Even Liberals Know The Truth

Ignoring the problem doesnt help either. Here in Los Angeles welfare is a stepping stone to gang banging and crime.

It's not just a monetary problem. It's a social one too

It's MOSTLY a social problem. This is why the left waged a culture war first. Once America was defeated in the culture war, rolling in Barack Obama, Harry Reid, and Nancy Pelosi was a simple matter.

The biggest difference between left and right is integrity - the left actively shuns both the actuality and the concept of integrity as an anachronism.

That would depend on what an agreed-to definition of "The Truth" is.

If the definition is, "The truth as I see it from my personal partisan perspective without even a hint of a sincere and reasonable examination of the opposing point of view", then I'd say you're all over the truth. And if you're satisfied with that, then more power to you. Such a definition is inadequate for me.

For the record, I agree with most of the point. But to claim some kind of ownership of The Truth as if it's the whole truth while only providing a part of the debate is intellectually dishonest at best. And that's what I've had enough of from both ends of the political spectrum.

But as an idiot (your term), perhaps my priority on intellectual honesty is a waste of time.

"For the record, I agree with most of the point."

Well, then...let's review.
You certainly got my back up when you posted a cartoon that I found disgusting, characterizing the OP as a…fecal blizzard…

In post #16 I asked you to point out the aspects of the OP that were not true.

Now, in full retreat mode, you write "For the record, I agree with most of the point."

I'll settle.

Here is some context: over the last few weeks, I've posted several several OPs documenting the vapidity of the welfare system, as well as the reasons for Obama's amplification of same.

And Kristof is supporting everything I've said....just not to the extent I've said it.

You choose to live in a high tax city within a high tax state.

If your complaint is about taxes, aren't you yourself making a choice to pay higher taxes that you yourself could remedy simply by relocating?

1. The OP is about the welfare system.
You are the poster child for A.D.D.

The commercial is over....you can go back to Duck Dynasty.

2. "You choose to live in a high tax city within a high tax state."
What makes you suggest that I don't have homes in several locales?
I'm in this one currently because the car-elevator is being put in some of the
others.

On the Right, we’ve known all along that the ‘welfare system’ is not only fraudulent in principle, but debilitating for those who participate. Now, inveterate Liberal NYTimes writere Nicholas Kristof adds his degree of exactitude.

I challenge any who read this not to feel the pain in their hearts; Progressives will not admit the truth.

The take-away is that much of the solution is what conservatives have been saying for decades.

1. “THIS is what poverty sometimes looks like in America: parents here in Appalachian hill country pulling their children out of literacy classes. Moms and dads fear that if kids learn to read, they are less likely to qualify for a monthly check for having an intellectual disability…. the Supplemental Security Income program….

a. About four decades ago, most of the children S.S.I. covered had severe physical handicaps or mental retardation that made it difficult for parents to hold jobs — about 1 percent of all poor children. But now 55 percent of the disabilities it covers are fuzzier intellectual disabilities short of mental retardation, where the diagnosis is less clear-cut. More than 1.2 million children across America — a full 8 percent of all low-income children — are now enrolled in S.S.I. as disabled, at an annual cost of more than $9 billion.

b. That is a burden on taxpayers, of course, but it can be even worse for children whose families have a huge stake in their failing in school…. condemned to a life of poverty on the dole — and that’s the outcome of a program intended to fight poverty.

c. But the bottom line is that we shouldn’t try to fight poverty with a program that sometimes perpetuates it.

2. This is painful for a liberal to admit, but conservatives have a point when they suggest that America’s safety net can sometimes entangle people in a soul-crushing dependency.

3. Some young people here don’t join the military (a traditional escape route for poor, rural Americans) because it’s easier to rely on food stamps and disability payments.

4. Antipoverty programs also discourage marriage: In a means-tested program like S.S.I., a woman raising a child may receive a bigger check if she refrains from marrying that hard-working guy she likes. Yet marriage is one of the best forces to blunt poverty. In married couple households only one child in 10 grows up in poverty, while almost half do in single-mother households.

