Global warming over the last 16 years

Westwall -

It's interesting that you demand scientists display integrity and honety in their research findings - but refuse to do so yourself.

Here once again we see that you are presented with solid evidence in the form of two different polls conducted by different independent organisations - and reject both in favour of blind faith.

You are wrong, you clearly know that you are wrong, and anyone who looks at the research will see that you are wrong. But admitting it is apparently beyond you.

How about the polls that show otherwise? I notice that you, the great paragon of virtue...not, ignore those....why is that?

Thanks for playing but you have zero credibility. You're not quite as bad as truthiness but you're getting close.

BTW why the MI-8 in your avi?

Last edited:
Westwall -

You have not presented any polls which back your position. I strongly doubt any credible ones exist.

I have looked at a half dozen pieces of international research from credible sources (Pew, Gallup, BBC, Yale etc) and they all show broadly similar results. Check, and if you are being honest with yourself, you will find the same thing.

I can present more polls & evidence, but it seems fairly clear that you will ignore any and all evidence which does not say what you want it to say.

(btw. My avatar is a pick I took in Azerbaijan when I was writing about the disputed Nagorno-Karabakh region.)

Last edited:
I got nothing from Skeptical Science, but since you condemn them they must be honest and I will be sure to check them out.

Of course you did, including your bogus dates.

But thank you for confirming that Spencer did not correct his errors until 2005 even though Wentz published in 1998. BTW, Watt's Up With That has less credibility than you!

Wentz may have published something in 1998, but not the corrections at issue. Those errors were published in a paper titled The effect of diurnal correction on satellite-derived lower tropospheric temperature published online in Science August 2005. The corrections were in print within 3 months of Wentz bringing the errors to their attention.

Published Online August 11 2005
Science 2 September 2005:
Vol. 309 no. 5740 pp. 1548-1551
DOI: 10.1126/science.1114772

The Effect of Diurnal Correction on Satellite-Derived Lower Tropospheric Temperature

Carl A. Mears,
Frank J. Wentz

The Effect of Diurnal Correction on Satellite-Derived Lower Tropospheric Temperature

You really should try to avoid shabby characters like those who run SS.

Last edited:
Who cares if the earth is a few degrees warmer?

We're not all gonna die because of it.

There are a lot more pressing things to worry about than warmer weather,

Who cares if the earth is a few degrees warmer?

We're not all gonna die because of it.

There are a lot more pressing things to worry about than warmer weather,

They figured out that, if was even happening in the first place, warming was actually good, so they switched it to: Climate Change

Last edited:
Christy and Spencer refused to recheck their work, three guesses why and the first two don't count, forcing others to invest their time and money into checking their work.

Untrue...Spencer, while I don't agree with him as he is a believer in backradiaton did correct his work as soon as the error was pointed out to him.

The point is that the satellite data is being massaged because the satellite can no longer provide accurate data according to Spencer himself.
Again you are just making stuff up.

Spencer put out his cooked data in 1996 and by 1998 Wentz published his paper that said Spencer's error was due satellite drift. Spencer did nothing. In 2000 Prabhakara also found satellite drift errors. Spencer again did nothing. It was always outside sources who corrected Spencer's errors, Mears at RSS who corrected his drift errors which Spencer did not fully correct until 2005 and Qiang Fu of the University of Washington who came up with a method of removing the spurious stratospheric cooling as a result of the satellite drift, the Fu Method, which Spencer fought tooth and nail.

I got nothing from Skeptical Science, but since you condemn them they must be honest and I will be sure to check them out.

Of course you did, including your bogus dates.

But thank you for confirming that Spencer did not correct his errors until 2005 even though Wentz published in 1998. BTW, Watt's Up With That has less credibility than you!

Wentz may have published something in 1998, but not the corrections at issue. Those errors were published in a paper titled The effect of diurnal correction on satellite-derived lower tropospheric temperature published online in Science August 2005. The corrections were in print within 3 months of Wentz bringing the errors to their attention.

Published Online August 11 2005
Science 2 September 2005:
Vol. 309 no. 5740 pp. 1548-1551
DOI: 10.1126/science.1114772

Carl A. Mears,
Frank J. Wentz

You really should try to avoid shabby characters like those who run SS.
The only shabby characters are you and Watts. I got no dates from the apparently stellar Skeptical Science web site, and you are again creating a Straw Man by changing what I said. The 1998 paper that first exposed Spencer's satellite drift errors was written by Wentz and Schabel not Wentz and Mears. As you so clearly have shown, Christy and Spencer did not fully correct their errors untin 2005 when Wentz and Mears along with Fu at the University of Washington did it for them!

