God Hates Cowards

Should the Churches advocate for and against party platform planks?

• Yes, it would be nice to know which party policies the church favors

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • No, it's mixing church and state

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Yes, it's simple free speech

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • No, the IRS states that no taxes = no political influence.

Votes: 10 35.7%

• Total voters
Serious students of history see the great peril in allowing churches to have too big a role in secular government. History is filled with horrific examples of religious terror and it always starts small and works up to things like the Taliban, I know that extreme example is Islam but a hell of a lot of people have been murdered in the name of Jesus Christ, a hell of a lot of now vanished governments have been brought to ruin by letting the preachers run things, forgive us if we don't take your word that it won't happen again this time.

Yes even to the point of having the romans crucify Jesus.
The accepted church of the day WAS who got the Romans to crucify christ. They even chose to free Barabus over Jesus.

Not to mention the crusades and a hundred years of war in the reformation. Many self described Christians today would welcome another holy war with Islam (as long the chickenhawk MFs didn't have to actually fight and die for Jesus).

I don't understand why religious organizations get tax exemptions anyway. If Republicans were really serious about the deficit, they would go after Religion instead of Big Bird. What Big Bird cost us is a drop in the bucket to what Religion costs us money wise.

I wanted to vote for 2 AND 4.

But I think the IRS should be ruthless and aggressive with their rule. It would help pay the deficit and ease cuts.

Churches are free to Preach all they want. They just can't continue to claim tax Exempt status if they do.

Actually the law specifically states that they can't advocate for a "candidate". My OP says that the church should advocate more for "party policies" and not specific candidates. Both parties have good & bad policies to speak to.

All I want them to say is, that "on the whole, I believe that the ____ party policies are more in keeping with church teaching".

The definition of a sheep is needing to be led. The law is clear.

Serious students of history see the great peril in allowing churches to have too big a role in secular government. History is filled with horrific examples of religious terror and it always starts small and works up to things like the Taliban, I know that extreme example is Islam but a hell of a lot of people have been murdered in the name of Jesus Christ, a hell of a lot of now vanished governments have been brought to ruin by letting the preachers run things, forgive us if we don't take your word that it won't happen again this time.

So from my perspective, we're supposed to abandon the field to the atheists who claim "separation of church and state" when actually they are advocating for, and implementing atheistic policies. IMHO atheism is a religion, its the "null" set, but a religion just the same.

We as a country used to have the "In God We Trust" mindset. If you can't objectively see policies, such as forcing the church to pay for abortions, as violating their religious rights, then you must be blinded by partisanship.

I can say that your post is more toward the government implementing policies like China's "one child policy", by force, i.e. forced abortions.

As opposed to letting the government, and those who bribe the DC whores, having free rein to buy any policy that they want to buy?? You need to consider what "freedom of religion" actually means.

What kind of answer is that? Does any mortal man have the right to weigh God's judgement as to what is the most important? Simply answer the question.

I answered it. The "mortal" atheists who bribe the DC whores currently buy the right to tell us what parts of our religions we can and cannot practice. What don't you understand? Its a simple answer.

That is no answer, it's a dodge.
Is taking care of the poor more important than being against gay marriage? Is being against any type of contraception more important than being against pollution? Get where I am coming from?
Now to common man, some issues are more important than others, but what does God think? Who among us, has the right to judge what political issues are more important to God? Really, does any mortal man have that right?
The answer is clearly NO!

Churches are free to Preach all they want. They just can't continue to claim tax Exempt status if they do.

Actually the law specifically states that they can't advocate for a "candidate". My OP says that the church should advocate more for "party policies" and not specific candidates. Both parties have good & bad policies to speak to.

All I want them to say is, that "on the whole, I believe that the ____ party policies are more in keeping with church teaching".

The definition of a sheep is needing to be led. The law is clear.