5. ‘The greatest challenge we face as educators is how to break that dependency on government.’… a tentative lesson from the field is that while we need safety nets, the focus should be instead on creating opportunity —

6. I don’t want to suggest that America’s antipoverty programs are a total failure. On the contrary, they are making a significant difference. Nearly all homes here in the Appalachian hill country now have electricity and running water, and people aren’t starving.

7. Our political system has created a particularly robust safety net for the elderly, focused on Social Security and Medicare — because the elderly vote. This safety net has brought down the poverty rate among the elderly from about 35 percent in 1959 to under 9 percent today.

8. Of American families living in poverty today, 8 out of 10 have air-conditioning, and a majority have a washing machine and dryer. Nearly all have microwave ovens. What they don’t have is hope.

9. A growing body of careful research suggests that the most effective strategy is to work early on children and education, and to try to encourage and sustain marriage.

10. I don’t want to write anybody off, but I admit that efforts to help Ms. McCormick may end with a mixed record. But those twin boys she’s carrying? There’s time to transform their lives, and they — and millions like them — should be a national priority. They’re too small to fail.” http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/09/o...d=2&adxnnlx=1355241766-9YB8/+T5s0YnaFOVSnoFHg

I suggest that those in charge are not oblivious to the solutions suggested in Kristof's piece....so the perceptive on the Left, many of whom made the mistaken votes in the election, should ask themselves why they've been lied to.

And...perhaps....ask why this article wasn't printed prior to the election.....

Gee, Sounds familiar doesn't it?

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/227696-even-obama-knows-the-end-is-near.html#post5415612

Obama won.

America lost.

I realize that, in your binary political world, folks are either "conservative" or "liberal".

Crazy enough, some of us belong to neither ideological group. My best guess is that most of us don't, for that matter. Go figure, huh?

Since I clearly need to explain, here we go: It has been my experience that partisan ideologues on both ends of the spectrum have managed to convince themselves that they have a vice-like grip on The Truth.

So, when I see a partisan ideologue making such a claim, I snicker a bit and think:

shit-storm.gif

That's all. You don't have to take it so personally.

Psst... Mac?

You're a partisan leftwinger. You're nowhere near the center, dude.

Wow, I'm honored that someone has followed my posts enough to know where I stand on the issues. Tell me, where do I stand on:
  • Identity politics
  • Obamacare
  • Political Correctness
  • Business
  • Regulation
  • Public sector unions
  • Dodd Frank
  • The size, scope, depth and breadth of government
Since you claim to know, I wonder how you would consider me a partisan leftwinger.

Go ahead, let me have it, looking forward to it.

So let's get rid of all social welfare programs. That will fix everything, right?

Ignoring the problem doesnt help either. Here in Los Angeles welfare is a stepping stone to gang banging and crime.

It's not just a monetary problem. It's a social one too

Frankly, I don't give much of a shit anymore. Yes, welfare is abused. BUT, American jobs pay shit. There is still NO national healthcare system. Most Americans, even those that work, remain debt slaves. There is nearly no opportunity for a child born in poverty to leave that economic group.

This American economic system sucks now more than ever. It's not worth saving or supporting, unless you're one of the few wealthy sociopaths that benefit from it.

"Perhaps the greatest distortions of statistics involve comparisons between "the rich" and "the poor" -- who are mostly the same people at different stages of their lives. Most of those who were in the bottom 20 percent in 1975 were also in the top 20 percent at some point over the next 17 years. That too is not a "politically correct" message, so you seldom hear it."
Lying Statistics - Thomas Sowell - [page]

…work hard to free up the congealed gears of your mind…

I realize that, in your binary political world, folks are either "conservative" or "liberal".

Crazy enough, some of us belong to neither ideological group. My best guess is that most of us don't, for that matter. Go figure, huh?

Since I clearly need to explain, here we go: It has been my experience that partisan ideologues on both ends of the spectrum have managed to convince themselves that they have a vice-like grip on The Truth.

So, when I see a partisan ideologue making such a claim, I snicker a bit and think:

shit-storm.gif

That's all. You don't have to take it so personally.

Psst... Mac?

