GOP sympathy for victims, Dems call for gun control

It will take someone famous getting shot to actually have some sort of change take place. Even then I'd still say the odds are low. We're way too selfish of a nation to do anything about it.

And seriously, you think background checks would have prevented the shooting? You know, like they stopped the shooting in Paris with the laws you're whining for right now?

I have to wait 3-6 months in NYC just to get a pistol permit for my own house. THAT is what you want for the rest of the country, and if that is the case, go fuck yourself.
Well you better get on it. I'm sure you're not the type to have a gun without the permit.

And THAT is the crux of the problem. I am law abiding, and would follow the law. Meanwhile any criminal idiot can have a gun in about 4-6 hours if he really wanted one.

How does making me take 3-6 months stop crime?
It might provide a cooling off period if you were buying a gun to settle a vendetta or something. The problem is that there's no consistency in gun laws across the country so if you were of a mind to do it, you could go to another state and buy one.

3-6 months isn't a "cooling off period". It's infringement meant to make the process as difficult as possible so as few people as possible try to apply.

And what if I needed a gun for protection? Will the NYPD give me 24/7 security while they wait for my application to be processed?

And that is ALSO THE CRUX OF THE ISSUE. If I really really wanted a gun, I could get it, even if you made the laws the same across all the states. all NYC's law does is make my life difficult for no reason other than "we don't want you to have a gun"

But notice the NYPD can off duty carry, and retired PO's get a CCW permit almost automatically,.

Why do they get rights I don't. They should be forced to place their guns in an armory after a shift, and fend like the rest of us.
NYPD officers are under a lot of scrutiny for a long period of time. They've been vetted. Ordinary citizens haven't.

I can remember a time when New York was a crime infested cesspool where few decent people would want to live. However, crime rates have been going down for a good long time now. I think they must be doing SOMETHING right.

Oh rly?

2012 Empire State Building shooting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[Nine bystanders were wounded by stray bullets fired by the officers and ricocheting debris, but none suffered life-threatening injuries.[4]/QUOTE]

http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/doi/10.1176/appi.ajp.163.1.151

Exposure to trauma is inherent in police work. It has been reported that about one-third of police officers exposed to various work-related traumatic incidents develop significant posttraumatic stress symptoms (1). Alcohol use is an acceptable, common, sometimes encouraged, legal way of relieving stress in police culture. A survey (2) found that 20% of police officers met criteria for alcohol abuse. Police work may be complicated by marital and family problems. Officers and their partners consistently find the job itself to be a source of relationship difficulties (3, 4). Posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and alcohol abuse may lead to excessive aggression. Police families have been found to experience higher rates of domestic violence than the civilian population (5). All of these factors may contribute to the high rate of police suicide. The consensus is that the police suicide rate is about 1.5 times higher than the rate of suicide in the general population

Well you better get on it. I'm sure you're not the type to have a gun without the permit.

And THAT is the crux of the problem. I am law abiding, and would follow the law. Meanwhile any criminal idiot can have a gun in about 4-6 hours if he really wanted one.

It might provide a cooling off period if you were buying a gun to settle a vendetta or something. The problem is that there's no consistency in gun laws across the country so if you were of a mind to do it, you could go to another state and buy one.

3-6 months isn't a "cooling off period". It's infringement meant to make the process as difficult as possible so as few people as possible try to apply.

And what if I needed a gun for protection? Will the NYPD give me 24/7 security while they wait for my application to be processed?

And that is ALSO THE CRUX OF THE ISSUE. If I really really wanted a gun, I could get it, even if you made the laws the same across all the states. all NYC's law does is make my life difficult for no reason other than "we don't want you to have a gun"

But notice the NYPD can off duty carry, and retired PO's get a CCW permit almost automatically,.

Why do they get rights I don't. They should be forced to place their guns in an armory after a shift, and fend like the rest of us.
NYPD officers are under a lot of scrutiny for a long period of time. They've been vetted. Ordinary citizens haven't.

I can remember a time when New York was a crime infested cesspool where few decent people would want to live. However, crime rates have been going down for a good long time now. I think they must be doing SOMETHING right.

Oh rly?

