Going to give Apple a try.

I've been a windows user from the beginning,but after going through three mid range laptops in just over a year and having iphones that never fail I've decided to go to the dark side. Or the hipster side as it were.
Any advice from MacBook Pro users on making the switch a little less painful?

Please switch to Apple. The Millennial cycle will be complete.

You're not calling me a millennial I hope.
If you are acting like one yes I am.

Hmmmm....care to explain?
No I will not explain why you are acting like one. The is on you.

I've been a windows user from the beginning,but after going through three mid range laptops in just over a year and having iphones that never fail I've decided to go to the dark side. Or the hipster side as it were.
Any advice from MacBook Pro users on making the switch a little less painful?

Please switch to Apple. The Millennial cycle will be complete.

You're not calling me a millennial I hope.
If you are acting like one yes I am.

Hmmmm....care to explain?
No I will not explain why you are acting like one. The is on you.

Who the hell is "The" and how do I get em off me?

This isn´t a point. Not MS but the manufacturer delivers Windows 8 with the computer. They also could offer the computer without any OS, as well.
Yesterday I heard on the news that Windows 10 will be their last OS and it will be cloud or something computing from then on.
It is something about a change to a Windows OS that continuously receives small updates but no major update like from 8 to 10. I don´t like the thought of an OS that is always unfinished.

There is always open source software and OS's. We don't need Microsoft and the "cloud" is going to end up costing a fortune. It already does in Japan. You don't buy your software in Japan you lease it from the cloud, your work is stored on the cloud and you pay to access it.

I'll stay with my open source, thank you.

Ran into a boatload of frustration. Trying to hackentosh the wifes' old laptop, finally discovered iboot (et. al.) will not work with grubloader. Okay, delete the hard drive, right........ I've tried 3 different listed approaches....... none will work, no additional answers at Tonymac.
At this point I'm thinking I'll have to buy a new hard drive. :bang3:

Ran into a boatload of frustration. Trying to hackentosh the wifes' old laptop, finally discovered iboot (et. al.) will not work with grubloader. Okay, delete the hard drive, right........ I've tried 3 different listed approaches....... none will work, no additional answers at Tonymac.
What laptop, is it on the compatibility list? Why use grubloader? Can you reformat the drive?
FAQ READ FIRST Laptop Frequent Questions

What laptop, is it on the compatibility list? Why use grubloader? Can you reformat the drive?
It's an old Dell Inspiron 1705E and yes it's been done already, just the guy who did it didn't say how but that's not the problem. The reason it's grubloader is it has Linux Mint 17 on it. I've tried reformating, tried dban, tried deleting via gparted, tried wiping it in Terminal (all covered online in how to wipe the hard drive. Maybe I'll try a dd command but I don't know if that will do what I want, basically all it does is fill the hd with 0s rendering the OS unusable.

It's an old Dell Inspiron 1705E and yes it's been done already, just the guy who did it didn't say how but that's not the problem. The reason it's grubloader is it has Linux Mint 17 on it. I've tried reformating, tried dban, tried deleting via gparted, tried wiping it in Terminal (all covered online in how to wipe the hard drive. Maybe I'll try a dd command but I don't know if that will do what I want, basically all it does is fill the hd with 0s rendering the OS unusable.
That is what you should try. You can use Part Magic loaded from stick and do a Secure Erase.

That is what you should try. You can use Part Magic loaded from stick and do a Secure Erase.
Damn it! Went to Wally World already today, forgot to put "thumb drive" on my shopping list. :mad-61:

Damn it! Went to Wally World already today, forgot to put "thumb drive" on my shopping list. :mad-61:
If you didn't have a USB drive, how did you try to install OS X? You were supposed to load the Mac OS X installer, Unibeast and Multibeast on the USB and boot from that to install Mac OS X on a Hackintosh.

UniBeast Install OS X Yosemite on Any Supported Intel-based PC

If you didn't have a USB drive, how did you try to install OS X? You were supposed to load the Mac OS X installer, Unibeast and Multibeast on the USB and boot from that to install Mac OS X on a Hackintosh.

Tried from a DVD, it said either or. I had DVDs on hand so I used em...... :dunno:
Checked with Tonymac and they said it won't work if Linux is on the machine, the HD has to be blank or have Windows on it.

Tried from a DVD, it said either or. I had DVDs on hand so I used em...... :dunno:
Checked with Tonymac and they said it won't work if Linux is on the machine, the HD has to be blank or have Windows on it.
When you boot from Unibeast, and start the OS X installer, use Disk Utility to format and partition the drive. You can reinstall Linux and/or Windows afterwards.

When you boot from Unibeast, and start the OS X installer, use Disk Utility to format and partition the drive. You can reinstall Linux and/or Windows afterwards.
I haven't tried Unibeast. The only reason I'll put any other OS back on that machine is if OS X doesn't work all that well.

Only directly related...

Keep an eye on what Apple's doing with the iPod. The orphan child seems to be in for a remake that'll it make it a non-cell phone iPhone. Wi-Fi only but with a powerful new processor and sharp screen that will close to turning it into a sub-mini tablet. Apple's audio quality has been declining as it figures out that the "listen while running" market will accept lower sound quality but, once the run is done, is using the iPod more as a visual device. Objective may be to create an "entry level" tablet that does a lot but not too much and costs cheap.

We'll know soon.

I haven't tried Unibeast. The only reason I'll put any other OS back on that machine is if OS X doesn't work all that well.
Your install disk must contain Unibeast, Multibeast and the OS X installer. Follow the guide. I installed OS X on a HP ProBook and all I had to change was the WiFi card to a Mac approved card which I found on eBay for under $10 shipped.

Your install disk must contain Unibeast, Multibeast and the OS X installer. Follow the guide. I installed OS X on a HP ProBook and all I had to change was the WiFi card to a Mac approved card which I found on eBay for under $10 shipped.
Maybe I'm misreading. From what I've read the old Dell will only take Snow Leopard but to my knowledge no one has tried any other version. With Snow Leopard ya need iboot, put iboot in, reboot and at the prompt take iboot out, configure bios then put in the OS X disc and load.

Maybe I'm misreading. From what I've read the old Dell will only take Snow Leopard but to my knowledge no one has tried any other version. With Snow Leopard ya need iboot, put iboot in, reboot and at the prompt take iboot out, configure bios then put in the OS X disc and load.
It was probably an old post. I think you have a core duo or core2duo which should at least support Mountain Lion, OS X 10.8 if it is 64 bit. Give UniBeast and MultiBeast a chance even with Snow Leopard.

Forum List

Back