Wow, I'm honored that someone has followed my posts enough to know where I stand on the issues. Tell me, where do I stand on:
  • Identity politics
  • Obamacare
  • Political Correctness
  • Business
  • Regulation
  • Public sector unions
  • Dodd Frank
Since you claim to know, I wonder how you would consider me a partisan leftwinger.

Don't you think that the cartoon that you selected to give your analysis of Kristof's revealing piece, pretty much gives your political location?

Or...did you simply make a mistake in choosing same?

• Identity politics
  • Obamacare
  • Political Correctness
  • Business
  • Regulation
  • Public sector unions
  • Dodd Frank

Mac, your M.O. is to toss snarky spitwads at conservatives while claiming neutrality.

Pulling out posts of yours to address each of these points is more work than I'm willing to do right now.

Once you've made the poor poorer,

when do the good things start to happen?

The easiest way to keep the poor down would be to cut the ladder of success off at an arbitrary point, say $250,000 for a family, so that they could rise no further?

Gee, who would do such a thing?

What in the name of the blessed baby Jesus is that collection of words supposed to mean?

Were you homeschooled by any chance?

"For the record, I agree with most of the point."

Well, then...let's review.
You certainly got my back up when you posted a cartoon that I found disgusting, characterizing the OP as a…fecal blizzard…

In post #16 I asked you to point out the aspects of the OP that were not true.

Now, in full retreat mode, you write "For the record, I agree with most of the point."

I'll settle.

Here is some context: over the last few weeks, I've posted several several OPs documenting the vapidity of the welfare system, as well as the reasons for Obama's amplification of same.

And Kristof is supporting everything I've said....just not to the extent I've said it.

If your complaint is about taxes, aren't you yourself making a choice to pay higher taxes that you yourself could remedy simply by relocating?

others.

You make a conscious free choice to live in a high tax city in a high tax state.

You have a problem with taxes, but will do nothing to improve your own situation.

These people that Kristof found for his anecdotal evidence?

Were they white, rural, and from a very conservative state? Are you kidding me? I thought no such people existed?

others.

You make a conscious free choice to live in a high tax city in a high tax state.

You have a problem with taxes, but will do nothing to improve your own situation.

Antipoverty programs.

Welfare.

Liberalism.

Now, if you insist that this thread is about taxes, I'll play: a vote for Obama was a vote for higher taxes.

Did you vote for higher taxes as well as welfare and oppression?

others.

Antipoverty programs.

Welfare.

Liberalism.

Now, if you insist that this thread is about taxes, I'll play: a vote for Obama was a vote for higher taxes.

How much and in what category have your taxes gone up since Obama was elected?

Be specific.

I'm thinking that a fix for you would be along the lines of what is meant when one refers to a canine as having been 'fixed.'

Let's see if logic is of aid here:

a. Only Liberals Know The Truth

b. Nicholas Kristof is a well known Liberal

c. Therefore his piece, i.e., the OP, must be true.

Thanks so much for your endorsement.

Here is an endorsement.

If Political Chic was not so boring, she might be amusing.

So....you find yourself regularly drawn to the boring?

Once again....the dunce is 'Hoist with his own petard.'

Once again, only armed with a bag of stupid insults. Give it up, you embarrass yourself, or you would if you had any cop on.

What in the name of the blessed baby Jesus is that collection of words supposed to mean?

It means sparky, that the one keeping people down is the one who is putting a cap on the allowable success of entrepreneurs - your little tin god, Barack Obama, who seeks to cut off the ladder of success at $250,000 a year for a family, by imposing stiff taxation above that level. Basically pulling up the ladder behind him to ensure no one else achieves the level that his cronies and he enjoy.

Undergrad from a state college, masters from a private university.

Where did you earn your 4th grade education?

Here is an endorsement.

If Political Chic was not so boring, she might be amusing.

So....you find yourself regularly drawn to the boring?

Once again....the dunce is 'Hoist with his own petard.'

Once again, only armed with a bag of stupid insults. Give it up, you embarrass yourself, or you would if you had any cop on.

Dunce is not a 'stupid insult'!!!

It is an accurate description!!