[Nine bystanders were wounded by stray bullets fired by the officers and ricocheting debris, but none suffered life-threatening injuries.[4]/QUOTE]

Exposure to trauma is inherent in police work. It has been reported that about one-third of police officers exposed to various work-related traumatic incidents develop significant posttraumatic stress symptoms (1). Alcohol use is an acceptable, common, sometimes encouraged, legal way of relieving stress in police culture. A survey (2) found that 20% of police officers met criteria for alcohol abuse. Police work may be complicated by marital and family problems. Officers and their partners consistently find the job itself to be a source of relationship difficulties (3, 4). Posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and alcohol abuse may lead to excessive aggression. Police families have been found to experience higher rates of domestic violence than the civilian population (5). All of these factors may contribute to the high rate of police suicide. The consensus is that the police suicide rate is about 1.5 times higher than the rate of suicide in the general population
You realize there's a statistical component to all of this, right? We have so many fucking guns (and gun nuts) in this country that it's much more likely that incidents like this will happen here than in countries with fewer guns. Of course, that answer in the gun nuts mind will be that EVERYBODY should be armed. The answer to anybody who understands statistical probability is to reduce the number of guns available.

Oh rly?

You realize there's a statistical component to all of this, right? We have so many fucking guns (and gun nuts) in this country that it's much more likely that incidents like this will happen here than in countries with fewer guns. Of course, that answer in the gun nuts mind will be that EVERYBODY should be armed. The answer to anybody who understands statistical probability is to reduce the number of guns available.

Your point was NYPD officers have been "vetted", and yet they have higher rates of alcohol abuse, suicide, and domestic abuse than the regular population. I have countered that point, and the best response you have is to mutter "statistics" and go on a new tangent about how many guns are out there.

Again, why should a police officer, retired or active, have the right to easily get a gun to defend his home, and I have to wait 3-6 months and hope for permission? Why does he/she have more rights than I do?

Oh rly?

Your point was NYPD officers have been "vetted", and yet they have higher rates of alcohol abuse, suicide, and domestic abuse than the regular population. I have countered that point, and the best response you have is to mutter "statistics" and go on a new tangent about how many guns are out there.

Again, why should a police officer, retired or active, have the right to easily get a gun to defend his home, and I have to wait 3-6 months and hope for permission? Why does he/she have more rights than I do?
The Empire State shooting was perpetrated by a clothing designer. How does that counter the point that police have been vetted and therefore have earned the right to carry guns?

Oh rly?

The Empire State shooting was perpetrated by a clothing designer. How does that counter the point that police have been vetted and therefore have earned the right to carry guns?

because all the bystanders were hit by either ricochets or shots FIRED BY THE OFFICERS, you know the ones trained and vetted and all that crap.

and you don't "earn" the right to carry a gun, as per the 2nd amendment, I HAVE the right.

Republican response to massacres.......

Let's ask God to do something about it

Oh rly?

because all the bystanders were hit by either ricochets or shots FIRED BY THE OFFICERS, you know the ones trained and vetted and all that crap.

and you don't "earn" the right to carry a gun, as per the 2nd amendment, I HAVE the right.
Oh, didn't realize that I was talking to a Constitutional scholar. :rolleyes:

I'm a little surprised that you're being so hard on the guys who were using guns to try to take down the perp in this case. Isn't that what you think guns are for? Are you a better shot than the cops?

I'm a little surprised that you're being so hard on the guys who were using guns to try to take down the perp in this case. Isn't that what you think guns are for? Are you a better shot than the cops?

You are the one saying they should have rights I don't just because they work for the government. You are the one that said they are vetted, and somehow "better" at being gun owners. I just provided data showing that your assumptions are incorrect. So why should they get special treatment and I shouldn't? I have no arrests or convictions, no history of mental illness, and the worst I have gotten is a speeding ticket (2 in 15 years).

Yet they get a pass from having to go through 6 months of paper work, and yet they are a higher risk to harm themselves and/or their families.

Why does that make sense?

when they step on our second amendment rights and confiscate our guns. that when we call for banning abortions too. no more killings from ANYONE from anywhere in this country. Mass shootings can't compare to the death from abortion

You are the one saying they should have rights I don't just because they work for the government. You are the one that said they are vetted, and somehow "better" at being gun owners. I just provided data showing that your assumptions are incorrect. So why should they get special treatment and I shouldn't? I have no arrests or convictions, no history of mental illness, and the worst I have gotten is a speeding ticket (2 in 15 years).

Yet they get a pass from having to go through 6 months of paper work, and yet they are a higher risk to harm themselves and/or their families.

Police carry guns everyday of their professional lives. They also spend a lot of time at a shooting range. That makes them special in this particular respect. I don't understand why you find this such a difficult concept to accept.

In the state where I live, if you have no traffic tickets, you don't have to be tested for 10 years for a driver's license renewal. This is a similar concept.

