under your name.

0-hypocrisy_zps742ee11a.jpg

Children do not get food stamps, their parents do. You should not be rewarded for being uneducated, if anything you should be penalized. And then doubly penalized if you don't enroll in the programs described in the second half of the article. If these programs work as they claim they work, then people at risk should be mandated to enroll. These programs can be funded by the savings of ssi payments and monitored so that the improvements or lack thereof can be documented.

Article is two years old but this is crazy. Liberals just throw money away to buy votes.

dec 7 2012
HIS is what poverty sometimes looks like in America: parents here in Appalachian hill country pulling their children out of literacy classes. Moms and dads fear that if kids learn to read, they are less likely to qualify for a monthly check for having an intellectual disability.

Many people in hillside mobile homes here are poor and desperate, and a$698 monthly check per child from the Supplemental Security Income program goes a long way — and those checks continue until the child turns 18.

“The kids get taken out of the program because the parents are going to lose the check,” said Billie Oaks, who runs a literacy program here in Breathitt County, a poor part of Kentucky. “It’s heartbreaking.”

This is painful for a liberal to admit, but conservatives have a point when they suggest that America’s safety net can sometimes entangle people in a soul-crushing dependency. Our poverty programs do rescue many people, but other times they backfire.
Suggest that parents caring for a retarded child should be denied help and you're not likely to get much support even from the staunchest conservative.

In 2010 with the passage of Rosa’s Law, the term
“mental retardation” was removed from federal statutes and regulations and “intellectual disabilities” was inserted. The requirements for qualifying for help from the government have not changed.

The idea that taking a child out of school will qualify the child as intellectually disabled is silly. The child must be examined by a qualified professional which includes testing and interviews. It is very difficult for a child to fake retardation. To be eligible as a child with an Intellectual Disability, there must be evidence of each of the following criteria:

(1) A full-scale score of 2.0 or more standard deviations (SD) below the mean on individually administered measures of cognition; and

(2) A comprehensive adaptive skills assessment based on a body of evidence that reflects
the child’s social, linguistic and cultural background. The level of independent adaptive behavior is significantly below the culturally imposed expectations of personal and social responsibility. The body of evidence shall include results from each of the following:

a. A full-scale score of 2.0 or more SD below the mean on a standard or nationally normed assessment of adaptive behavior;
b. An interview of parents; and
c. Observations of the child’s adaptive behavior that must occur in more than one educational setting. A discrepancy must occur in two or more domains related to adaptive behavior in more than one educational setting.

(3) An Intellectual Disability as described above, prevents the child from receiving reasonable educational benefit from general education, as evidenced by the following
criteria:
a. A deficiency in academic achievement, either as indicated by scores of 2.0 or more
SD below the mean in a formal measure of language, reading, and math, or a body of evidence on informal measures when it is determined that reliable and valid assessment results are not possible due to the student’s functioning level.

http://www.cde.state.co.us/cdesped/guideliensfordeterminationeligibility_id_md

Last edited:
Children do not get food stamps, their parents do. You should not be rewarded for being uneducated, if anything you should be penalized. And then doubly penalized if you don't enroll in the programs described in the second half of the article. If these programs work as they claim they work, then people at risk should be mandated to enroll. These programs can be funded by the savings of ssi payments and monitored so that the improvements or lack thereof can be documented.
This is not about education. It's about providing help for parents caring for a retarded child (Intellectual Disability). See my post #12 above

From the link you "forgot" to include:

Yes, i did forget. So i just put the link in. Sorry i ruined your day.

Please quote where your source states Obama started this policy.

But, I won't be here to read it cuz I'm logging off.

:fu:

Where did i say obozo STARTED this policy? THINK

President Obama isn't even mentioned in the link.

Your subject title is a lie - as usual.

Well Obama believes in distribution of our WEALTH. he doesn't care how it's done

This country is done, being sold out right in front our eyes. And your Elected Representatives you put in government are the ones doing it.

Well Obama believes in distribution of our WEALTH. he doesn't care how it's done

This country is done, being sold out right in front our eyes. And your Elected Representatives you put in government are the ones doing it.

Another ignorant RW who didn't read the link.

SSDD

10149829_10203764503406922_6197919424182857091_n.jpg

Forum List

Back