GOP Coburn Plans to Hold Up 9/11 Responders Bill

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
Oklahoma Sen. Coburn Plans To Hold Up 9/11 Responders Bill : The Two-Way : NPR

by MARK MEMMOTT

There's word now that "Oklahoma Republican Sen. Tom Coburn will not allow a proposal that would cover health-care costs for ground zero workers to go through the Senate before Christmas" (via The Wall Street Journal's Washington Wire blog).

Sen. Tom Coburn, R-OK.
Politico says ilt's been told by Coburn that "he wouldn't allow the bill to move quickly, saying he has problems with parts of the bill and the process Democrats are employing."
<more>

But Washington Wire says that Coburn "wants the package to be funded through spending cuts," not the planned "2% fee on imports and services from companies that are not members of the Agreement on Government Procurement, a treaty of the World Trade Organization."

Is that unreasonable?

But Washington Wire says that Coburn "wants the package to be funded through spending cuts," not the planned "2% fee on imports and services from companies that are not members of the Agreement on Government Procurement, a treaty of the World Trade Organization."

Is that unreasonable?

It is nothing new for heartless retards, and NO, it isn't reasonable. Why don't we hold up your paycheck until April until we can make spending cuts that have nothing to do with your wages. Don't play dumbass on us with reasonable.

This is the same thing Reagan did with the hostages.:eusa_eh:

Why is wanting to debate and discuss provisions in the bill heartless? Even if the Bill is passed tonight it doesnt go into effect until July. What is the harm of discussion the provisions?

You guys still havent even provided a reason why we need the bill considering the first responders have always been insured through their jobs.

Omg, they are STILL pushing this meme.

Musta got a memo from Mediamatters and the DNC.

How many damn threads does this make on this now?

Why is wanting to debate and discuss provisions in the bill heartless?

Because weak-minded people form their opinions based on their emotions rather than looking at the whole picture.

You guys still havent even provided a reason why we need the bill considering the first responders have always been insured through their jobs.

I'm guessing their health plans probably didn't cover everything, so yeah, the feds should pick up the remaining tab, but I do question the $7 billion price tag. That seems like an awful lot of money being asked for.

I'm guessing their health plans probably didn't cover everything, so yeah, the feds should pick up the remaining tab, but I do question the $7 billion price tag. That seems like an awful lot of money being asked for.

Much of that price tag is actually:

Building infrastructure (Not sure why we need infrastructure. If we are insuring people, the hospital system works fine for me. The most we would need is a few people to screen to make sure no one is committing fraud).
Researching "9/11 related illnesses" which if you look at the wording of the bill is just about every single disease known to man.

When I read it it seemed more that they were trying to use 9/11 to send pork to their special interests while pretending to help the actual victims.

BTW what ever happened to all the private charity that was gathered for this very reason?

Oklahoma Sen. Coburn Plans To Hold Up 9/11 Responders Bill : The Two-Way : NPR

by MARK MEMMOTT

There's word now that "Oklahoma Republican Sen. Tom Coburn will not allow a proposal that would cover health-care costs for ground zero workers to go through the Senate before Christmas" (via The Wall Street Journal's Washington Wire blog).

Sen. Tom Coburn, R-OK.
Politico says ilt's been told by Coburn that "he wouldn't allow the bill to move quickly, saying he has problems with parts of the bill and the process Democrats are employing."
<more>

I have one question, how much money have these fucking people already been given? Weren't billions set aside for these people? How long, and how much money are we to be held hostage for because they helped clean up ground zero? Additionally, how can one prove any cancer that these people might have developed didn't come from other sources? So anyone who worked the cleanup and gets cancer will now be eligigle for millions more at the taxpayer expense? Maybe I should go up there to ground zero and sweep up a little so I can get mine.

Is that unreasonable?

What an interesting concept...Let's find a way to pay for things,let's cut some spending.....
The Democrats.Well they will never grasp that,spending is part of their genetic makeup.:doubt:

Is that unreasonable?

What an interesting concept...Let's find a way to pay for things,let's cut some spending.....
The Democrats.Well they will never grasp that,spending is part of their genetic makeup.:doubt:

Cause we all know that Republican's don't spend, right?

It's not like the budget has skyrocketed EVERY YEAR for the last 50.

Even His High Holiness Saint Reagan the First increased spending.

I tried to read the bill, but got disgusted at all the additional add ons to the government. I stopped counting after 2 new divisions in the federal government and at least 200 people in each one. I think that was only after the first 10 pages......

I tried to read the bill, but got disgusted at all the additional add ons to the government. I stopped counting after 2 new divisions in the federal government and at least 200 people in each one. I think that was only after the first 10 pages......

Of course there's objectionable things added in this bill.It's a setup because like what's happening now you disagree with the add ons you will be labeled scumbags for not helping out the first responders.:eusa_shhh:

Yeah the structure they were creating seemed overkill for the need.

Of course there's objectionable things added in this bill.It's a setup because like what's happening now you disagree with the add ons you will be labeled scumbags for not helping out the first responders.:eusa_shhh:

Why don't you tell me what "objectionable" things have been added to the bill? There's no riders (like the Republicans wanted to add).

Yeah the structure they were creating seemed overkill for the need.

It creates one program at the Dept. of Health and Human Services. Not two. Neither with a staff of "at least 200".

I don't know what copy of the bill Ollie is reading.

Forum List

Back