Police carry guns everyday of their professional lives. They also spend a lot of time at a shooting range. That makes them special in this particular respect. I don't understand why you find this such a difficult concept to accept.

In the state where I live, if you have no traffic tickets, you don't have to be tested for 10 years for a driver's license renewal. This is a similar concept.

Really? What is the minimum required time at a range, and how many go there more than the minimum. I have a feeling your average CCW holder shoots at a range far more than your average cop.

There are no "special" citizens in this country. You seek to go back to feudal concepts, where only an elite few, mandated by the government have the right to use force, and have the means to apply it. We don't have a knightly class, but evidently that's what you want to go back to.

Really? What is the minimum required time at a range, and how many go there more than the minimum. I have a feeling your average CCW holder shoots at a range far more than your average cop.

There are no "special" citizens in this country. You seek to go back to feudal concepts, where only an elite few, mandated by the government have the right to use force, and have the means to apply it. We don't have a knightly class, but evidently that's what you want to go back to.
I'd sure as hell choose to be protected by a professional law enforcement agent than some guy off the street who thinks he is equipped to handle any situation because he likes guns.

This kind of snark by the left in lew of their Democrat party should come back and bite them in the 2016 elections.

take a look
VDqd9a6x_bigger.jpeg
Markos Moulitsas

@markos

How many dead people did those thoughts and prayers bring back to the life? https://twitter.com/Reince/status/672171963750744064 …
^^^this the guy from moveon.org or the dailykos

snip: and many more at the site

A creative response to these criticisms of Republicans and their prayers was done by Sean Davis, co-founder of The Federalist and former assistant to Senator Tom Coburn (R-OK).

He found tweets from Democrat leaders sent during previous attacks and tragedies and simply re-tweeted them. Obviously, no mention of these prayer messages was made in any of the smug articles.

7zazvpo8e6kof69twjte_bigger.png
New York Daily News

@NYDailyNews

'You’re in our thoughts and prayers:' Obama responds to Newtown teachers' note on classroom whiteboard http://nydn.us/U5bz6e

5:55 PM - 17 Dec 2012

New York Daily News
Obama responds to Newtown teachers' note with one of his own
Two Newtown High School teachers got some surprise words of comfort from President Obama after leaving a message for him in one of their classrooms.

wnSl3yXF_bigger.jpeg
Nancy Pelosi

nancypelosi

Thoughts and prayers are with the people of Boston and the first responders helping the victims of this terrible tragedy. #PrayforBoston

2:48 PM - 15 Apr 2013

all of it here:
Republicans Tweeted Prayers for San Bernardino Victims. The Vile Responses Came Flying...

Last edited:

I'd sure as hell choose to be protected by a professional law enforcement agent than some guy off the street who thinks he is equipped to handle any situation because he likes guns.

Your lack of faith in your fellow citizens is noted. Evidently only the government and those in its employ are to be trusted.

And again, that police officer is under no obligation to save your ass from anyone.

GOP sympathy for victims, Dems call for gun control

Republicans expressed sympathy for the victims, while Democrats immediately began calling for more gun control in a state that already has some of the nation’s strictest restrictions on Second Amendment rights, with President Obama leading the charge.

Read more at GOP sympathy for victims, Dems call for gun control

why more laws the ones you have now ain't worth a shit when it comes to terrorists, they doNOT walk into a gun shop and buy a full auto AK-47, they are supplied with one after they cross the border, you doom-O-rats and liberfools', presidunce has pulled our B.P. away from certain areas/sectors from Texas to Baja. name or make a law that will be so fearsome it will stop a terrorist dead in his/her tracks.., i have one, a bullet(s) thru their head!! :up:
It's a ruse. Republicans screw over babies and veterans. No one believes they feel sympathy for anyone.

Your lack of faith in your fellow citizens is noted. Evidently only the government and those in its employ are to be trusted.

And again, that police officer is under no obligation to save your ass from anyone.
Government is put into office by fellow citizens. How can you not know that? The reason it screws over so many is because Republicans show up at midterms to vote.

Government is put into office by fellow citizens. How can you not know that? The reason it screws over so many is because Republicans show up at midterms to vote.

Nice drive-by stupid-post, Rdweeb.

Politicians are put into office by citizens, government has become a giant unaccountable blob, due to statist politicians.

Oh rly?

PsychiatryOnline

Wow, so you think it's actually the guns that are evil and go on the shooting rampages. LOL, you're a tool in a belt on a Democrat.

how's your strategy of preventing anyone from defending themselves from the nuts working out for you? Nice body counts you're getting, well done

Forum List

Back