GOP prepares comeback: ‘We can’t come off as a bunch of angry white men’

Fascinating to watch...

Liberals are telling them this.

Moderates are telling them this.

Independents are telling them this.

And now people in their own party are telling them this.

And many are still refusing to see it.

As you point out there is stupidity in every political persuation. Not until the MSM becomes honest will truth win out.

Think about it. As much of a right as Romney had for the things said about him can you really say he was an angry white guy? How about McCain? Certainly no one with any kind of cognazant abiltiy can be happy with what is going on in this country but to dismise them just as angry white men is BS, I don't care who is doing it.

I don't disagree. But here's what so many in the GOP aren't getting: There's too many in the party (Akin, et al, not to mention the Limbaughs of the world) who are just too willing to play directly into the hands of the Dems and the press by saying things that paint them this way. Then all the Dems and the press have to do is point at what these guys said.

Slut? Legitimate rape? These guys gave the Dems the gift of all gifts in 2012: They allowed the Democrats to take people's minds off the economy and paint them as whacked-out neanderthals. It was stunning to watch. And it does not appear to be stopping.

Like it or not, politics is about image. The GOP has allowed itself to lose sight of that, and now they're paying the price. How much longer are they going to keep this up?

Boy oh boy, sounds like the Republicans are getting ready to bring out their "Contract With America" again. The contract straightened America out once and the contract can do it again. Anyone remember what it was?

Can you remember even more recent history? What did Obama run on for reelection?

The contract for America, yeah I remember. It helped maintain the greates economic peacetime expansion of the economy started by Reagan.

More from this UNBIASED article

Minority 'engagement' a top priority

Making an honest effort to engage minorities was above anything else the main, yet unofficial, focus of party leaders this week.

On Thursday, committee members took part in a closed-door panel discussion on minority engagement. Edward Cousar, a black committeeman from South Carolina who sat on the panel, said white Republicans struggle in part because they spend too much time with other white Republicans. They have little idea how to speak or interact in a way that appears welcoming to outsiders who come from different ethnic and social backgrounds.

take this article with a grain of salt people

Fascinating to watch...

As you point out there is stupidity in every political persuation. Not until the MSM becomes honest will truth win out.

Think about it. As much of a right as Romney had for the things said about him can you really say he was an angry white guy? How about McCain? Certainly no one with any kind of cognazant abiltiy can be happy with what is going on in this country but to dismise them just as angry white men is BS, I don't care who is doing it.

I don't disagree. But here's what so many in the GOP aren't getting: There's too many in the party (Akin, et al, not to mention the Limbaughs of the world) who are just too willing to play directly into the hands of the Dems and the press by saying things that paint them this way. Then all the Dems and the press have to do is point at what these guys said.

Slut? Legitimate rape? These guys gave the Dems the gift of all gifts in 2012: They allowed the Democrats to take people's minds off the economy and paint them as whacked-out neanderthals. It was stunning to watch. And it does not appear to be stopping.

Like it or not, politics is about image. The GOP has allowed itself to lose sight of that, and now they're paying the price. How much longer are they going to keep this up?

You have made my point. The leaders of the Republican party made no such remarks. On the other hand Obama made fun of the special olympians, no problem. Can you imagine if Rush had done the same? BTW Rush is not part of the Republican leadership another MSM BS lie. Obama said that an unwanted pregnancy was a punishment, again can you imagine if a Republican said the same? Remember when Letterman, on national TV, degraded Palin's daughter and it was passed off as a joke? My point is that both sides make remarks that can be taken one way or the other. In my opinion the MSM jumps immediately on anything someone on the right says and assigns it to the Republican party.

If saying Benghazi was a tragedy that didn't have to happen and someone should be held accountable makes Republicans angry white men so be it. If opposing 6 trillion in debt makes Republicans angry white men so be it. But what I don't want is for the party of angry white men to become the party of democrats.

do any of you think we'd ever see from this lamestream media a article saying, Democrats can't be the party of angry black men?

This whole article was a farce, but the left loved it and they got to be racist all rolled into one

My first thought when I read that was headline was something to the effect of: "But that's what you ARE."

But I decided to reserve judgment until I had read the news article in its entirety (something I strongly suggest conservatives should try to do, at least once).

And what I came away with after reading the article is the feeling that the GOP wants to burnish its image. They truly want to change the public perception of who they are and what they believe. BUT, the don't REALLY want to change who they are and what they believe.

The excerpts in the following article were drawn from different parts of the article. So, if you want to get the full flavor of the article (and the comments made by many of the attendees at the GOP meeting), you should read the entire article.