Here is the 1998 paper from Wentz that I got from Nature, not Skeptical Science.

www.remss.com/papers/MSU_Nature_Article.pdf

You should know better than to trust anything from deniers like Watts Up With That.

The only shabby characters are you and Watts. I got no dates from the apparently stellar Skeptical Science web site, and you are again creating a Straw Man by changing what I said.

Of course you did. Don't worry though, I would be embarassed if I were caught hanging out in that cesspool too.

The 1998 paper that first exposed Spencer's satellite drift errors was written by Wentz and Schabel not Wentz and Mears.

And those issues were addressed in quick order as well. To claim that nothing was done is, again, just dishonest...

Corrected satellite data still disagree with Global Warming models

By
Dr. Roy Spencer
Senior Scientist for Climate Studies
NASA/Marshall Space Flight Center

14 August 1998

The paper published by Wentz and Schabel in Nature this week (August 14, 1998) is bound to generate controversy about the satellite measurements of global tropospheric temperatures. These measurements, for the period since 1979, have been made with the TIROS-N satellite Microwave Sounding Units (MSUs) by myself and Dr. John Christy (The University of Alabama in Huntsville). We are grateful to Wentz and Schabel for discovering the first convincing evidence for needed corrections to our satellite-based global temperatures.

However, we believe that there are a few important points that should be considered when reporting on this paper.

Bitterness, especially when you are wrong doesn't enhance your argument.

The only shabby characters are you and Watts. I got no dates from the apparently stellar Skeptical Science web site, and you are again creating a Straw Man by changing what I said.

Of course you did. Don't worry though, I would be embarassed if I were caught hanging out in that cesspool too.

The 1998 paper that first exposed Spencer's satellite drift errors was written by Wentz and Schabel not Wentz and Mears.

And those issues were addressed in quick order as well. To claim that nothing was done is, again, just dishonest...

Corrected satellite data still disagree with Global Warming models

By
Dr. Roy Spencer
Senior Scientist for Climate Studies
NASA/Marshall Space Flight Center

14 August 1998

The paper published by Wentz and Schabel in Nature this week (August 14, 1998) is bound to generate controversy about the satellite measurements of global tropospheric temperatures. These measurements, for the period since 1979, have been made with the TIROS-N satellite Microwave Sounding Units (MSUs) by myself and Dr. John Christy (The University of Alabama in Huntsville). We are grateful to Wentz and Schabel for discovering the first convincing evidence for needed corrections to our satellite-based global temperatures.

However, we believe that there are a few important points that should be considered when reporting on this paper.
Bitterness, especially when you are wrong doesn't enhance your argument.
As your quote hints at where you cut it off, Spencer did not accept the proven accurate Wentz and Schabel corrections. Spencer and Christy had to be forced kicking and screaming to correct their work. In 1998 their token correction for show only was well below Wentz and Schabel's correction and they were still claiming global cooling. It took them until 2005 and three other papers by other scientists to get them to fully correct their work!

Weather balloon trend (Angell/NOAA) -0.07 deg. C/decade
Unadjusted satellite trend: -0.04 deg. C/decade
Weather balloon trend
(Parker, UK Met Office): -0.02 deg. C/decade
Our Adjusted Satellite Trend: -0.01 deg. C/decade
Wentz-estimated adjusted satellite trend: +0.08 deg. C/decade

Last edited:
Weather balloon trend

As the past decade and a half + of flat temperatures have shown, Wentz was wrong.

SSDD -

Dismissing all science as being "altered" doesn't actually count for much, nor does it add anything to the debate.

At the point you can explain quite why and how university researchers right around the world are "altering" their research, you might have a point. Until then - you're just burying you head in the sand.

To muster a credible case, you'd also have to establish that any data altered had been done so maliciously, and not simply to improve the accuracy of results - something I think we can assume you don't seriously believe yourself.

Last edited:
Weather balloon trend

As the past decade and a half + of flat temperatures have shown, Wentz was wrong.
That paper went up to 1998, so how could it be wrong about what happened after 1998?????

Again we see the complete stupidity of the Misinformation Voter!!!!!!!

That paper went up to 1998, so how could it be wrong about what happened after 1998?????

The trend according to you guys is still positive... You are right, the misinformation is staggering.

SSDD -

Dismissing all science as being "altered" doesn't actually count for much, nor does it add anything to the debate. {/quote]

I am not dismissing all science as altered...but the global record has been altered. It is unarguable.

At the point you can explain quite why and how university researchers right around the world are "altering" their research, you might have a point. Until then - you're just burying you head in the sand.

7 billion dollars a year just from the US and rock star status. And again, I am not suggesting a concerted conspiracy...just a plain old run of the mill error cascade.

