Giving 'God' a bad name?

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Gurdari, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Gurdari

Gurdari Egaliterra

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Question for the more religious and the less religious people:

Do you feel many religious people give God (or at least their religion) a bad name by promoting ideas that make God seem petty, mean spirited, or prejudiced?

I'm asking in regards to your fellow citizens... have they 'hijacked' Christianity (for example)?

2. JeffWartman

JeffWartman Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I will say one thing -- NO ONE on this planet is as judgmental as hardcore Christians. NO ONE.

3. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,428
    I wouldn't lay that at the feet of "hardcore" Christians. I think fundamentalists of any stripe tend to be judgmental and there are certainly groups that express that in far more violent ways than Christians do.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Vintij

Vintij Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Well organized religion in general is scrutinized for its judement on non believers and vice versa. Though some religions have the right idea, i do believe that christians give christianity a bad name. If only they would actually follow what christianity is all about rather than not read a word of anything and go on believing what everyone tells them. In my opinion, christians are too easy to manipulate, and the 04 elections are proof. As well as the invasion of iraq.

Being Gay for instance, is a sin in the bible.....though homophobia and hate crimes are not, and many white bread middle american christians love to bash gays and then say its ok because its in the bible. Well its not, not even in the old king james version.

Revenge is another one, it says "eye for an eye" in the bible. But almost all christians will say, that means revenge when infact, based on scientific research of the old hebrew scriptures, it does'nt. It was based on material goods, it means trade good for goods, or if someone takes something from you, take the same thing back. Christians confuse this with the miracle of life and death. Like if someone bombs our country, then god makes it ok to kill thousands of innocent people in retaliation.

I mean there is nothing wrong with christianity, its just the uneducated christianity that gives religion a bad name.

Thats why i get frustrated with the majority of america, how they are manipulated from birth, grow up enclosed in a small town uneducated, and have the power to vote in whoever they want to lead the country based on values and morals from a bible they never read. I mean cmon, half the christians will even say the old testamen does'nt count because that was a more violent time in defense to some of the popes decisions to eliminate entire communitys!?!? THen turn around and quote the old testamen with "eye for an eye" lets nuke iran!!! Christians pick and choose the parts of the bible that relate to them. And defend those parts like nobody else, and when asked about the origins of the bible or the parts that are violent, they have no clue what your talking about.

Its just ridiculess.

5. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    As an evangelical Christian, I say that there are only a few people I think are "hijacking" the faith. The Gods-hates-fags church is one such group. Another group is the conservative Christians who can't untie conservative political policies from their faith (although I myself am both a political conservative and a Christian).

6. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    A majority of Americans
    ?

7. Vintij

Vintij Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +105

yea a MAJORITY, not california. Majority means 56 million americans who voted for Bush AGAIN, after he already fucked up.

Which means instead of learning from our mistakes, america votes for BUSH AGAIN because he said he knew how to get us out! Manipulation that worked right? Name one southern, conservative dominated state that john kerry won? Exactly, because he does not have "morals" like Mr bush does right?

8. LOki

LOki The Yaweh of Mischief

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +585
    Yes.

9. Scooter

Scooter Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27
    As a Catholic Christian, it seems to me that this is an accurate assesment.

My sense is that much of "real" Christianity is fairly revolutionary from a socio-political perspective and in fact quite lacking in judgement of others.

Previous input seems to focus on the Old Testament applications that fundamentalist Christian groups tend to get in trouble over. In reality, New Testament/Gospel teachings are what Christianity should be about.

10. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    You have no idea why people voted the way they did---with basically 2 choices, they chose Bush over Kerry. It may just mean they thought Kerry was more likely to make worse mistakes. Your psuedo-intellectualism is quite bigoted.