GOP Coburn Plans to Hold Up 9/11 Responders Bill

Gotta love it. Such a show of compassion from all our board Conservatives. Yet they were crying buckets at the thought of the rich having to pay the taxes they paid in the '90s.

Take a look at post #7. You are exactly the type of individual I was talking about.

Sure, so, perhaps we can talk Moore into taking more of the 9-11 responders to Cuba.

Perhaps we can talk Michael Moore into stop being a hypocrite and to start writing the government a check for 70% of his income since that's what he thinks the rates should be for others.

And if you actually believe that Cuba has a superior health care system to the U.S., then it's no wonder why you need other people to pay your bills and wipe your ass for you.

Gotta love it. Such a show of compassion from all our board Conservatives. Yet they were crying buckets at the thought of the rich having to pay the taxes they paid in the '90s.

Sure, so, perhaps we can talk Moore into taking more of the 9-11 responders to Cuba.

Tom Coburn is a medical doctor. A typical Right Winger, he appears on Fox and says the bill never went through a committee and received a hearing and it did all the way back in June and in typical right wing fashion, HE WAS A MEMBER OF THAT COMMITTEE. But he says that doesn't count.

I don't get the right wing. It seems their leadership can do anything and get away with it.

Apologize to BP
Hold millions hostage to get tax cuts for rich people who didn't even want them
Push for more spending in Afghanistan
Denying first responders needed medical care
Number one concern is to beat Obama and make sure he fails

Why is the base protecting these politicians? Do they really and truly agree with these positions?

Coburn Moves to Block 9/11 First Responders Bill as Some Republicans Urge its Passage - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

Coburn also argued that the bill, entitled the Zadroga 9/11 Health and Compensation Act, "hasn't even been through a committee." Coburn added: "We haven't had the testimony to know." (ThinkProgress notes that on June 29, the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions - on which Coburn sits - held a hearing on the bill. But Coburn's office says that doesn't amount to having gone "through a committee.")

Meanwhile, a growing chorus of Republican commentators has begun to pressure GOP senators to revise their positions, arguing that the health of first responders is a sensitive national issue - and that opposing it could be politically unwise.

"It's just like taking care of veterans' health care... It can't be a good move for Republicans to oppose a bill for the firefighters and the cops on 9/11."

A few conservatives supporting the bill:

Mike Huckabee
Shepard Smith
Joe Scarborough

They will defend ANYTHING to keep their failed ideas alive in their own minds

On the news, they said it was a "stand-a-lone" bill. I don't know if that was true.

The bill's online on Thomas.gov

Check it out.

Bill Text - 111th Congress (2009-2010) - THOMAS (Library of Congress)

Am I reading it wrong or is it like ten pages? Yea, I was reading it wrong.

But I didn't see anything so far not related to first responders. Guess I have to read the whole thing.

Then you sure as heck aren't reading it carefully.

BTW Can you tell me what provision of the Constitution authorizes this bill?

Oklahoma Sen. Coburn Plans To Hold Up 9/11 Responders Bill : The Two-Way : NPR

by MARK MEMMOTT

There's word now that "Oklahoma Republican Sen. Tom Coburn will not allow a proposal that would cover health-care costs for ground zero workers to go through the Senate before Christmas" (via The Wall Street Journal's Washington Wire blog).

Sen. Tom Coburn, R-OK.
Politico says ilt's been told by Coburn that "he wouldn't allow the bill to move quickly, saying he has problems with parts of the bill and the process Democrats are employing."
<more>

Coburn is my Senator and his OKC office is in the building directly across the street from mine. More power to him. You know, I'm reminded of my brother-in-law and his wife. He left the finances to her and trusted her. She almost spent them into bancruptcy. He took the checkbook away from her, cut up her cards and borrowed $5,000 from my wife and I to stave off bankruptcy. He then paid us $100 a month until he got it paid off.

Sure, first responders at ground zero tug at our heart strings. Hey, befor 9/11, the largest terrorist attack on US soil happened right here in OKC just blocks away from my office. All that being said, you simply can't spend what you don't have. This is a principle that Coburn governs with. If you want to spend, you either have to come up with a way to pay for it or find somewhere to cut to pay for it or both. Honestly, a flood here or a hurricane there is no sweat off my back because it doesn't affect me. To those who are affected, it is a big deal. The problem is, while saying on one hand that we need to tighten the belt, we all have our pet projects that are an sxception. Coburn simply says no more exceptions. If you want it, find a way to pay for it. Even though it appears so, the government doesn't shit real money. At some point, the piper has to be paid. Coburn is trying to staunch the flow. As I said earlier, more power to him. We need a whole lot more like him.

Some "truths".

The government told those people it was "safe". And remember who the "government" was at that time.

I watched one of the responders on the news just a couple of hours ago. He said he went to 44 funerals of friends he worked with who were also first responders who all died during the last 4 years. Every one of them had cancer. They were in their 30s, 40s, and 50s. He asked the crowd to raise their hand, everyone who has been to 44 or more funerals during the last four years (he was the only one who raised his hand).

The thing that gets me. These are all a bunch of policemen and firemen and hard working construction workers and other American heroes and Republicans act as if they were a bunch of sponges and criminal trash who are trying to "pull one over" and from my understanding, all they are seeking is "medical care".

If they were rich, Republicans would find a way to get them treatment for free. You wanna bet?

The Government is New York State and NYC. Who are you kidding? You could not get farther away from Conservative. NY is run by the DNC and the Unions. Why are they being denied Workman's Compensation Insurance coverage, and treatment? You could not be more full of shit. Fucking "Atlas Shrugged" is being unveiled before our eyes.

Some "truths".

The government told those people it was "safe". And remember who the "government" was at that time.

I watched one of the responders on the news just a couple of hours ago. He said he went to 44 funerals of friends he worked with who were also first responders who all died during the last 4 years. Every one of them had cancer. They were in their 30s, 40s, and 50s. He asked the crowd to raise their hand, everyone who has been to 44 or more funerals during the last four years (he was the only one who raised his hand).

The thing that gets me. These are all a bunch of policemen and firemen and hard working construction workers and other American heroes and Republicans act as if they were a bunch of sponges and criminal trash who are trying to "pull one over" and from my understanding, all they are seeking is "medical care".

If they were rich, Republicans would find a way to get them treatment for free. You wanna bet?

The Government is New York State and NYC. Who are you kidding? You could not get farther away from Conservative. NY is run by the DNC and the Unions. Why are they being denied Workman's Compensation Insurance coverage, and treatment? You could not be more full of shit. Fucking "Atlas Shrugged" is being unveiled before our eyes.

Can you prove they were? Does it last forever?

Even the Oklahoma City Fireman ragged on Coburn. His next run for re-election should be interesting.

Oklahoma City Firefighters Target Tom Coburn | New York Daily News

"We lived through the horror in Oklahoma City in April 1995, and many of our members responded to Ground Zero during 9/11. Fire fighters are always there for our country, and we need Tom Coburn and Jim Inhofe to be there for our FDNY brothers and sisters!

The Oklahoma Fire Fighters urge our two Senators to stand tall with America's first responders. Instead of employing procedural tactics of delay, vote to give the hero's of 9/11 the protection and benefits they have earned.

Forum List

Back