Good post about Bernie from Daniel Bongino...

I'd like to poke a couple of holes in the logic here.

You have concerns about your job future? Bernie's answer is "More government spending." But, we have spent historic amounts of tax-payer money over the past 7 years (almost 10 trillion in NEW debt) and we still have a historic 94 million Americans out of work.

Simple translation: We spent lots money and still have no jobs.
This doesn't mean that we have no jobs BECAUSE we spent lots of money. That argument would be the equivalent of thinking, I went to the grocery store today, and there was crime in Japan. Therefore, if I want to reduce crime in Japan, I should NOT go to the grocery store today.

You might be able to make the argument that spending "historic amounts of tax-payer money" certainly didn't FIX our terrible unemployment rate, but again, it doesn't necessarily mean that spending LESS tax-payer money will mean you'll have more jobs. If you do believe that, it is because you subscribe to that political philosophy, not because of empirical facts. It would be an equally valid and opposite thought to suggest that more government spending could lead to more jobs.

You have concerns about your healthcare? Bernie's answer is "More government healthcare spending and a government-takeover of the healthcare system." But, after years of Obamacare and its dramatic expansion of Medicaid (a government program), we STILL have millions of uninsured Americans and healthcare premiums all over the country are rising by double-digits.

Obamacare sucks. I think a large majority of people from both parties would agree with this. Just because Obamacare sucks, doesn't necessarily mean that government healthcare sucks. There are plenty of other countries who have great national healthcare plans. In fact we're one of the only 1st world countries WITHOUT a decent national healthcare system.

You have concerns about the exploding costs of college? Bernie's answer is "free" college. But, the Obama administration took over the student loan market and dramatically expanded the role of government and the costs of college are rapidly growing. In fact, a recent N.B.E.R. study blamed nearly ALL of the exploding costs of college on government intervention.

Is this suggesting that if Universities were tuition free, then tuition would go up? That makes the least amount of sense.

Additionally, arguing that we shouldn't vote for Sanders because he's a fast talking politician? Then who should we vote for, one of the other fast-talking politicians? Or should we just stay home and not vote?

Your logic is, shall we say, non-existent?

...and that's being generous

Is this suggesting that if Universities were tuition free, then tuition would go up? That makes the least amount of sense.

The crux of the issue is this logic right here. Nothing is free. Even if he says "college should be free" -- it will NEVER be free. It might be free to the people going to school at the moment they are in school, but it will never be free to anyone else who pays taxes (including them, after they graduate).

Say this very very slowly and let it sink in. NOTHING IS FREE.
I understand that. But this facebook post is directed at college kids, and to them, tuition WILL be free. You're right; its not really free, as it's likely going to come out of someone else's pockets, in this instance Wall Street, as Bernie has suggested over and over. But if I was a college kid, why would I not want that?

Because when you graduate now you get that loan paid off in 10 to 25 years or so, 3 to 5 years on some, depending on what type of college you go to.
You now have that extra money each month to use as you please.
Bernie's way is taxing all until you retire and even then some retiree's pay taxes on their pensions and a few on SS.

Concerning the college kids, the only college kids who are going to care about this are the poor ones who did well in school but can't afford to go to college. Otherwise, it's the parents who care. I'm not going to college, but I sure as hell do want my kids to be able to go without it bankrupting me or their future lives.. I expect them to care about it when the time comes, but really there's nothing they'll be able to do about it, and chances are they'll have a slim idea of budgeting and the weight of debt at their age. It's the parents and the futures of those kids that are really affected.

I understand that. But this facebook post is directed at college kids, and to them, tuition WILL be free. You're right; its not really free, as it's likely going to come out of someone else's pockets, in this instance Wall Street, as Bernie has suggested over and over. But if I was a college kid, why would I not want that?

You keep acting like taking it away from "someone else" somehow makes it free. Take it from Wall Street? OK.. they will just pass this expense onto all the customers (you, and the students)... with a large fee paid for by the Government (paid for by the taxpayers, read: you, and the students after they stop going to school.)

Any way you slice it, it will NEVER BE FREE. I don't understand why this point is so hard to get across to people.

Yes, the payment for college tuition might be payment DEFERRED for the students only... but it will never be free, no matter who tells you what, no matter where they say they are getting it.

The fact that politicians are even allowed to use the word free is laughable.

Yes, it comes back to the college kid in some way or another, but the idea is that it hits them not with an $80K debt when they get out of college without a job (yet). Its the same as saying High School is free. You're right, I'm paying taxes (now that I'm an adult and not in High School), and therefore I'm just paying for High School in my later years, but I think that's preferable than having to pay for high school when I'm 16.

Yes, my taxes would be lower if I didn't have to pay for the High School education of every damn kid in America, but I think its the price we pay so that some poor kid can get an education.

Fewer houses and buildings burn to the ground.

Actually, that would be due to the private sector, specifically Underwriters Laboratories (U/L) who created standards to avoid paying claims due to fires. Government has little, if anything to do with it. Even building codes are driven by private insurance.

In Nassau County, a Civil Inspector must grant a Permit.

Forum List

Back