To muster a credible case, you'd also have to establish that any data altered had been done so maliciously, and not simply to improve the accuracy of results - something I think we can assume you don't seriously believe yourself.

I asked you to give me a reasonable scientific explanation as to why 739 months prior to 1960 have been systematically cooled and 570 months since 1958 have been systematically warmed. Did you think of a credible reason such alterations might have happened?

What possible mathematical reason could there be for cooling the past...and not just the past, the record prior to 1960 if not to make the present appear warmer?

I don't expect you to change your mind. You have obviously consumed the coolaid. The wheels are falling off and if you can look past your bias, you will see that the big rats are positioning themselves for an exit from the AGW bandwagon with some hope of a post AGW career intact.

Last edited:

The ten hottest years on record:

According to which altered record?
Weather balloon trend

The trend according to you guys is still positive... You are right, the misinformation is staggering.
First you said Wentz was wrong, when that lie was exposed you now invent "you guys" to cover your lie. The trend has been flat at an ELEVATED level.

temperature_gis_2012.png

Scientists at NASA’s Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS) say 2012 was the ninth warmest year since 1880, continuing a long-term trend of rising global temperatures. The ten warmest years in the 132-year record have all occurred since 1998. The last year that was cooler than average was 1976.

The map at the top depicts temperature anomalies, or changes, by region in 2012; it does not show absolute temperature. Reds and blues show how much warmer or cooler each area was in 2012 compared to an averaged base period from 1951–1980. For more explanation of how the analysis works, read World of Change: Global Temperatures.

The average temperature in 2012 was about 14.6 degrees Celsius (58.3 degrees Fahrenheit), which is 0.55°C (1.0°F) warmer than the mid-20th century base period. The average global temperature has increased 0.8°C (1.4°F) since 1880, and most of that change has occurred in the past four decades.

The line plot above shows yearly temperature anomalies from 1880 to 2011 as recorded by NASA GISS, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) National Climatic Data Center, the Japanese Meteorological Agency, and the Met Office Hadley Centre in the United Kingdom. All four institutions tally temperature data from stations around the world and make independent judgments about whether the year was warm or cool compared to other years. Though there are minor variations from year to year, all four records show peaks and valleys in sync with each other. All show rapid warming in the past few decades, and all show the last decade as the warmest.

Last edited:
edthecynic;6728293 Scientists at NASA’s Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS) say 2012 was the ninth warmest year since 1880 said:
The ten warmest years in the 132-year record have all occurred since 1998. The last year that was cooler than average was 1976.[/B]

NASA and GISS says? Funny, those are the same guys who are responsible for these....and you believe them. You will believe anything won't you? I have some beach front property in Albuquerque that you can buy for a song.....interested?

6a010536b58035970c0147e267018f970b-pi

6a010536b58035970c0168e87ab474970c-pi

6a010536b58035970c01676097cc20970b-pi

6a010536b58035970c013488be7615970c-pi

6a010536b58035970c0128759ee244970c-pi

6a010536b58035970c013488be5493970c-pi

UAH_LT_1979_thru_Dec_2012_v5.51.png

warmers dont understand the difference between warm and warming. if you look at this graph of satellite lower troph temps you can see that there are two fairly constant levels separated by a large spike during the 1998 El Nino. temperatures are red noise not white noise. that means that this year's temps are influenced by last years temps, they are not just a random reading.

it is easy to make a case that almost all of the ~0.4 warming in the last 33 years happened at the El Nino. there has been basically no warming since, there was basically no warming before the El Nino. saying that the warmest 10 years have happened in the last decade and a half gives no evidence of warming because they have been spread out over the whole time.

SSDD -

Dismissing all science as being "altered" doesn't actually count for much, nor does it add anything to the debate.

:lol::lol::lol: There IS no debate wehen you are using falsified data silly person. When are you going to get that? In a court of law anyone found guilty of perjury is automatically ASSUMED to be a perjuror whenever they testify in court again, so no lawyer will EVER call a person as a witness who has been convicted of perjury.

The same holds true for the data manipulation that the AGW "scientists" have engaged in. Once they falsified the data THERE CAN BE NO DISCUSSION....they have ZERO credibility except to religious fanatics and fellow travellers.

Westwall -

Perhaps you could admit that your claims about only a tiny minority of people accepting that human acitivty plays a rle in climate change as being patently false so that we can move on.

btw, There has never been any suggestion by anyone, not on this board nor elsewhere, that the overwhelming majority of the world's climate monitoring facilities are run to the highest academic and ethical standards. It's just SSDD's way of ignoring science - all science.

Forum List

Back