Goldwater-- Mr. Conservative

Discussion in 'Politics' started by rtwngAvngr, Nov 8, 2006.

1. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    I saw this thing on Goldwater. It was awesome. He was the man. HE was a real conservative. We should have nuked the communists. We should have resisted the internationalists. There is a rights issue regarding the civil rights act. When we lost the right to discriminate against race, we lost the right to discriminate in general, for other perhaps valid reasons. "We reserve the right to refuse service to Jihadis". WIll this hold up in court? we's just lost control of our own businesses and property.

Goldwater was right.

Who here remembers him? Come on, you old people, serve your function. What was the climate like during his run for pres?

2. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/b/barry_goldwater.html

Barry Goldwater

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.
    Barry Goldwater

A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away.
    Barry Goldwater

American business has just forgotten the importance of selling.
    Barry Goldwater

Equality, rightly understood as our founding fathers understood it, leads to liberty and to the emancipation of creative differences; wrongly understood, as it has been so tragically in our time, it leads first to conformity and then to despotism.
    Barry Goldwater

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. And moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.
    Barry Goldwater

Hubert Humphrey talks so fast that listening to him is like trying to read Playboy magazine with your wife turning the pages.
    Barry Goldwater

I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle.
    Barry Goldwater

I think any man in business would be foolish to fool around with his secretary. If it's somebody else's secretary, fine.
    Barry Goldwater

I will offer a choice, not an echo.
    Barry Goldwater

I won't say that the papers misquote me, but I sometimes wonder where Christianity would be today if some of those reporters had been Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.
    Barry Goldwater

I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.
    Barry Goldwater

I wouldn't trust Nixon from here to that phone.
    Barry Goldwater

If everybody in this town connected with politics had to leave town because of chasing women and drinking, you would have no government.
    Barry Goldwater

If you don't mind smelling like peanut butter for two or three days, peanut butter is darn good shaving cream.
    Barry Goldwater

It's a great country, where anybody can grow up to be president... except me.
    Barry Goldwater

Nixon was the most dishonest individual I have ever met in my life. He lied to his wife, his family, his friends, his colleagues in the Congress, lifetime members of his own political party, the American people and the world.
    Barry Goldwater

Remember that a government big enough to give you everything you want is also big enough to take away everything you have.
    Barry Goldwater

The income tax created more criminals than any other single act of government.
    Barry Goldwater

The only summit meeting that can succeed is the one that does not take place.
    Barry Goldwater

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable.
    Barry Goldwater

To insist on strength is not war-mongering. It is peace-mongering.
    Barry Goldwater

We cannot allow the American flag to be shot at anywhere on earth if we are to retain our respect and prestige.
    Barry Goldwater

When I'm not a politician, I'll be dead.
    Barry Goldwater

Where is the politician who has not promised to fight to the death for lower taxes- and who has not proceeded to vote for the very spending projects that make tax cuts impossible?
    Barry Goldwater

You don't have to be straight to be in the military; you just have to be able to shoot straight.
    Barry Goldwater

You've got to forget about this civilian. Whenever you drop bombs, you're going to hit civilians.
    Barry Goldwater

3. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +618
    I was too young to vote back then. I was also surrounded by democrats and I pretty much thought I was one. Again, I was young. We had just seen JFK and for me he was what being a democrat was all about.

That sums it up well I think. I recall many folks thought he was a kook. That was the climate I remember.

4. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511

He must be. cuz I like him a lot. I saw this speech and we was talking about "the internationalists" and stuff. He had me at that point.

"You had me at 'internationalists'"

5. theHawk

theHawk Registered Conservative

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,739
    LOL.

IMO us conservatives are in a small minority and declining thanks to the liberal propaganda machine. We'll never get anyone like Goldwater again.

6. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Nah, the conservative movement is still alive and well. The problem is that it's quite nearly dead in Washington (it's doing quite well here in the Deep South, though).

7. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    We need a new ideological leader. We should go back to Goldwater. We are a new generation. He was uttering the wisdom of survival, and our baby boomer parents were guilted into turning their backs on him.

We need a revolution. I proclaim a new era of Goldwater Conservatism.

8. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    Ive read up on Barry Goldwater and he is a true blue Conservative. MY boss's father is 68 years old and he remembers when he ran. He said he loved everything the guy said but that Goldwater scared the crap out of people because he hit so close to home on so many things and thats why he never won.

I believe Santorum was a softer Goldwater. Santorum could speak to the people and never waivered in his conservative principles. Someone like him or Tancredo could be the heir apparent but i doubt we will ever see them rise because of the "moderate" wing of the Republican party. IT would have to be from a 3rd party like the Libertarians or something else.

9. theHawk

theHawk Registered Conservative

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,739

*GASP*, I thought you "hated" Jews!!

:p:

10. Mr.Conley

Mr.Conley Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Uhh... what's this bit about using the nukes supposed to mean?