As a final note, I wonder how all those angry white males in the GOP will react if and when a kinder and gentler GOP message is rolled out when they've become accustomed to the red meat they've been offered for so long.

"You're going to see a very renewed aggressive effort by this party to put on a different face," Bradshaw said on Thursday. "We've got to find a way to take our message to more people and get more votes. It's not a particularly complicated formula. We got beat; we have to change what we're doing."

First, they said Republicans must work on improving their tone when taking their ideas to the American people. For example, when discussing immigration, maybe presidential candidates should avoid phrases like "self-deportation" (Mitt Romney) and "anchor babies" (Michele Bachmann).

Henry Barbour said some in the party can appear "hostile" to certain constituencies with the rhetoric they use. The party must increase communication training for candidates, he said.

"There are certainly too many times when we've had candidates who have come across as hostile, and that's not really helpful when you're trying to win elections," Barbour said.

Robert Bennett, chairman of the Ohio Republican Party, was even more blunt.

"We need to understand that we can't come off as a bunch of angry white men," he said.

Republicans say if that means supporting a moderate candidate who can actually win over a hardline conservative who doesn't stand a chance, so be it. (You may have noticed that among the names that make up The Bobs, there isn't anyone who might be considered a "tea party leader.")

"If we're not nominating candidates that can win in the general election, what business are we in?" Barbour said. "We are in the business of winning elections."

There is one thing, however, that no one—not the committee members, elected officials or even The Bobs—seem interested in addressing, and that's whether core Republican ideas need to change.

Most here said they don't.

GOP prepares comeback: ?We can?t come off as a bunch of angry white men? | The Ticket - Yahoo! News

While there have been some isolated incidents of repubs saying incredibly stupid things, the real problem is that the dem party has been successful in labeling the repubs as racist...among other things. Dems have done the same thing, and worse. The liberals have much to gain if they continue to be successful in convincing people that repubs are angry white racists, much of which they know is not at all accurate, but it helps their political cause. If the GOP wastes all their time back-peddling and recanting and making public statements about needing to improve their brand so as to pimp more voters, the worse they look. The real problem is the establishment repubs....they control the party and don't give a fuck about anything except getting re-elected. Same with the establishment dems.....they don't give a fuck about anything except for the next election and trying to destroy anyone who challenges their agenda. Moderate repubs/dems are non-existent. They are forced to align with the crazy extremists of their party...if they don't, they get no funding for elections; if they do they look like retarded three year-olds on crack. If there truly is a moderate candidate, he/she needs to make themselves known.....NOW. But the liberals have no interest in a moderate candidate; they only say they are.

That’s where you went off the track, and everyone stopped reading.

And with good reason.

This is about the GOP, not the democrats. Blaming democrats or trying to deflect by focusing on democratic deficiencies isn’t going to fix what’s wrong with the GOP.

What is your solution to fix your party?

Its like people didn't like their message so now they're going to say it louder & people will somehow change their mind?

My first thought when I read that was headline was something to the effect of: "But that's what you ARE."

But I decided to reserve judgment until I had read the news article in its entirety (something I strongly suggest conservatives should try to do, at least once).

And what I came away with after reading the article is the feeling that the GOP wants to burnish its image. They truly want to change the public perception of who they are and what they believe. BUT, the don't REALLY want to change who they are and what they believe.

The excerpts in the following article were drawn from different parts of the article. So, if you want to get the full flavor of the article (and the comments made by many of the attendees at the GOP meeting), you should read the entire article.

As a final note, I wonder how all those angry white males in the GOP will react if and when a kinder and gentler GOP message is rolled out when they've become accustomed to the red meat they've been offered for so long.

While there have been some isolated incidents of repubs saying incredibly stupid things, the real problem is that the dem party has been successful in labeling the repubs as racist...among other things. Dems have done the same thing, and worse. The liberals have much to gain if they continue to be successful in convincing people that repubs are angry white racists, much of which they know is not at all accurate, but it helps their political cause. If the GOP wastes all their time back-peddling and recanting and making public statements about needing to improve their brand so as to pimp more voters, the worse they look. The real problem is the establishment repubs....they control the party and don't give a fuck about anything except getting re-elected. Same with the establishment dems.....they don't give a fuck about anything except for the next election and trying to destroy anyone who challenges their agenda. Moderate repubs/dems are non-existent. They are forced to align with the crazy extremists of their party...if they don't, they get no funding for elections; if they do they look like retarded three year-olds on crack. If there truly is a moderate candidate, he/she needs to make themselves known.....NOW. But the liberals have no interest in a moderate candidate; they only say they are.