What would you call someone whose own words are used to hold him up to ridicule?
See what I mean?

I don’t want to say you’re stupid…..let’s just say you’ve got bad luck when it comes to thinking.

It means sparky, that the one keeping people down is the one who is putting a cap on the allowable success of entrepreneurs - your little tin god, Barack Obama, who seeks to cut off the ladder of success at $250,000 a year for a family, by imposing stiff taxation above that level. Basically pulling up the ladder behind him to ensure no one else achieves the level that his cronies and he enjoy.

Undergrad from a state college, masters from a private university.

Where did you earn your 4th grade education?

(Psst....rumor is it was Sesame Street.)

Antipoverty programs.

Welfare.

Liberalism.

How much and in what category have your taxes gone up since Obama was elected?

Be specific.

Taxes hidden in ObamaCare, more than half of which affect families earning less than $250,000 a year:

The new taxes, which cost some $675 billion over the next decade, include:

• A 2.3% excise tax on U.S. sales of medical devices that's already devastating the medical supply industry and its workforce. The levy is a $20 billion blow to an industry that employs roughly 400,000.
Several major manufacturers have been roiled, including: Michigan-based Stryker Corp., which blames the tax for 1,000 layoffs; Indiana-based Zimmer Corp., which cites the tax in laying off 450 and taking a $50 million charge against earnings; Indiana-based Cook Medical Inc., which has scrubbed plans to open a U.S. factory; Minnesota-based Medtronic Inc., which expects an annual charge against earnings of $175 million, and Boston Scientific Corp., which has opted to open plants in tax-friendlier Ireland and China to help offset a $100 million charge against earnings.
Subscribe to the IBD Editorials Podcast
• A 3.8% surtax on investment income from capital gains and dividends that applies to single filers earning more than $200,000 and married couples filing jointly earning more than $250,000.
• A $50,000 excise tax on charitable hospitals that fail to meet new "community health assessment needs," "financial assistance" and other rules set by the Health and Human Services Dept.
• A $24 billion tax on the paper industry to control a pollutant known as black liquor.
• A $2.3 billion-a-year tax on drug companies.
• A 10% excise tax on indoor tanning salons.
• An $87 billion hike in Medicare payroll taxes for employees, as well as the self-employed.
• A hike in the threshold for writing off medical expenses to 10% of adjusted gross income from 7.5%.
• A new cap on flexible spending accounts of $2,500 a year.
• Elimination of the tax deduction for employer-provided prescription drug coverage for Medicare recipients.
• An income surtax of 1% of adjusted gross income, rising to 2.5% by 2016, on individuals who refuse to go along with ObamaCare by buying a policy not OK'd by the government.
• A $2,000 tax charged to employers with 50 or more workers for every full-time worker not offered health coverage.
• A $60 billion tax on health insurers.
• A 40% excise tax on so-called Cadillac, or higher cost, health insurance plans.
All told, there are 21 new or higher taxes imposed by Obama's health care law — and 21 more reasons to repeal it.

Read More At IBD: ObamaCare's 21 New Taxes Are 21 More Reasons To Repeal The Onerous Law - Investors.com

Psst... Mac?

• Identity politics
  • Obamacare
  • Political Correctness
  • Business
  • Regulation
  • Public sector unions
  • Dodd Frank

Don't you think that the cartoon that you selected to give your analysis of Kristof's revealing piece, pretty much gives your political location?

Or...did you simply make a mistake in choosing same?

It's quite consistent, I use that little cartoon whenever someone from either end of the spectrum pretends to have a vice-like grip on The Truth. And both ends do it. Simple as that.

• Identity politics
  • Obamacare
  • Political Correctness
  • Business
  • Regulation
  • Public sector unions
  • Dodd Frank

Mac, your M.O. is to toss snarky spitwads at conservatives while claiming neutrality.

Pulling out posts of yours to address each of these points is more work than I'm willing to do right now.

Well then, I'll be happy to help. I disagree with the Left on all of those issues, rendering your guess moot.

And "snarky spitwads"? I'd guess I offer as many solid, independent ideas as anyone on this board. I suspect you'd admit that if you agreed with more of them.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back