GOP seeks austerity

[A day after voters in France and Greece toppled governments in a European backlash against austerity measures, Republicans moved forward with legislation to replace $78 billion in automatic spending cuts to defense and discretionary domestic spending with a much larger $261 billion cut focused only on domestic spending.

Right out of the script I laid out awhile back. The Republicans don't want shared sacrifice; they want partisan sacrifice.

Their 'austerity' plan exempts their benefactors, ie., the Rich, the defense lobby, the oil lobby, etc.,

from making sacrifices. The sacrifices and belt tightening fall on Democratic constituencies.

well then you democrats gotta stop sucking the teat dry and put some milk money in the pot..

What he means is that some parasites will be removed from the government tit - and he thinks that is supposed to scare people away from the Republican budget!

To democrats we don't need a defense department. We don't need to defend ourselves.

Problem is, Europe has not been cutting spending. Mercatus Center Senior Fellow Veronique de Rugy has crunched the numbers and found that among some of Europe’s worst economies (Spain, the United Kingdom, France, Greece, and Italy) government spending cuts have wither been tiny or non-existent. Greece and Spain did cut slightly in 2009 through 2011, but both countries are still spending more today than they were in 2008. Italy did reduce spending in 2009 and 2010, but increased spending in 2011. Meanwhile France and the United Kingdom have yet to cut spending at all.

Veronique adds:

The most important point to keep in mind is that whenever cuts took place, they were always overwhelmed by large counterproductive tax increases. Unfortunately, that point is often overlooked. This approach to austerity — some spending cuts with large tax increases — is what President Obama has called the “balanced approach.”

Washington Examiner | The Weekly Standard

No response TM? :eusa_whistle:

TM, here boy.....:eusa_whistle:

This is so simple Dimocrats can't possibly get it right.

You're in debt, lots of debt. You got that way by spending more than you earn year in and year out and borrowing in order to pay some of that debt or create more.

So, the very first baby step on the long road to fixing this huge mess is:

A) Cut back your spending.

B) Continue your spending rate as it's been for quite some time.

C) None of the above.

It's not paper airplane science.

Can you read? The Republicans want to put the defense spending back IN the budget.

Yep. I read and comprehend rather well. You should attempt it some time. Also, I'm a whiz at basic math.

Here's what I read:

"...Republicans moved forward with legislation to replace $78 billion in automatic spending cuts to defense and discretionary domestic spending with a much larger $261 billion cut..."

Yes, the Republicans put the $78 billion of spending cuts back INTO the budget. But, they then TOOK OUT "a much larger $261billion." Here's the math. +$78 billion, -$261billion = $183 billion more in cuts than had they just left it at $78 billion.

Here's more of what I read:

"The approval of the deep spending cuts by the House Budget Committee in a 21-9 vote...(emphasis added)

Here is the Austerity I'm looking for...

Start the budget processes at projected revenues.

That's what we have to work with, triage, compromise, spend it wisely.

No more deficits.

Pay down the debt.

If we have to raise taxes to do that, so be it...but those tax increases CANNOT go into general revenue...they can ONLY be used to pay down the principle debt.

When we get down to a reasonable debt level, sunset those taxes.

Here is the Austerity I'm looking for...

Start the budget processes at projected revenues.

That's what we have to work with, triage, compromise, spend it wisely.

No more deficits.

Pay down the debt.

If we have to raise taxes to do that, so be it...but those tax increases CANNOT go into general revenue...they can ONLY be used to pay down the principle debt.

When we get down to a reasonable debt level, sunset those taxes.

That sounds reasonable but you know that democrats will call you names such as "estremist" "killer of babies and old women" "anti American.""

Welfare - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Germany

Main article: Hartz_concept#Hartz_IV

The Welfare state has a long tradition in Germany dating back to the industrial revolution. Due to the pressure of the workers' movement in the late 19th century, Reichskanzler Otto von Bismarck introduced the first rudimentary state social insurance scheme. Today, the social protection of all its citizens is considered a central pillar of German national policy. 27.6 percent of Germany's GDP is channeled into an all-embracing system of health, pension, accident, longterm care and unemployment insurance, compared to 16.2 percent in the US. In addition, there are tax-financed services such as child benefits (Kindergeld, beginning at €184 per month for the first and second children, €190 for the third and €215 for each child thereafter, until they attain 25 years or receive their first professional qualification),[12] and basic provisions for those unable to work or anyone with an income below the poverty line.[13]

Since 2005, reception of full unemployment pay (60-67% of the previous net salary) has been restricted to 12 months in general and 18 months for those over 55. This is now followed by (usually much lower) Arbeitslosengeld II (ALG II) or Sozialhilfe, which is independent of previous employment (Hartz IV concept).

Under ALG II, a single person receives €379 per month plus the cost of 'adequate' housing and health insurance. ALG II can also be paid partially to supplement a low work income.

You claim its working for germany so lets do it OK?

Facts:

1. You cannot spend more than you bring in....for long.
2. The more the government takes in, the more it spends. It NEVER uses surplus to pay down debt.
3. You cannot tax the rich enough to even begin to fund the government at it's current spending PLUS all of the planned spending.
4. The only way to fix it is to cut spending.

If we were to ACTUALLY mirror what you people claim is a Geerman success then we need to up all that huh?

when in history has austerity brought an economy back from world wide recession?

What you label so ominously as "austerity", TM...is simply the notion of living within one's means. It isn't some radical concept dreamed up by conservatives...it's what rational beings practice because failure to do so leads to dire financial outcomes.

This really isn't a hard concept to grasp. The same things that work on a small scale with your household budget, hold true with the budget's of nations. Where much of the world has gotten themselves into deep trouble is listening to those who say you can have what ever you want and we'll find someone ELSE to pay for it.

What you're presently witnessing in France and Greece are majorities that now believe that they have a RIGHT to be given things...even though they haven't contributed sufficiently to society to pay for those things. They don't CARE if the country they live in goes belly up trying to do so and THAT is a recipe for disaster.

Watch Europe closely this summer. They are at a tipping point. If Greece reneges on it's agreements with the other EU countries and refuses to rein in their out of control spending then I don't think they're going to get bailed out anymore which means the whole house of cards comes crashing down.

Last edited:
Gee, who would have guess that TM was so full of shit she would not answer my post. I posted proof Europe has not tried it and she conveniently ignores it.

Hack, racist twit.

How long before TM flees her own thread AGAIN?

I answered you asshole, that article was written by a partisan hacks from the heritage foundation.

If you want to use propaganda dont expect anyone to take you seriously

Forum List

Back