Read up on the "Law". It was one of LBJ's bullshit ideas. It can and should be changed.
The History of The Johnson Amendment of 1954

So from my perspective, we're supposed to abandon the field to the atheists who claim "separation of church and state" when actually they are advocating for, and implementing atheistic policies. IMHO atheism is a religion, its the "null" set, but a religion just the same.

We as a country used to have the "In God We Trust" mindset. If you can't objectively see policies, such as forcing the church to pay for abortions, as violating their religious rights, then you must be blinded by partisanship.

I can say that your post is more toward the government implementing policies like China's "one child policy", by force, i.e. forced abortions.

What you should do is honor the spirit of the constitution and quit trying to make conservative Christianity the default religion of the American government. The only way to promote religious freedom in this country is to promote none of them and never allow narrow-minded religious dogma anywhere near the secular affairs of the government.

When the government actively promotes atheism, and the Bishops and Evangelicals cower in their pulpits, who is left to speak for those who attend church regularly, and contribute to their churches? WTF are they doing with those contributions? I have yet to see one pro-life commercial, or in favor of traditional marriage, or promoting general religious freedom, and more specifically those policies that hinder religious freedom.

The churches can't recommend candidates, but they surly can advocate for one party's policies over another's.

The churches are not to pick between candidates, but to advocate for policies.

Lets vote on "free speech" from the pulpits.

Church + Any type of politics/Any politics of any kind = Tax exemption go bye bye.

The point of separation of the church and state is to SEPARATE THEM!
"Freedom of speech" is not of concern when they are willingly complying to the guidelines of the tax exemption privilege since it was their choice.

I agree with the OP in a sense.
Let the churches do their thing and lose the tax exemption status.

NASA needs a bigger budget.
We need to spend more where it counts
ETC

Churches seem to get picked on all the time while other organizations are let off the hook by the left no matter what they do.

ACORN is tax exempt and there is no doubt which party they shill for. They are clearly Democrat and they seek to register Democrats every election year and even got caught cheating numerous times. They've also hosted political gatherings for Democrats and donate to campaigns. ACORN also came to the rescue when Obama was vilifying the wealth AIG and sent bus tours to the execs' homes so the Obama supporters could point, yell and harass the execs and their families. There is also a video tape of Obama talking to a group of ACORN employees and he told them they would play a vital role in his administration.

AARP is tax exempt despite supporting the Democrats on the health care debacle. The AARP chief donated heavily to Obama's campaign. Didn't they run ads supporting many of Obama's policies? And the money used is from their paid memberships.

TaxProf Blog: Grassley Questions ACORN's Tax-Exempt Status
ACORN renamed, still claiming tax exemptions
AARP Tax Exemption Report at Center of Contentious Capitol Hill Hearing | Fox News
'Meet Mike' event tonight at Acorn - South Bend Tribune
Judicial Watch Obtains New FBI Documents Regarding ACORN Voter Fraud Investigation | Judicial Watch
New AARP chief gave big to Obama - The Hill - covering Congress, Politics, Political Campaigns and Capitol Hill | TheHill.com

Last edited:
I don't understand why religious organizations get tax exemptions anyway. If Republicans were really serious about the deficit, they would go after Religion instead of Big Bird. What Big Bird cost us is a drop in the bucket to what Religion costs us money wise.

I wanted to vote for 2 AND 4.

But I think the IRS should be ruthless and aggressive with their rule. It would help pay the deficit and ease cuts.

Religion, ignorance, and stupidity is what drives the modern republican party and their only demographic, the religious demographic. (Christianity in particular).
Also, they are for cuts anyway because of personal business ties and such. Like mittens. Look at his top 10 contributors. All corps.
And look at Obama's top 10. It doesn't exactly exist because they don't accept donations from corps.

Its a fact. Just look at current law.

Is taking care of the poor more important than being against gay marriage?
We can do both, very effectively.

