Good books for guys?

How old are the guys?

If young then check out diary of a wimpy kid by jeff kinney. It is a series and i witnessed it making avid readers out of nintendo kids. Same goes for the Harry Potter fast food.
I teach adult ed, so they have to be 17. Most are drop outs, 18 or older.

If attention spans are at issue, try books of short stories. Rarely more than a few chapters, completed in a short period of time, almost instant gratification...

Ray Bradbury... Philip K. Dick... Stephen King...

When I was in high school, I read all of the works by Louis L'Amour. Not short stories necessarily, though he wrote some, but westerns. Who doesn't love a good western?
Good call on Bradbury. I had forgotten him.
I really liked Herbert, too. Started with the Dunes and then read his other stuff. He was good. Maybe not exciting, enough, though, for the guys.
True. Dune is more a political intrigue story (at least at first, the continuation of the story after God Emperor has change it a bit) and sometimes difficult to follow. Herbert is a fantastic storyteller though.

Hmm...Some Raymond Fiest might be good too. Specifically, the Riftwar Saga. Has all the things a growing boy needs. Dragons, Demi-Gods, Elves, and a thief turned hero.

I read a lot of Raymond E. Feist when I was younger. Would probably still be decent light reading as an adult, but not sure.
I've always like him. As I said, the Riftwar Saga was very good and I think a good addition to any reading list.

How old are the guys?

If young then check out diary of a wimpy kid by jeff kinney. It is a series and i witnessed it making avid readers out of nintendo kids. Same goes for the Harry Potter fast food.
I was in line to buy the next Harry Potter book each time one came out. Loved that series--how can you call it fast food!
potter is a third rate wizard.....
You think that highly of him, eh? :04:

Hmm...Some Raymond Fiest might be good too. Specifically, the Riftwar Saga. Has all the things a growing boy needs. Dragons, Demi-Gods, Elves, and a thief turned hero.

I read a lot of Raymond E. Feist when I was younger. Would probably still be decent light reading as an adult, but not sure.
I've always like him. As I said, the Riftwar Saga was very good and I think a good addition to any reading list.

I still have the Riftwar Saga books sitting in a box somewhere. Maybe one day I'll dust them off, and reread them.

You are in maine, right. Then of course a myriad of Stephen king stories apply. Just tell them they are based on a real event.
Yes, just learned he writes short stories. If my students haven't read everything by him, that's a great idea. I can't read horror--it keeps me awake, for real. I've never read him or seen any of his movies.
Forget the movies. But the books, wow, among the early works.. real gems. If your guys like cars, CHRISTINE

The Stand

I read the original version twice and in between those readings I read the unedited version. One of my favorite books by any author. Personally, I can't really read King anymore, anything after and including Gerald's Game just blows. With the exception of 11/22/63.

I read one of the books written by his kid, not too bad... Heart Shaped Box was the title...
For some reason, Gerald's Game just couldn't keep My interest. I never managed to finish it.

I still have the Riftwar Saga books sitting in a box somewhere. Maybe one day I'll dust them off, and reread them.
Nice. Most of the books I used to have were all left behind in CA when I moved to NY. So now My library is electronic. I think I have the complete set in My kindle collection.

Which, for some strange reason just triggered My memory about David Eddings. LOL

OldLady David Eddings is someone I cannot recommend strongly enough. Start with The Belgariad. Its a five volume set and features some real humor, sword & sorcery, gods, and bad guy/good guy storytelling.

How old are the guys?

I was in line to buy the next Harry Potter book each time one came out. Loved that series--how can you call it fast food!
potter is a third rate wizard.....
You think that highly of him, eh? :04:
real wizards use staffs not sissy wands ....

How old are the guys?

I teach adult ed, so they have to be 17. Most are drop outs, 18 or older.

Three very interesting spy novels by Ken Follett have a basis in WWII reality. "The Eye of the Needle", "Triple", and "The Key to Rebecca". I believe all three were made into movies. All three are written at about 7th grade reading level. The standard for most adult books.

If you are interested in some mind bending science fiction and speculative fiction, I highly recommend ANY books by Harlan Ellison. He's mainly a short story writer, but many of his stories deal with some pretty interesting social issues and the like.

One of my favorite books by him was "Gentleman Junkie and Other Stories of the Hung Up Generation". Lots of really good short stories in there.

But, you also gotta like authors with a bit of an edge, because Harlan Ellison has one.

One of my favorite fiction authors is Neal Stephenson. Snow Crash is a good starter.

Although his books are the polar opposite of "short" stories, particularly the ones since the 2000s.

I frequently get male students who need to improve their reading--and the best way to do that is to read. I know nothing about sports, hunting, motorcycles and other engines, etc, and I don't read that stuff.
Keeping in mind their reading levels aren't real high, what are some really interesting books they might enjoy?

Please keep it clean.

I got one. Takes a LOT to get me to read literature for just enjoyment. This guy went to high school with my wife and several of the BLM/Forestry people that worked with him in Idaho were my dorm mates at Florida. I've trailed thru the land he describes up in Idaho with my college "tree/wild life"" huggers..

It's funny, and well written...

Indian Creek Chronicles: A Winter Alone in the Wilderness by Pete Fromm

Winner of the Pacific Northwest Booksellers Association Book Award, Indian Creek Chronicles is Pete Fromm's account of seven winter months spent alone in a tent in Idaho guarding salmon eggs and coming face to face with the blunt realities of life as a contemporary mountain man. A gripping story of adventure and a modern-day Walden, this contemporary classic established Fromm.........

Last edited:
I frequently get male students who need to improve their reading--and the best way to do that is to read. I know nothing about sports, hunting, motorcycles and other engines, etc, and I don't read that stuff.
Keeping in mind their reading levels aren't real high, what are some really interesting books they might enjoy?

Please keep it clean.
Not sure the reading levels but I enjoy the Sharpe Series by Bernard Cornwall about the Napoleanic wars- lots of fighting and history.

Please keep it clean.

I got one. Takes a LOT to get me to read literature for just enjoyment. This guy went to school with my wife and several of the BLM/Forestry people that worked with him were my dorm mates at Florida. I've trailed thru the land he describes up in Idaho with my college "tree/wild life"" huggers..

It's funny, and well written...

Indian Creek Chronicles: A Winter Alone in the Wilderness by Pete Fromm

Winner of the Pacific Northwest Booksellers Association Book Award, Indian Creek Chronicles is Pete Fromm's account of seven winter months spent alone in a tent in Idaho guarding salmon eggs and coming face to face with the blunt realities of life as a contemporary mountain man. A gripping story of adventure and a modern-day Walden, this contemporary classic established Fromm.........

If I recall -- he didn't pass the winter "in a tent" up there. Reviewer didn't read the book. :777: And has no idea of the survival rate of folks "passing the Idaho Wilderness winters" in a tent. Or maybe i read it too long ago.

Here are a few of my favorites...

Call of the wild - Jack London
Transfer of Power - Vince Flynn
Killing Floor - Lee Child
Enders Game - Orson Scott Card
Childhoods End- Arthur C Clarke
Foundation Series - Isaac Asimov
Dragonriders of Pern Series - Ann McCaffery
Cannery Row - John Steinbeck
Drizzt Series - R. A. Salvatore
Hyperion Series - Dan Simmons

Please keep it clean.
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance - Wikipedia

Forum List

Back