Good books for guys?

can't believe i didn't think of this one earlier

The Outsiders (novel) - Wikipedia

agree with recommendations for cornwell's sharpe series, would also recommend his The Saxon Stories - Wikipedia

last kingdom tv series is based on this- very cool and pretty accurate historically as all his work generally is

i loved horatio hornblower as someone else suggested, but i'd recommend dewey lambdin's series about Alan Lewrie - Wikipedia

way more drinking and sex than horatio, and, well, you said it was guys

I have enjoyed reading most of the suggestions. Brings back a lot of memories because I barely read books anymore, as much for disgust with new literature but more literally because of time constraints. But I think maybe you are trying to mold them in your own image too much, which there is nothing wrong with your own image.

I think you are getting the cart before the horse. Let them become proficient in understanding the written word and then they can choose what to do with it. I had a man work for me for a long time who was illiterate.i don’t even know how he operated when he had to drive a truck somewhere. People can be so creative. I begged him to go to night school, I even told him I would pay for it if it cost money but he was too old or set in his ways and probably embarrassed.

I wouldn’t keep it so pure. Use videos with some print. Show movies with subtitles. Comic books sounds good, but I would make use of the newspaper. It has issues everyone can be interested in and everyone in class will be familiar with. I am assuming you are just trying to get these adults to be able to be functional in society. Try copying food menus from local restaurants and passing out to everyone. Make the learning practical to their living. You can plant the seed Old Lady and if the soil is fertile the plant will bloom, but not all,will flourish. I commend you for your work.

Here are a few of my favorites...

Call of the wild - Jack London
Transfer of Power - Vince Flynn
Killing Floor - Lee Child
Enders Game - Orson Scott Card
Childhoods End- Arthur C Clarke
Foundation Series - Isaac Asimov
Dragonriders of Pern Series - Ann McCaffery
Cannery Row - John Steinbeck
Drizzt Series - R. A. Salvatore
Hyperion Series - Dan Simmons
The Dragonriders of Pern was an outstanding series. Also, Enders Game was better than the movie, but the movie wasn't bad.

For a little more modern take on life and sexuality, Mercedes Lackey's Vladimir series is very well done. In fact, it is where the inspiration for My forum handle came from.

One of my favorite fiction authors is Neal Stephenson. Snow Crash is a good starter.

Although his books are the polar opposite of "short" stories, particularly the ones since the 2000s.
What is it about, Doc?

I have enjoyed reading most of the suggestions. Brings back a lot of memories because I barely read books anymore, as much for disgust with new literature but more literally because of time constraints. But I think maybe you are trying to mold them in your own image too much, which there is nothing wrong with your own image.

I think you are getting the cart before the horse. Let them become proficient in understanding the written word and then they can choose what to do with it. I had a man work for me for a long time who was illiterate.i don’t even know how he operated when he had to drive a truck somewhere. People can be so creative. I begged him to go to night school, I even told him I would pay for it if it cost money but he was too old or set in his ways and probably embarrassed.

I wouldn’t keep it so pure. Use videos with some print. Show movies with subtitles. Comic books sounds good, but I would make use of the newspaper. It has issues everyone can be interested in and everyone in class will be familiar with. I am assuming you are just trying to get these adults to be able to be functional in society. Try copying food menus from local restaurants and passing out to everyone. Make the learning practical to their living. You can plant the seed Old Lady and if the soil is fertile the plant will bloom, but not all,will flourish. I commend you for your work.
Thanks, Shrimpbox. This request is for fun books. It is not for the basis of my reading instruction; it is for "practice," basically. The more you read, the more fluency you develop.

William Johnstone. I have read ALL of his Ashes series there is over 30 of them! Very interesting and fast paced books.
Out of the Ashes (Ashes series) - Wikipedia
Vince Flynn's books action packed and VERY quick reads I read one of his books in 1 day. Kyle Mills has taken over his series since Flynn died but they are just as good.
Mitch Rapp - Wikipedia
Animal Farm
Animal Farm - Wikipedia
Josey Wales by Forest Carter
https://www.amazon.com/Josey-Wales-Westerns-Texas-Vengeance/dp/0826311687&tag=ff0d01-20
Rudy: My story its about a walk on football player at Notre Dame. True story
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C2I6OP8/?tag=ff0d01-20
The Survivalist series by A. American
The Survivalist Series by A. American
John Grisham I read a TON of his books
The After Series by William Forstchen
After Series by William R. Forstchen
The Saxon Stories Series by Bernard Cornwell
The Saxon Stories - Wikipedia
Under and Alone by William Queen
Under and Alone - Wikipedia
No Angel by Jay Dobyns
https://www.amazon.com/No-Angel-Harrowing-Undercover-Journey/dp/0307405869&tag=ff0d01-20
The Guns of the south by Harry Turtledove
The Guns of the South - Wikipedia
The Bus by Jerome Bettis
https://www.amazon.com/Bus-My-Life-out-Helmet/dp/0767926668&tag=ff0d01-20
American Empire series by Harry Turtledove
American Empire (series) - Wikipedia
Phoenix Rising series by William Johnstone
Phoenix Rising Series by William W. Johnstone
The Outsiders by H.E. Hinton
The Outsiders (novel) - Wikipedia

Both Johnstone,Turtledove and Corwell have NUMEROUS other series teens/young males may find interesting.

I have a goodreads account with these books and thousands of others young males may find interesting. My main choice of books is nonfiction politics etc but I love sports of all kinds and have many classics as well

I frequently get male students who need to improve their reading--and the best way to do that is to read. I know nothing about sports, hunting, motorcycles and other engines, etc, and I don't read that stuff.
Keeping in mind their reading levels aren't real high, what are some really interesting books they might enjoy?

Please keep it clean.

iu

I really liked anything by Faulkner and Hemingway as a boy and teenager.
Faulkner is my favorite, but my students would go SCREAMING from the room if I threw anything of his at them. LOL
Hemingway is one I was thinking about last night. For Whom the Bell Tolls was good, I thought. I haven't read a lot of him.

Faulkner is my favorite, but my students would go SCREAMING from the room if I threw anything of his at them. LOL
Hemingway is one I was thinking about last night. For Whom the Bell Tolls was good, I thought. I haven't read a lot of him.

Hemingway bored me to tears I must say. It's been too long to remember much detail as to why but he seemed to be consumed by his own testosterone poisoning. I just remember it was torture getting through it.

For a little more modern take on life and sexuality, Mercedes Lackey's Vladimir series is very well done. In fact, it is where the inspiration for My forum handle came from.

It hadn't occurred to me but my own handle is also derived directly from literature, albeit a comic book, and albeit written in a severe dialect --- which makes the reader think to interpret it. I grew up on those books and they were a strong influence.

I think that guys might get a kick from Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I don't recall that it was a difficult read.

Boring, there is a reason he was a drunk...

Steinbeck would be better than Faulkner.

I frequently get male students who need to improve their reading--and the best way to do that is to read. I know nothing about sports, hunting, motorcycles and other engines, etc, and I don't read that stuff.
Keeping in mind their reading levels aren't real high, what are some really interesting books they might enjoy?

Please keep it clean.

Ender's Game
Percy Jackson

The Name of the Wind (my favorite book).

The book that got my husband reading when he was a kid was Peter Benchley's "Jaws".

Please keep it clean.

Anything written by S.E. Hinton. A few of her books were made into movies.

John Gresham is another easy read.

Raymond E. Feist Rift War Saga is also good for teens.

Forum List

Back