Is being against any type of contraception more important than being against pollution? Get where I am coming from?
We're not against contraception, we're against the government paying for it with our tax dollars. The EPA and State Env agencies regulate pollution policies.

Now to common man, some issues are more important than others, but what does God think? Who among us, has the right to judge what political issues are more important to God? Really, does any mortal man have that right?

You defeated your own argument. Left to its own devices government always becomes tyrannical. Its only the values fostered by long held religious beliefs that serve as the compass to keep government policies from becoming vicious over time. Remember when the FBI sent kill squads to Ruby Ridge and Waco? Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Churches seem to get picked on all the time while other organizations are let off the hook by the left no matter what they do.

ACORN is tax exempt and there is no doubt which party they shill for. They are clearly Democrat and they seek to register Democrats every election year and even got caught cheating numerous times. They've also hosted political gatherings for Democrats and donate to campaigns. ACORN also came to the rescue when Obama was vilifying the wealth AIG and sent bus tours to the execs' homes so the Obama supporters could point, yell and harass the execs and their families. There is also a video tape of Obama talking to a group of ACORN employees and he told them they would play a vital role in his administration.

AARP is tax exempt despite supporting the Democrats on the health care debacle. The AARP chief donated heavily to Obama's campaign. Didn't they run ads supporting many of Obama's policies? And the money used is from their paid memberships.

AARP Tax Exemption Report at Center of Contentious Capitol Hill Hearing | Fox News
Judicial Watch Obtains New FBI Documents Regarding ACORN Voter Fraud Investigation | Judicial Watch
New AARP chief gave big to Obama - The Hill - covering Congress, Politics, Political Campaigns and Capitol Hill | TheHill.com

American Crossroads is tax exempt and ACORN was murdered by the republicans, do you have a point?

are they charitable organizations?

Organizations described in section 501(c)(3) are commonly referred to as charitable organizations. Organizations described in section 501(c)(3), other than testing for public safety organizations, are eligible to receive tax-deductible contributions in accordance with Code section 170.

Here's the deal, it ain't up to religious groups. Don't blame organized religion because the Country is going to hell in a handbasket, look at the people who caused it. The ACLU will make a small municipality wish they never tried to put that Christmas tree up when they are faced with high powered lawyers backed by the democrat party armed with a series of lawsuits that will bankrupt them. Why is the radical left so hysterical about the concept of Tea Party people working within the system to get the best people who will promote respect for the 1st Amendment and freedom of religion? It's the democrat left's constant assault on organized Christian religions.

Its a fact. Just look at current law.

Is taking care of the poor more important than being against gay marriage?
We can do both, very effectively. You could focus on one and get the job done

Is being against any type of contraception more important than being against pollution? Get where I am coming from?
We're not against contraception, we're against the government paying for it with our tax dollars. The EPA and State Env agencies regulate pollution policies. Contraception is not just used for preventing pregnancies, but it also plays a role in numerous of health reasons that don't involve sex or sperm, etc.

You defeated your own argument. Left to its own devices government always becomes tyrannical. Its only the values fostered by long held religious beliefs that serve as the compass to keep government policies from becoming vicious over time. Remember when the FBI sent kill squads to Ruby Ridge and Waco? Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

^

Here's the deal, it ain't up to religious groups. Don't blame organized religion because the Country is going to hell in a handbasket, look at the people who caused it. The ACLU will make a small municipality wish they never tried to put that Christmas tree up when they are faced with high powered lawyers backed by the democrat party armed with a series of lawsuits that will bankrupt them. Why is the radical left so hysterical about the concept of Tea Party people working within the system to get the best people who will promote respect for the 1st Amendment and freedom of religion? It's the democrat left's constant assault on organized Christian religions.

the bolded is to highlight that phrase.

The underlining is to show the correlation.

It might be because Christians, if allowed to rule unopposed would draft a law code that closely resembles the book of Leviticus, no greater threat to liberty exists than a religious fanatic with a secular agenda.

Forum List

Back