Give to the Red Cross, unless your name is Romney

Anyone who says that someone should be scorned for donating clothing and food to victims of national disaster should be flogged in the public square, if you ask me.

"And though it's been kept off the front pages, it ranks among the biggest charity frauds ever.

At the center of the scandal is Joseph Lecowitch, chief executive of the Hudson County Chapter, and his bookkeeper Catalina Escoto.

Escoto allegedly gave herself at least $75,000 in bonuses. All told, prosecutors say the duo stole well over $1 million in Red Cross funds, squandering it on gambling and each other. Escoto pleaded not guilty. Lecowitch died after he was indicted.

"The bookkeeping methods of Mr. Lecowitch and Ms. Escoto leave a lot to be desired," says prosecutor Michael D'Andrea.

The New Jersey fiasco, in which donations and government grants were all stolen, happened right under the nose of Red Cross headquarters. Critics say the reason the Red Cross has so little control over its chapters is that the chapters are pulling the strings: they collect most of the donations, dominate the national board and resist tighter controls by headquarters."

Disaster Strikes In Red Cross Backyard - CBS News
Yup. Crooked. Which explains the lefties' fanatical devotion to it.

"A report obtained by CBS News highlights some of the trends at local chapters:

"Payroll … inappropriate or incorrect"
"Financial reports ... are not prepared ... or are not accurate"
"Blank checks are accessible ..."
"National disaster contributions are not remitted to national headquarters ..."

"And though it's been kept off the front pages, it ranks among the biggest charity frauds ever.

At the center of the scandal is Joseph Lecowitch, chief executive of the Hudson County Chapter, and his bookkeeper Catalina Escoto.

Escoto allegedly gave herself at least $75,000 in bonuses. All told, prosecutors say the duo stole well over $1 million in Red Cross funds, squandering it on gambling and each other. Escoto pleaded not guilty. Lecowitch died after he was indicted.

"The bookkeeping methods of Mr. Lecowitch and Ms. Escoto leave a lot to be desired," says prosecutor Michael D'Andrea.

The New Jersey fiasco, in which donations and government grants were all stolen, happened right under the nose of Red Cross headquarters. Critics say the reason the Red Cross has so little control over its chapters is that the chapters are pulling the strings: they collect most of the donations, dominate the national board and resist tighter controls by headquarters."

Yup. Crooked. Which explains the lefties' fanatical devotion to it.

That link didn't work

All hail the Red Cross...make sure you send MONEY ONLY goddammit! Don't waste their time with actual ITEMS that victims of disaster might need!

r_1939608c-349x217.jpg

^^Chinese Red Cross worker.

One year after Red Cross scandal, Guo Meimei mocked by netizens | Asia News – Politics, Media, Education | Asian Correspondent

Money is what they need.

Not more water..food or clothing.

We got that covered.

They need everything they can get.

You and your compatriots can't even understand a simple statement of fact witout getting hysterical. For years the Red Cross has asked for Blood and Money which they can turn over as needed aid to disaster victims.

Romney's 'efforts' were in conflict with what everyone knows about disaster aid as clearly expressed in the video you posted. In this case you guys on the right are not simply stupid - as in most matters - but fully partisan tools of the Romney Defense Team. Romney is a phony, an empty suit and clearly needs sycophants and spin masters - sadly Windbag you're not the master of anything as your feeble attempts to spin Romney's behavior as humane and not political is indefensible.

One other point, you guys on the right want a balanced budget amendment and the government to only do what the Constitution expressly allows. Maybe the less dullards among you can now see how stupid that ideology is in the face of such devastation.

The Red Cross asked people not to send canned goods or clothing because it makes more work for their workers to sort and distribute it. They asked for money.

LMAO

American Red Cross Official Defends Fundraising Efforts | Fox News

Samuel Kille, senior director of public relations for American Red Cross' Metro New York chapter, said the organization sent $10 million of the $34 million it had raise

No one should give the Red Cross money.. they keep it for themselves..

You are so full of shit :eusa_hand:

The red cross does a lot of good, the fact that you feel the need to lie about them because they didn't want canned goods shows how petty you are.

I LIED????? I didn't write that story IDIOT.. lol

"American Red Cross
The do-gooders at the American Red Cross do a good job of spending your money when you donate. They manage to keep administrative expenses at less than 5% of their total overhead, and they spend 92.1% of their income on actual programs that benefit the community. Whether it's teacher CPR, or managing crisis during the aftermath of a disaster, the Red Cross puts your money to good use."

What Percentage of Donations Go to Charity

I recommend people call their local Red Cross chapter and find out how much it costs to take the classes they offer. Disaster management is handled by you local Office of Emergency Management and FEMA. Check out your local distaster plan because every county is required by law to have one.

LMAO

American Red Cross Official Defends Fundraising Efforts | Fox News

Samuel Kille, senior director of public relations for American Red Cross' Metro New York chapter, said the organization sent $10 million of the $34 million it had raise

No one should give the Red Cross money.. they keep it for themselves..

The red cross does a lot of good, the fact that you feel the need to lie about them because they didn't want canned goods shows how petty you are.

Yes, you lied.

And you, along with KG and the people at MSNBC should all be ashamed for attempting to make this a political issue.

Yes, you lied.

And you, along with KG and the people at MSNBC should all be ashamed for attempting to make this a political issue.

LOL You're hysterical, literally.. it's amusing! ;-)

The Red Cross loves cash. Oh that they do.

They love to pay themselves astonishing high wages you see. Ooooh ya! Jack shit to victims of disasters but they can line their pockets.