That’s where you went off the track, and everyone stopped reading.

And with good reason.

This is about the GOP, not the democrats. Blaming democrats or trying to deflect by focusing on democratic deficiencies isn’t going to fix what’s wrong with the GOP.

What is your solution to fix your party?

Evidently a lot of people don't think it needs fixing..48% voted for Republican in this election giving the Democrats a narrow win with the people of this country and they gave the house back to them..Just because you people and whoever these idiots are in this article say so, doesn't mean jack shit..

when you all start questioning what the Democrat party must do then we'll care more

Fascinating to watch...

Pride and arrogance on the part of many republicans is clearly a factor.

Also the consequence of adhering blindly to political dogma, that which must be believed, regardless the facts.

Gov. Jindal is advocating for a more pragmatic approach; but dogma and pragmatism do not mix.

Fascinating to watch...

Also the consequence of adhering blindly to political dogma, that which must be believed, regardless the facts.

Gov. Jindal is advocating for a more pragmatic approach; but dogma and pragmatism do not mix.

omg, now people shouldn't have pride...they should be sniveling snakes to win a election

You really have to wonder about the liberal mindset. They supported the angry rabble that called itself OWS who shat in the parks, shot dope, raped women, stopped traffic, took over peaceful parks and stopped commerce and they manage to call a bunch of pot bellied Vets and old bald headed guys and blue haired old ladies who carried a copy of the Bill of Rights in their back pockets, "angry".

No, you don’t.

Again, this is about what republicans need to do to address the failures of the GOP; as a rightist, what are your solutions to making the GOP again viable.

This isn’t about ‘liberals.’

All the republican party has to do is accept facts in place of the fantasy world they live in now

do any of you think we'd ever see from this lamestream media a article saying, Democrats can't be the party of angry black men?

This whole article was a farce, but the left loved it and they got to be racist all rolled into one

What the Republcians need is for black conservatives to step up and call BS. But I can't blame them if they don't the smear they will receive may not be worth the effort.

You really have to wonder about the liberal mindset. They supported the angry rabble that called itself OWS who shat in the parks, shot dope, raped women, stopped traffic, took over peaceful parks and stopped commerce and they manage to call a bunch of pot bellied Vets and old bald headed guys and blue haired old ladies who carried a copy of the Bill of Rights in their back pockets, "angry".

No, you don’t.

Again, this is about what republicans need to do to address the failures of the GOP; as a rightist, what are your solutions to making the GOP again viable.

This isn’t about ‘liberals.’

Republicans have not failed at all, the state of the Union is all Obama and the democrats. Just because you perceive winning some elections as the measure of success doesn't mean the rest of us do.

Obama won the election running it on nothing but character assassination nothing more that should be a shame to the DNC not something to be praised.

Fascinating to watch...

omg, now people shouldn't have pride...they should be sniveling snakes to win a election

That is funny they would bring up pride since Michelle is now proud of America.

You have made my point. The leaders of the Republican party made no such remarks. On the other hand Obama made fun of the special olympians, no problem. Can you imagine if Rush had done the same? BTW Rush is not part of the Republican leadership another MSM BS lie. Obama said that an unwanted pregnancy was a punishment, again can you imagine if a Republican said the same? Remember when Letterman, on national TV, degraded Palin's daughter and it was passed off as a joke? My point is that both sides make remarks that can be taken one way or the other. In my opinion the MSM jumps immediately on anything someone on the right says and assigns it to the Republican party.

If saying Benghazi was a tragedy that didn't have to happen and someone should be held accountable makes Republicans angry white men so be it. If opposing 6 trillion in debt makes Republicans angry white men so be it. But what I don't want is for the party of angry white men to become the party of democrats.

Irrelevant.

Candidates for elected public office made those remarks, even more significant and damning, as opposed to ‘leaders’ who hold appointed positions in a private political party.

And their first step in this transformation was...

...to re-elect Reince Preibus RNC chairman. lol, he is a textbook example of an angry white man,

although 'whiney' and/or 'bitchy' might be more precise adjectives.

Irrelevant.

Candidates for elected public office made those remarks, even more significant and damning, as opposed to ‘leaders’ who hold appointed positions in a private political party.

OK, fair enough, this clip here shows the complete and utter stupidity of the Democrat party from its leadership on down.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNZczIgVXjg&feature=player_embedded]3-25-2010_Hank_Johnson_Guam_Tip_Over.wmv - YouTube[/ame]

Forum List

Back