God Hates Cowards

Should the Churches advocate for and against party platform planks?

• Yes, it would be nice to know which party policies the church favors

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • No, it's mixing church and state

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Yes, it's simple free speech

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • No, the IRS states that no taxes = no political influence.

Votes: 10 35.7%

• Total voters
Churches are free to Preach all they want. They just can't continue to claim tax Exempt status if they do.

Actually the law specifically states that they can't advocate for a "candidate". My OP says that the church should advocate more for "party policies" and not specific candidates. Both parties have good & bad policies to speak to.

All I want them to say is, that "on the whole, I believe that the ____ party policies are more in keeping with church teaching".

Correct, they can't Endorse and Campaign for specific Candidates while claiming Tax Exempt Status.

I think they would be crossing into a Grey Area if they specifically mention party as well. If they come out and say support the Republicans, it is pretty much the same as saying vote for Romney. But they don't have to anyways, They can simply say support the Candidate who supports theses (fill in the blank) Policies, and the people should be able to know which party that is.

I wanted to vote for 2 AND 4.

But I think the IRS should be ruthless and aggressive with their rule. It would help pay the deficit and ease cuts.

It would cut the money for the huge services that churches provide - with no cost to you. Moron.

I wanted to vote for 2 AND 4.

But I think the IRS should be ruthless and aggressive with their rule. It would help pay the deficit and ease cuts.

It would cut the money for the huge services that churches provide - with no cost to you. Moron.

Exactly.

Make them choose in the situation.

What would they rather do?
Practice their beliefs and try to do good? Or go into politics for their self benefit of spreading religion, infringing on the rights and liberties of others while waisting tax dollars?

It's their choice on the matter. You don't get both.

So from my perspective, we're supposed to abandon the field to the atheists who claim "separation of church and state" when actually they are advocating for, and implementing atheistic policies. IMHO atheism is a religion, its the "null" set, but a religion just the same.

We as a country used to have the "In God We Trust" mindset. If you can't objectively see policies, such as forcing the church to pay for abortions, as violating their religious rights, then you must be blinded by partisanship.

I can say that your post is more toward the government implementing policies like China's "one child policy", by force, i.e. forced abortions.

What you should do is honor the spirit of the constitution and quit trying to make conservative Christianity the default religion of the American government. The only way to promote religious freedom in this country is to promote none of them and never allow narrow-minded religious dogma anywhere near the secular affairs of the government.

Its a democracy. Majority rules, or should rule. I'm not advocating for the churches to advocate for or against all secular policies, but certain policies directly affect certain beliefs, such as abortion being murder of a human life. The churches should be allowed to advocate for or against specific policies that affect their deeply held religious beliefs.

If by 'it's a democracy' you are referring to the United States, then... no, it is not. It is a Republic.

And... no one 'allows' the churches.... they are not within the remit of the government, or anyone else to 'allow'.

Many churches advocate specific positions.

However when I sit in a pew, the last thing I want is a political lecture from my priest. Also, church attendance is in decline, so I'm not sure if alienating half your congregation is a good idea.

When the pastor at the church I had been attending had his sermon on the traditional family, he went beyond advocating for the traditional family and went into the "God created Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve" homophobic rant, at which point I left and have not returned. My girlfriend liked this church but understood my issue with it, so now I am heading back to the UCC.

For me, I want to know what my church thinks. If their beliefs are not in line with mine, then I will look for a church that has beliefs similar to mine.

Many churches advocate specific positions.

However when I sit in a pew, the last thing I want is a political lecture from my priest. Also, church attendance is in decline, so I'm not sure if alienating half your congregation is a good idea.

When the pastor at the church I had been attending had his sermon on the traditional family, he went beyond advocating for the traditional family and went into the "God created Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve" homophobic rant, at which point I left and have not returned. My girlfriend liked this church but understood my issue with it, so now I am heading back to the UCC.

For me, I want to know what my church thinks. If their beliefs are not in line with mine, then I will look for a church that has beliefs similar to mine.

My mother in law had a similar issue with her church. They changed pastors, the new pastor was a former Cathloic priest who left the church to marry. He is very old school type of man, who prefers to rant about Gods wrath and all the sinners, rather than his love. She left, and found a different church.

Forum List

Back