There's so many scandals out there with this *cough* charity. On the other hand, I guess the Red Cross really does believe that charity begins at home. Their home.

They rip off victims. Like in this story.

A wildfire in Alpine, just east of San Diego, destroyed homes, killed horses that panicked and ran into the fire, and injured one fireman. The Red Cross appealed for funds, and raised $400,000 for disaster relief. But months after the fire, little money had gone to victims.

Some fire victims received a few hundred dollars, but they say when they asked where the rest of the money was going, they couldn't get straight answers from the Red Cross. So they complained to County Supervisor Diane Jacob.

"The fire victims in Alpine feel they've been used," said Jacob, who started demanding answers from the Red Cross.

This led to publicity, and only then did the San Diego Red Cross tell the public the truth: Of the more than $400,000 raised, only $159,000 — less than half — was spent on the relief effort.

Even worse, of the $159,000 that was to support the victims, $105,000 went to general chapter expenses and overhead, like upgrading the office phone system and Red Cross vehicles.

Commentary: More Red Cross Criticism - ABC News

Then you have the really high salaries they pay themselves. They pay themselves more than what they give to victims.

A Fair Salary?

San Diego Red Cross President Dodie Rotherham wouldn't talk to 20/20 either, but she did talk to Mark Matthews, who works for ABCNEWS' San Diego affiliate.

He asked her about her salary. She said she makes $203,000 in salary, and more than $300,000 with incentives. That's more than any other Red Cross chapter CEO in America makes.

Commentary: More Red Cross Criticism - ABC News

Then there was the New Jersey scandal. I should do a thread on this:eusa_angel:

I mean why would they need donated food, water, clothing and bedding. The Red Cross personnel wouldn't be able to rip of victims and donors would they now?

This explains why they love, just love, love love $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ca$h.

The American Red Cross may be expert at responding to public disasters, but for years it has failed to get a grip on financial disasters at its local chapters.

There's the fundraiser in Louisiana caught padding her own bank account with donations, the manager in Pennsylvania who embezzled to support her crack cocaine habit and the executive in Maryland who forged signatures on purchase orders meant for disaster victims, to name a few.

But the biggest criminal scandal inside the Red Cross surfaced in New Jersey last year. And though it's been kept off the front pages, it ranks among the biggest charity frauds ever.

No they don't.

You ever work for the Red Cross?

I did. We had to warehouse a shit load of clothing they couldn't use.

That..costs money.

I worked for The Salvation Army, everything helps. If the Red Cross can't figure out what to do with the clothes they don't deserve my money.
The Salvation Army kicks ass. I had two uncles in Belgium in Dec 1944... when the lines broke in the Ardennes, and the troops were in disarray trying to regroup, the Salvation Army was on the FRONT giving our soldiers cigarettes, chocolate bars, coffee, and other items that were needed. They both said you could find the Red Cross SELLING the same items to the troops... safely behind the lines miles away from the front.

Doesn't surprise me a bit they only want cash.

I was a bell ringer once, and I heard stories like that all the time. I have nothing but contempt for the Red Cross.

I wouldn't give the Red Cross a dime. Of course I don't give to any charity that provides benefits to people.

I worked for The Salvation Army, everything helps. If the Red Cross can't figure out what to do with the clothes they don't deserve my money.
The Salvation Army kicks ass. I had two uncles in Belgium in Dec 1944... when the lines broke in the Ardennes, and the troops were in disarray trying to regroup, the Salvation Army was on the FRONT giving our soldiers cigarettes, chocolate bars, coffee, and other items that were needed. They both said you could find the Red Cross SELLING the same items to the troops... safely behind the lines miles away from the front.

Doesn't surprise me a bit they only want cash.

I was a bell ringer once, and I heard stories like that all the time. I have nothing but contempt for the Red Cross.

Ditto re: Red Cross. They are charity scam artists.

The Salvation Army is true to its core beliefs. I have nothing but the utmost respect for them.

No they don't.

You ever work for the Red Cross?

I did. We had to warehouse a shit load of clothing they couldn't use.

That..costs money.

The Red Cross and Salvation Army work in completely different ways and have completely different goals. The Red Cross needs quick efficient help at the time of crisis, and the absolute quickest way to do that is with money and their preset system of distribution.

And The Salvation Army just does what needs to be done. During a disaster they essentially restructure their organization, giving the people who are on the scene absolute authority to make decisions about what is needed. The Red Cross prefers to go in like they already have the answers, keep all authority in their main office, can't adapt to something totally unexpected because their checklist doesn't cover it, and usually throws money at everyone.

Guess which one people remember in the long run.

Last edited:
"American Red Cross
The do-gooders at the American Red Cross do a good job of spending your money when you donate. They manage to keep administrative expenses at less than 5% of their total overhead, and they spend 92.1% of their income on actual programs that benefit the community. Whether it's teacher CPR, or managing crisis during the aftermath of a disaster, the Red Cross puts your money to good use."

What Percentage of Donations Go to Charity

I love how they redefine overhead to exclude things like teaching classes.

“We have a lot of goods here that these people will need. We have heavy hearts, as you know, with all the suffering going on. There are a lot of people who were hurting this morning, who were hurting last night. We’re going to box them [donations] up, then send them into New Jersey.”

The candidate has also asked supporters to send monetary donations to the Red Cross to help the storm victims. Although the Red Cross prefers that people send money instead of collecting needed items, the South Jersey Red Cross is already prepared to take the items generously donated at the Romney relief event. The candidate’s victory centers across the state are also accepting items to send to Hurricane Sandy victims.

Read more at Mitt Romney Collecting Donations For Hurricane Sandy Victims In Ohio

Forum List

Back